You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files fails to open - "features from a later version"

Hi @Dennison

Did you try the file I uploaded for you which you should be able to open in 2.0.4…

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

22 minutes ago, Dennison said:

Thank you very much - I only saw the posting now. I will do this tomorrow morning when I can focus fully and follow your helpful instructions.

That's no problem at all, let us know how you get on and whether the file works for you... :)

On 3/18/2023 at 10:48 PM, Hangman said:

Hi @Dennison,

It looks as though the file causing the main issue with your Publisher document is loose compression fittting.svg on Page 106.

I've hopefully managed to repair your file so you should be able to open it in 2.0.4 but I suggest you do the following...

1. Open loose compression fittting.svg in Designer and re-export it so you have a 'clean' version of the file
  2. Download the attached version of your file MDB2 MASTER Mar 16C (Repaired).afpub and save it in the a new folder
  3. Open Resource Manager and then re-link all your files
  4. Save your Publisher document
  5. Close the file and Quit Publisher and then see if you can still open the file now all the graphic files are re-linked

There is something very odd going on with a large number of your .eps and .svg files, 114 of them show a placed size with a negative X value which makes little sense. I have no idea whether or not these files are causing an issue with your Publisher document, as far as I can tell they're not but it would be very helpful if we can find out from one of the moderators what might be causing this issue and if it is likely to have any impact...

While rebuilding your file I had a couple of instances where I received an error messasge saying the file couldn't locate where it had been saved to and had to close but I found simply renaming the file fixed the issue, quitting Publisher may also do the same thing. Again, I'm unsure what is causing that issue but I have seen it before and it may be a sign that something else is wrong so just something to keep an eye out for.

The final strange thing I noticed is that five of the fonts used in your document, namely American Typewriter, Arial, PT Sans, PT Serif and Symbol show the status of Unsupported characters used in Font Manager. Once again, I don't think that is causing an issue but perhaps something to fix if you are able to identify the characters in question.

Let me know whether you are able to open the Publisher file and whether you are able to continue working on it once you've relinked your graphic files or whether you start to see crashes or get the same issue with The File Includes Features from a Later Version of Affinity message... I would advise saving often when making changes...

MDB2 MASTER Mar 16C (Repaired).afpub

Thank you - the file opens, I've Saved As with a new name.  BIG relief.

4 hours ago, prouddaughter said:

I'm glad the BETA is working, but of course I would still like to know why I can't open any of my files from this year with version 1.10.1.1198. 

yes, i'd like to know why the Beta crashes on open on my computer.

Is there a reson why you have not updated to V2. ?

4 hours ago, prouddaughter said:

but of course I would still like to know why I can't open any of my files from this year with version 1.10.1.1198. 

You're using 1.10.1? Why such an old release? Since then they've released 1.10.4, 1.10.5, and 1.10.6.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You're using 1.10.1? Why such an old release? Since then they've released 1.10.4, 1.10.5, and 1.10.6.

I have Affinity Suite 2 and keep it up-to-date. The last time it updated was two days ago. I am going to update again today. 

Says I have the latest version, 2.0.4.1701

Something very strange is going on. Seems there are two different versions (besides BETA) running on my machine. I have no idea how that occurred. Looks like I have to do some housekeeping. When I re-opened version 2.... just now, all my files came up. Until two days ago, I never had a problem and never noticed anything untoward. I updated to version 2 as soon as it came out. 

I guess I will consider this a closed case. The IT girl in me wants to know how this could have possibly happened, but I will let it slide. My program is working flawlessly again today. Mind you, I only have one icon on my start up menu, and that's how I always start the program. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. 

Anyway, thanks for the assistance. It's nice to know that I can receive instantaneous help when it's needed. 

Edited by prouddaughter
additional info

On 3/19/2023 at 6:17 PM, Dennison said:

Thank you very much - I only saw the posting now. I will do this tomorrow morning when I can focus fully and follow your helpful instructions.

