You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files fails to open - "features from a later version"

Same thing happened to me a few minutes ago. I created a cover for my book and all was working just fine. Went to the store, came home a half hour later and when I went to reopen the same file, I received the exact message your did. Tried again. It then asked me if I wanted to update, so I said yes, thinking that might solve the problem. No! Same thing happened. I can't open any of my Affinity Publisher files and am in the middle of writing and publishing my book. Never had a problem before today and nothing has changed on my end. I work with Publisher files at least 3-4 times per week. 

I even uninstalled Publisher and rebooted Windows and reinstalled. Tried an earlier installation file. No! Tried the latest update. NO! 

Running version 1.10.4.1....
Desktop PC 16 Gigs of RAM
1 Tera SD drive
Windows 10
Everything is up-to-date on my computer

Everything else works fine on my end including Affinity Photo and Designer. No problems. 

Help! 

Cant.jpg

Hi @prouddaughter and welcome to the forums...

Are you able to upload your book cover Publisher file along with any resources if they are linked so we can take a look...

Could you also confirm whether when saving your Publisher documents you are saving them directly to OneDrive, as indicated in the error message or whether you normally save them to your local C drive but then back them up on OneDrive?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

39 minutes ago, prouddaughter said:

I just tried opening files from my book last year and it opened those. However, I went to another file folder with all the saved versions from my new book dating 2-14-23 to 3-18-23, and I get the error message I shared above. 

Very sorry to hear you too are having this problem too.

Can you open the AfPub Beta Windows?   Carl123 reported my file could be opened by the beta - but the beta crashes on open on my computer.

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Hi @prouddaughter and welcome to the forums...

Are you able to upload your book cover Publisher file along with any resources if they are linked so we can take a look...

Could you also confirm whether when saving your Publisher documents you are saving them directly to OneDrive, as indicated in the error message or whether you normally save them to your local C drive but then back them up on OneDrive?

I thought about the One Drive files a few minutes after I posted here. Since my older files opened without a problem, it made me think. I'm back at my computer now and will take a look. It may have something to do with synchronization. 

Just now, prouddaughter said:

I thought about the One Drive files a few minutes after I posted here. Since my older files opened without a problem, it made me think. I'm back at my computer now and will take a look. It may have something to do with synchronization.

Okay no problem, let us know what you discover...

Hi @Dennison,

It looks as though the file causing the main issue with your Publisher document is loose compression fittting.svg on Page 106.

I've hopefully managed to repair your file so you should be able to open it in 2.0.4 but I suggest you do the following...

1. Open loose compression fittting.svg in Designer and re-export it so you have a 'clean' version of the file
  2. Download the attached version of your file MDB2 MASTER Mar 16C (Repaired).afpub and save it in the a new folder
  3. Open Resource Manager and then re-link all your files
  4. Save your Publisher document
  5. Close the file and Quit Publisher and then see if you can still open the file now all the graphic files are re-linked

There is something very odd going on with a large number of your .eps and .svg files, 114 of them show a placed size with a negative X value which makes little sense. I have no idea whether or not these files are causing an issue with your Publisher document, as far as I can tell they're not but it would be very helpful if we can find out from one of the moderators what might be causing this issue and if it is likely to have any impact...

While rebuilding your file I had a couple of instances where I received an error messasge saying the file couldn't locate where it had been saved to and had to close but I found simply renaming the file fixed the issue, quitting Publisher may also do the same thing. Again, I'm unsure what is causing that issue but I have seen it before and it may be a sign that something else is wrong so just something to keep an eye out for.

The final strange thing I noticed is that five of the fonts used in your document, namely American Typewriter, Arial, PT Sans, PT Serif and Symbol show the status of Unsupported characters used in Font Manager. Once again, I don't think that is causing an issue but perhaps something to fix if you are able to identify the characters in question.

Let me know whether you are able to open the Publisher file and whether you are able to continue working on it once you've relinked your graphic files or whether you start to see crashes or get the same issue with The File Includes Features from a Later Version of Affinity message... I would advise saving often when making changes...

MDB2 MASTER Mar 16C (Repaired).afpub

Very strange. Even though I am opening files straight from my hard drive and NOT One Drive (this morning), I still can't open any of the 20 plus files from Feb to March of this year. However, I can open all my files from my previous book, etc., from last year. And as I mentioned, I had a file open a half hour previous to going to the store, then when I came back and tried to reopen it, I received the error message. 

I am attaching my latest book file as well as the cover design. 

Thank you so much. As you can imagine, I am quite beside myself not being able to access my work. 

yet to come 3-18-23.afpub Cover 3-18-23.afpub

25 minutes ago, prouddaughter said:

Very strange. Even though I am opening files straight from my hard drive and NOT One Drive (this morning), I still can't open any of the 20 plus files from Feb to March of this year. However, I can open all my files from my previous book, etc., from last year. And as I mentioned, I had a file open a half hour previous to going to the store, then when I came back and tried to reopen it, I received the error message. 

I am attaching my latest book file as well as the cover design. 

Thank you so much. As you can imagine, I am quite beside myself not being able to access my work. 

yet to come 3-18-23.afpub 30.5 MB · 1 download Cover 3-18-23.afpub 9.77 MB · 1 download

Good morning.  i just downloaded Yet to Come and the Cover - BOTH files opened on my Macbook Pro Venture 13.2.1.  

6 minutes ago, prouddaughter said:

I will try the BETA file this morning too. 😉

Good luck with that - I could not get the Beta to open - it crashes immediately on open. Yet someone else reported they could open my file in their Beta.  

Please let me konw if you manage to open your Beta.  Maybe my file would open on your system. 

7 minutes ago, Dennison said:

Good morning.  i just downloaded Yet to Come and the Cover - BOTH files opened on my Macbook Pro Venture 13.2.1.  

In Version 1.10?

That is what the user is using

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

20 minutes ago, Dennison said:

Good luck with that - I could not get the Beta to open - it crashes immediately on open. Yet someone else reported they could open my file in their Beta.  

Please let me konw if you manage to open your Beta.  Maybe my file would open on your system. 

Yes, the Beta version works great on my PC. No problems so far. 

24 minutes ago, Dennison said:

I will download your files and try to open on my system. I'll get right back to you. 

15 minutes ago, prouddaughter said:

I was able to download and open yours in BETA! 

Great news.  Unfortunately for some reason, I am not able.

Could you please open the file and export as a pdf - pages (not spreads)? Send it to me so that I can extract the latest update. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Dennison said:

Great news.  Unfortunately for some reason, I am not able.

Could you please open the file and export as a pdf - pages (not spreads)? Send it to me so that I can extract the latest update. Thank you.

Guess what? I tried twice to export it as a PDF and it crashed twice before completing the request. Sorry! Dang!  I'm going to try exporting mine too, using the BETA version.