You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add extrusion into Affinity Designer

I ain't gonna buy the Affinity V2 upgrade until Affinity Designer has a feature similar to Illustrator Extrusion[1], it is essential, for creating good logos, since, after using Affinity Photo V1[2] for a year (from early 2021 to early 2022), I realized my primary, field of work that I'm interested in is Logo Design; I've created more logos than I've done for other, general things. Please up-vote this guys, if you want this cool feature

Notes:

• 1. I did not use nor buy Illustrator, I just saw videos of people using it, and that's it.
  • 2. I only had and have Affinity Photo V1, and that's all I have.

If the title is too "spicy", let me know and I will change it. Edit: Title changed.

Edited by Hedreon
Change title and add note, it was too spicy

5 hours ago, Hedreon said:

If the title is too "spicy", let me know and I will change it.

image.png.4ed95c90f57133e54e084e9d68ecf8e4.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I'm not all that big a fan of the stock Extrude and Bevel effect in Adobe Illustrator because it only works in 3D perspective and doesn't do the basic "parallel" type of extrusion. The extrusions it does create are very good (there's now a "classic" version as well as a more advanced 3D version that renders a pixel-based result). But the effect just doesn't deliver the common "block shadow" effect we're used to seeing in things like logos or embellished type objects. Astute Graphics has a huge arsenal of plugins for Adobe Illustrator; one of them is AG Block Shadow and it does exactly what Illustrator's classic Extrude and Bevel effect cannot do. The plugin delivers very good results.

CorelDRAW has a decent Extrude effect; it will do the extrusions in parallel block shadow style or in a defined perspective. But I often have to go back and do quite a bit of clean-up work on the end results due to all sorts of node trash the effect generates.

It would be pretty nice if Affinity Designer had a decent Extrude effect. If such an effect is added I would recommend it include a variety of settings for different style results as well as parallel and 3D perspective options.

Please add extrusion. it is extremely time consuming to create this manually, especially for multiple letters or complex objects

i would suggest the process be 

1. select text or object
  2. extrude (depth being a parameter slider or number)
  3. select, convert to curves
  4. user then cutomizes the shadows, gradients, etc.

Extrusion is something I've been wanting to see in AD since illustrator released it. Currently you only have the 3D fx in the effect studio thats only available. Its not really the same but it has the 3dness to it. I want to see Extrusion be an fx in the effect studio. Its gonna take time to build so you probably wont see this for another version build or two. 

9 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Extrusion is something I've been wanting to see in AD since illustrator released it. Currently you only have the 3D fx in the effect studio thats only available. Its not really the same but it has the 3dness to it. I want to see Extrusion be an fx in the effect studio. Its gonna take time to build so you probably wont see this for another version build or two. 

I like the FX idea, makes sense. I guess one would then convert the extruded object to curves to allow customization of the extruded shapes. 

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner in AD, and I have to say that I really like it: I find it simple and consistent, and it's been giving me great satisfaction in logo design (even though it's not my specific field). However, like you, when it came to creating some logos for a client, I encountered difficulties because there isn't actually an effective extrusion function.
I've watched some videos on YouTube on how to create an extrusion effect with AD. The first one is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm97-Flm9U
Very interesting, and I must say it's incredibly perfect (tested).
However, I found this one to be even better. It allows you to control the direction both vertically and horizontally in real-time, simply by using the arrow keys (tested).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_QDoGy0cOA
And finally, there's this one, which, honestly, despite having read it several times, I can't fully understand the steps (perhaps it's a limitation on my part).
https://www.goodpassive.com/how-to-create-good-3d-extruded-text-affinity-designer/

However, as intriguing as these methods are, I would truly prefer if Serif introduced the extrusion feature or released a plugin that would allow for creating this effect (preferably as an FX function). Some clients have requested these kinds of logos from me, and I've had to go through hoops to create them, especially because I reject the idea of using Illustrator.

Martino

• 3 months later...

I was used to use Extrusion in Macromedia Freehand, and it was very nice. Used it a lot oft times, and it had a nice set of options/settings. 

Since Macromedia were bought ot by Adobe, i was expecting them to include the ame functionality in Illustrator. But it's still not the same … 

I was very puzzled when i found out, that my beloved tool from Affinity does not have this functionality, since i believed, this is  a standard tool in vector drawing software. 

Please add an Extrusion function! I also need it!

My two cents... I don't like these extrusion feature. It gives a 70's look to logos or other designs. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes a 1970's look is desired for certain graphics projects. Extrusion/block-shadow effects can be added for other reasons. Sometimes the effects filter works as a way to speed up the drawing process of making isometric 3D designs. One person's taste should not be a reason to keep a certain effect out of a vector drawing application. Let's face it, people do all sorts of extremely tasteless things with graphics even with the most simple of tool sets. I strongly dislike the Arial typeface, but lettering in that typeface looks especially hideous when people squeeze and stretch it out of its normal proportions. I see that all the time on poorly designed signs. But I wouldn't ask software developers to prevent users from being able to squeeze or stretch lettering. There are certain cases where being able to squeeze, stretch or shear type is necessary (certain simulated 3D drawings come to mind).

👍+1 Extrusion is musthave feature.  I would love to do without Blender to create them.