Hi @Dennison, I thought I would just follow up to see whether you'd had an opportunity to check out the repaired Publisher file yet. I'm curious to see if it works for you and I also wanted to ask which method you used to add your .eps and .svg files, as in, are the placed in your Publisher file using File > Place, dragged from the Finder or Containing Folder or copy/pasted from Designer into your document...

I'd also be curious to understand, if you can recall, what you did to the document just prior to no longer being able to open it owing to the 'features from a later version' message appearing... :)

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Dennison, I thought I would just follow up to see whether you'd had an opportunity to check out the repaired Publisher file yet. I'm curious to see if it works for you and I also wanted to ask which method you used to add your .eps and .svg files, as in, are the placed in your Publisher file using File > Place, dragged from the Finder or Containing Folder or copy/pasted from Designer into your document...

I'd also be curious to understand, if you can recall, what you did to the document just prior to no longer being able to open it owing to the 'features from a later version' message appearing... :)

Apologies, I thought I'd notified you.  Yes thank you, i followed your instructions and got the file opened again - saved etc.  All good.

The problems with the AfPub file always happen just after adding a new svg drawing.  Program crashes or cannot save (have to Save As) in which case I save a new version - hence Mar16C filename.  Curiously, if I wait maybe an hour before saving the file, then the new drawing does not cause the program to crash or hang up.  This may just be coincidence, but it happens regularly.

Adding svg:  Create drawing in Af Designer. Export as SVG file into Drawings Folder. Use Place Image Tool to select new file from Drawings Folder and insert into the Master File.   I like to save immediately - 10% chance the program will crash if I save immediately. 

Hope this helps.  Thank you again

Hi @Dennison

My apologies, I completely missed your earlier post but I'm really glad you have a working file again... :)

Thanks for the additional information regarding the SVG files, that's really useful... Would you be happy to upload a small handful of SVG files that you know have caused this particular issue so we can take a look to see if there is anything unsual about them...

I did notice (as mentioned previously) that there are a mix of 114 EPS and SVG files with negative placed X values which makes little sense (I've attached a list of the files in question) so anything you can upload would be really helpful in trying to track down the possible cause of the 'features from a later version' issue...

Many thanks...

Negative Placed Values.rtf

3 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Dennison

My apologies, I completely missed your earlier post but I'm really glad you have a working file again... :)

Thanks for the additional information regarding the SVG files, that's really useful... Would you be happy to upload a small handful of SVG files that you know have caused this particular issue so we can take a look to see if there is anything unsual about them...

I did notice (as mentioned previously) that there are a mix of 114 EPS and SVG files with negative placed X values which makes little sense (I've attached a list of the files in question) so anything you can upload would be really helpful in trying to track down the possible cause of the 'features from a later version' issue...

Many thanks...

Negative Placed Values.rtf 4.39 kB · 0 downloads

Multiple issues have returned - can no longer open the most recent file.  The latest error message is - file open in another app (which it was not)

Here are three new drawings that have caused the app to go off the rails again. 

And here the last two versions of the master file both created today.

Mar21 is 83.2 MB.

Mar21B is 54.6 MB     Why such a huge difference when the files were saved just 13 minutes apart.

Mar21B was created as Save As file after Mar21 file would no longer save.

Thanks for your help. 

Dennison

annother app.jpg

unrecoverable error.jpgTapped hole.svg

access lost.jpg

Taps Handle.svg Inspection port - tapped.svg bolt Inspection port - tapped.svg MDB2 MASTER Mar 21B.afpub MDB2 MASTER Mar 21.afpub

Tapped hole.svg

Thanks for the update… would you be willing to create a .zip of all the EPS and SVG files in your book thus far an upload them. I can’t be 100% sure but I suspect this odd negative X placed value may be related to the cause of your file issues and it would be very helpful if we could try replacing these particular graphics in the file to see if they are replaced correctly with a non negative X value.

I've hit the all three of those error message and I'm still unsure what causes them but I did find with the 'Save failed because access to the file was lost' error that simply renaming the file in the Finder then allow the file to be re-opened.

In theory your file should open with the Beta version though you have to remember that at the current time it is just that, a Beta, which isn’t generally recommended for production work. I’m unsure of the timeframe for the official v2.1 release but it would be sensible to try and rectify what initially appears to be the issue with the linked placed files and understand what is causing it.

