You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Paint Brush with gradient fill

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but here goes.

In Affinity Photo (v2.0.4, Windows 10) after activating the Paint Brush, is there a way to create or modify a gradient fill color so that I can paint with the gradient? It seems that I can't do that unless I've previously created the gradient in the Swatches panel.

All I can see for the Paint Brush are options to set a solid fill color.

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi Corgi, 

As it's pixel information it's not quite as flexible as using vectors.

However, there are plenty of methods to achieve what you want.

You could for example, clip a shape over your intended drawing area which has a gradient applied.

Lee

image.png

15 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

As it's pixel information it's not quite as flexible as using vectors.

However, there are plenty of methods to achieve what you want.

Thanks, Lee, but that's not quite what I was asking about. My mistake, since I used the wrong terminology; I shouldn't have said "fill" since it's really the stroke I'm interested in.

I can already use the paint brush and paint with a gradient stroke:

image.png.94bbba5551adbb917148273f3d0d2018.png

... The way I did this was to use the gradient tool to create a gradient, solely to get the gradient I wanted into the "Recent" swatch list. Then I chose that Recent swatch as the stroke color. As you can see above, I'm able to use the Paint Brush with that gradient.

However, I don't see how to modify the stroke gradient. If I double-click the stroke color in the Color or Swatches panel, I get the Color Chooser, rather than a dialog where I can change the gradient properties. So I'm wondering whether there's a more direct way to create and edit a gradient as a stroke color, since using the Swatches and Recent colors is cumbersome for this.

1 hour ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Corgi,

The above is essentially an unintended "feature", and as such the tools for it don't exist.

I do however think that it's a great idea to have a gradient editable in the colour chooser and i've suggested this to the devs.

Thank you, Lee. Please let me know if using this unintended feature is liable to cause problems, and/or whether I should submit an explicit feature request in the Feedback forum. Among other things, it's a great way to paint clouds. 🙂