🖥️ Intel Core i5-8600K | nVidia RTX 3060 | 32Go RAM DDR4 | Windows 11
📅 Affinity Designer 2 |
illustrator | Blender | Delphi | VSCode | FLStudio | Audition
💰 Logo.Web.UI Designer | Full stack Dev

Resources Affinity Forum - Resources - Palettes, Colors swatchs

On 3/17/2023 at 11:25 AM, Hedreon said:

it is essential

8 hours ago, Evehne said:

Extrusion is musthave feature

Is it?
I had extrusion in Illustrator since version CS3, and I haven't used it once.

Nice to have for sure, but definitely not "essential".

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Is it?
I had extrusion in Illustrator since version CS3, and I haven't used it once.

When you jump from Blender to Designer 128 times in 2 hours, it's actually not essential, sure, it's vital. 
It's not because "Loukash" have only used it once in twenty years... that we do the same as "Loukash" ... "Loukash" does not have a monopoly on knowing what is essential to others. And "Loukash" forgets that the more functionality Designer has, the more we do without other software, the more productive we are and the quicker we invoice our customers. 😉

🖥️ Intel Core i5-8600K | nVidia RTX 3060 | 32Go RAM DDR4 | Windows 11
📅 Affinity Designer 2 |
illustrator | Blender | Delphi | VSCode | FLStudio | Audition
💰 Logo.Web.UI Designer | Full stack Dev

Resources Affinity Forum - Resources - Palettes, Colors swatchs

Just now, Evehne said:

It's not because "Loukash" have only used it once in twenty years

Exactly!
Congrats, it appears that you may have actually got my message between the lines. ;) 

In other words, Serif may first want to figure out how many of the ±1000000 Affinity users are also Blender users, and whether it's worth to invest resources into such a complex feature, and whether to implement it in three, two, one…

As I said: 

2 hours ago, loukash said:

The boolean operations "bugfix" via the paid v2 upgrade was desperately essential.
Vector warp was essential.
Next up a vector blend tool would be pretty much essential – and likely requested about from the start back in 2014.
Variable fonts support is essential.
The list is long, end everyone has other "essential" favorites.
Also, everyone is free to chime in and comment that they don't deem something "essential". That's the sheer nature of public forums.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 minutes ago, loukash said:

That's the sheer nature of public forums.

... especially in the forum marked "Feedback".
It's interesting how some users feel the need to react aggressively if someone dares to express a different opinion.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

some users feel the need to react aggressively if someone dares to express a different opinion

That's OK, I'm not always totally innocent either… :D 

• 1 month later...

This is making look the whole Affinity software quite basic for today's standards. No a single piece of AI, including the one you get out of the box in Apple with Core ML in Affinity Photo, not morphing, no extrusion in Designer. Every time I want a feature I end up in an Affinity forum with users "please asking for this".

Affinity needs funding and get their act together or they're done.

28 minutes ago, Juan Garcia said:

or they're done

Oh yes!
Now that you've finally said it, Serif (Europe) Ltd. is about to fold in three, two, one.
There.
They're no more.
Oh well.
It was good while it lasted.
Move on, folks, nothing to see here anymore.

Spoiler

:D 

2 minutes ago, loukash said:

Oh yes!
Now that you've finally said it, Serif (Europe) Ltd. is about to fold in three, two, one.
There.
They're no more.
Oh well.
It was good while it lasted.
Move on, folks, nothing to see here anymore.

Reveal hidden contents

:D 

Well. I am not buying the next version of Designer or Photo until somebody in YouTube show these features. I spend way more in Pixelmator Pro than affinity Photo and I am starting to look for alternatives to Designer that is not Illustrator. They will not get more support that is for sure. And the less they produce updates the less credible they will become. So yes. They are at risk. Not because of me, but when your forums are fill up of "please add this" and the replies are no can do ... does not look good.

In professional graphic design, the technique of extrusion is used for various purposes. Extrusion, essentially, is the process of extending a two-dimensional shape into a three-dimensional object. This technique is widely employed in software like Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW for creating 3D effects and depth in designs. Here are some common uses in the graphic design industry:

Logo Design and Branding: Extrusion adds depth to logos and branding elements, making them more visually appealing and dynamic. This can be particularly useful in digital media where 3D effects can help logos stand out.

Typography and Text Effects: Graphic designers often use extrusion to create 3D text effects. This can enhance the visual impact of advertisements, posters, and web graphics.

Product Mockups and Packaging Design: Extrusion is useful for creating realistic mockups of products and packaging. Designers can present how a label or design would look on a three-dimensional surface.

Infographics and Data Visualization: Extrusion can add a novel dimension to infographics and data visualizations, making them more engaging and easier to comprehend.

Animation and Motion Graphics: In motion graphics, extrusion techniques can be used to create 3D elements that move and interact, adding depth and realism to animations.

Web and UI Design: For user interfaces and web design, extrusion can be used to create icons and elements that have a more tactile, three-dimensional feel.

Architectural and Interior Design Visualization: Though not traditionally part of graphic design, some graphic designers might use extrusion in conjunction with other tools to create visualizations of architectural or interior designs.

Extrusion is more widely used in professional graphic design than one might initially think. Its ability to add depth and a three-dimensional quality to designs makes it a valuable tool in various graphic design disciplines.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces. I know, of course, that Canva guarantees the opposite.

"The opinion of 10000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject" - Marcus Aurelius

macOS/iPadOS M1 + M2 (latest)