Are you able to open any file or create a new file with the Beta or does it always crash… have you tried launching the Beta while holding the Ctrl key and selecting Clear when the Clear User Data dialogue appears which basically does a factory reset of the Beta?

I'll take a look at the files you uploaded and let you know if I discover anything...

11 hours ago, Hangman said:

Thanks for the update… would you be willing to create a .zip of all the EPS and SVG files in your book thus far an upload them. I can’t be 100% sure but I suspect this odd negative X placed value may be related to the cause of your file issues and it would be very helpful if we could try replacing these particular graphics in the file to see if they are replaced correctly with a non negative X value.

In theory your file should open with the Beta version though you have to remember that at the current time it is just that, a Beta, which isn’t generally recommended for production work. I’m unsure of the timeframe for the official v2.1 release but it would be sensible to try and rectify what initially appears to be the issue with the linked placed files and understand what is causing it.

Are you able to open any file or create a new file with the Beta or does it always crash… have you tried launching the Beta while holding the Ctrl key and selecting Clear when the Clear User Data dialogue appears which basically does a factory reset of the Beta?

Out of interest, are you on Mac or Windows and which version of the OS are you using?

Good morning.

Thanks for your reply. 

Here is the zipped file with all the drawings files and the latest Crash Report on attempting to open the Beta.

Downloaded a fresh Beta this morning - but still the same.  Crashes on open - never gets to the Clear User Data dialogue.  

click Open - crash

Thank you for following up these issues,

Dennison

MDB2 Final Drawings SVG.zip AfPub Beta Crash Report Mar 22.docx

• Staff

Hi @Dennison,

Regarding the crash when opening the beta, can I double check you definitely ran up the newly downloaded beta when providing that crash report in AfPub Beta Crash Report Mar22.docx, as it's indicating it's crashing in 2.1.0.1713 which is not the latest (the latest is 2.1.0.1732 and was released earlier today)

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

23 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Hi @Dennison,

Regarding the crash when opening the beta, can I double check you definitely ran up the newly downloaded beta when providing that crash report in AfPub Beta Crash Report Mar22.docx, as it's indicating it's crashing in 2.1.0.1713 which is not the latest (the latest is 2.1.0.1732 and was released earlier today)

Thanks

I downloaded the Beta from the Beta site about 6 hours ago.

26 minutes ago, Dennison said:

I downloaded the Beta from the Beta site about 6 hours ago.

Does this mean you are now running 2.1.0.1732? Your files 'should' open using that version, @Jon P was making reference to the crash report you kindly uploaded as it references an earlier Beta 2.1.0.1713.

Could you perhaps quickly see if you can open the files you uploaded earlier today in the latest Beta without issue and let us know if you still receive similar error messages or crashes.

33 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Does this mean you are now running 2.1.0.1732? Your files 'should' open using that version, @Jon P was making reference to the crash report you kindly uploaded as it references an earlier Beta 2.1.0.1713.

Could you perhaps quickly see if you can open the files you uploaded earlier today in the latest Beta without issue and let us know if you still receive similar error messages or crashes.

Apologies for my ignorance.

Where do it find the Beta version if the app crashed as it opens.  It's not on the Beta website.

7 minutes ago, Dennison said:

Where do it find the Beta version if the app crashed as it opens.  It's not on the Beta website.

I'm confused. Earlier you said you downloaded the Beta version, which would seem to mean you knew where to find it :)

In any case, and especially in case you're not actually participating in the beta process yet: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm confused. Earlier you said you downloaded the Beta version, which would seem to mean you knew where to find it :)

In any case, and especially in case you're not actually participating in the beta process yet: 

My question is where to find the Version Number of the download - not the download. This morning I downloaded the "latest" from the Beta site but was then informed I was NOT running the latest Beta, but the app crashes as it opens and the Beta site does not give exactly version numbers.  Hence my question - where can I find the version number?

I think @Dennison means he couldn’t auto update directly via the app because the Beta version he was using kept crashing on launch…