You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I set the aspect ratio instead of using specific dimensions?

Not sure I fully understand but in APhoto can't you just crop the image with a custom ratio of 4:5 then export it?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

image.png.dc0ab045d69ed16f9b216d616306c40e.png

Works the same in V1.10 The small cog to the left of the mode setting also lists common ratios you can use.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I don't understand the question. What does exporting using an aspect ratio rather than a size mean? 

Surely it would matter whether the image was:

• 4px x 5px; or
  • 4mm x 5mm; or
  • 4in x 5in

The desired size of the output is important.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't understand the question. What does exporting using an aspect ratio rather than a size mean? 

Surely it would matter whether the image was:

• 4px x 5px; or
  • 4mm x 5mm; or
  • 4in x 5in

The desired size of the output is important.

You can have any size image you want and you can crop that image to any ratio you want, so you can have a 10in x 8in image which is 5:4 ratio but what if you wanted to have a 16:9 ratio, obviously you are going to lose some of that 10in x 8in but nevertheless you can still crop and export the subsequent image with a 16:9 ratio.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You can have any size image you want and you can crop that image to any ratio you want, so you can have a 10in x 8in image which is 5:4 ratio but what if you wanted to have a 16:9 ratio, obviously you are going to lose some of that 10in x 8in but nevertheless you can still crop and export the subsequent image with a 16:9 ratio.

Of course, but it makes no sense to me to say i want to Export with a 16:9 aspect ratio but I don't care about the image size.

But maybe I'm just confused.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Of course, but it makes no sense to me to say i want to Export with a 16:9 aspect ratio but I don't care about the image size.

But maybe I'm just confused.

Or maybe I am lol! I think Vop is on the right track for what she wants and i'm sure if she hits a problem she'll come back but it never hurts to ask more questions Walt does it.

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Or maybe I am lol! I think Vop is on the right track for what he wants and i'm sure if he hits a problem he'll come back but it never hurts to ask more questions Walt does it.

Yes, you've given me (Tammy) exactly what I needed, thank you!

1 hour ago, Vophsigem said:

Yes, you've given me (Tammy) exactly what I needed, thank you!

Oops! corrected :D

On 3/17/2023 at 5:50 AM, Vophsigem said:

I want to export image files using an aspect ratio (ex: 4:5) instead of specific dimensions like 8x10 in or pixels. How do I do this?

Also the export window options allows to lock/unlock the aspect ratio.

1. Open the lock.
2. Type the wanted aspect ratio.
3. Close the lock.
4. Type the desired pixel size in any of the two fields.
-> Affinity auto-sets the other field according to your previously typed aspect ratio.

1405171359_exportaspectratio.jpg.a2c50ba09c469f491323fb274f027a7d.jpg

Note, once you unlocked the aspect ratio and typed a different ratio, the exported result will become stretched. From your question ("export") it is not clear whether you want alter the image aspect ratio and thus stretch the resulting image – or if you just want to crop the image in a certain aspect ratio … which would require the workflow before export as shown above by @firstdefence.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 3/18/2023 at 3:22 PM, thomaso said:

Also the export window options allows to lock/unlock the aspect ratio.

1. Open the lock.
2. Type the wanted aspect ratio.
3. Close the lock.
4. Type the desired pixel size in any of the two fields.
-> Affinity auto-sets the other field according to your previously typed aspect ratio.

1405171359_exportaspectratio.jpg.a2c50ba09c469f491323fb274f027a7d.jpg

Note, once you unlocked the aspect ratio and typed a different ratio, the exported result will become stretched. From your question ("export") it is not clear whether you want alter the image aspect ratio and thus stretch the resulting image – or if you just want to crop the image in a certain aspect ratio … which would require the workflow before export as shown above by @firstdefence.

Thanks for your response. My question was answered a few above, but this doesn't change the aspect ratio, it changes the pixels or the inches or whichever measuring unit is chosen. Only Photo has the ratio function. There you can choose a 2:3, 4:5 etc. This allows the doc/image to be resized according to a set ratio and not actual pixels, inches, etc. It's a quick and dirty way of creating multiple standardized sizes. A HUGE time saver.

4 hours ago, Red Sands said:

Sounds like you want to try the export persona - look at the options here, 32w, 32h for width and height or 1x,2x for 1 x width and 2 x height ... maybe useful. Never tried these combos and parameters myself though. 

image.png.8aabe87d3395853772b29f99f0c2e44f.png

Thanks. This will change the size during a single export, but the ratio is a different function and it's only available in Photo.

4 hours ago, Vophsigem said:

but this doesn't change the aspect ratio, it changes the pixels or the inches or whichever measuring unit is chosen. Only Photo has the ratio function. There you can choose a 2:3, 4:5 etc.

2 hours ago, Vophsigem said:

the ratio is a different function and it's only available in Photo.

I'd rather say you can use various fields (crop, transform, export) to change the ratio. Just consider that an image always has a ratio AND has dimensions, whereas a certain ratio always corresponds with certain pair of dimensions, for instance ratio 2:1 = 4:2 = 200x100 px or 1000x500 px or 3000x1500 px etc …

So, you would type the wanted ratio with an unlocked state of the fields, then lock them to type your desired size in only one of the two fields while the other value will get auto-set according to your previously typed ratio.

To me it is still not clear whether you want to "export image files using an aspect ratio (ex: 4:5)" where "export" would mean to stretch the image if it has a different than your set ratio – or whether you want to crop a part of the image with a certain ratio (and without stretching the image).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1