You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Migrate your release version content to beta

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: Windows and macOS

For the convenience of Beta testers we have add an option in preferences to migrate all settings and content you have in your retail versions over the beta versions at anytime. You can find this under the beta menu of preferences.

image.png

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known issues

• HUB-295 - Copying of settings from Release to Beta isn't working on Windows

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

This is minor but for brand new panels like Cross References, this migration feature sets them smaller than their minimum height and their position to something other than the default.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff
26 minutes ago, footeg said:

This option is greyed out in Affinity Photo. Windows 11 latest update. Do I need to have all the beta apps installed to see this option?1423521278_Image1(2).png.9908ebf07d8b1a670e4a58f026e33d50.png

Theoretically it should be available if any v2 release app is installed; it doesn't have to be the same app.

• Staff
28 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

This is minor but for brand new panels like Cross References, this migration feature sets them smaller than their minimum height and their position to something other than the default.

Thanks Mike that's interesting; could be a data file got missed out. Which platform is this on?

2 minutes ago, Tom Lachecki said:

Thanks Mike that's interesting; could be a data file got missed out. Which platform is this on?

macOS Ventura

I also wound up in a situation where I couldn't open the cross ref panel - I'd choose it from the menu and it not only didn't appear, the menu item wasn't getting checked. I quit and then reloaded my 2.0.4 settings again a couple of times but couldn't duplicate this issue, but keep a watch out for it.

Btw, now that you've kindly added this feature, it would be nice to go the other way, too. 🙂 I had Publisher 2.1 beta set up exactly as I wanted it with keyboard shortcuts for the new features and with a revised panel layout since I'll be using cross refs all the time and had to sacrifice something else to make room. The shortcuts are easy to migrate back to retail since I can export those but studio panels are a bit more work. We users are a needy bunch!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

That might explain it Tom, thanks. I see the screenshot from Ash's post is from the Mac version of the program. In the Windows version preferences have become settings & the screenshot with Beta Program selected looks somewhat different to the Windows screenshot.

Thanks for the function, it makes things a lot easier.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

This ought to be a good convenience to us to help beta testing. Thank you.

However, I have found shortcuts do not seem to have been migrated when I clicked the “Copy Settings & Content From Release App” and allowed it to be restarted. Is that expected? I even tried twice. Curiously, the message that popped up stating “additional disk space required” showed a different amount. The first time, it showed around 176 Megabytes, while the second time it showed 916.8 MB.

I am attaching an export of my Publisher 2 Release keyboard shortcuts that I hoped would be imported into the Publisher 2 beta. The shortcut where I noticed it is that the “home” key on the extended keyboard should have gone to the first page in the document according to my settings.

Afterward, I imported the shortcuts in the older way, and here they were all copied as expected. Then, I tried the new setting migration again, and it replaced my shortcuts again (with I don’t know what) so that the home key no longer worked as I had defined. Could it be that the migration is importing from something different, like maybe one of the other Affinity apps? I am expecting Publisher 2 to Publisher 2 beta.

AffinityShortcut.affshortcuts

4 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

However, I have found shortcuts do not seem to have been migrated when I clicked the “Copy Settings & Content From Release App” and allowed it to be restarted. Is that expected?

Shortcuts were copied for me on macOS.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Curiously, the message that popped up stating “additional disk space required” showed a different amount. The first time, it showed around 176 Megabytes, while the second time it showed 916.8 MB.

The amount of space currently used by your beta content, which will be deleted, is taken into consideration for this calculation.

This is helpful for y'all as well because if we import everything instead of cherry-picking imports, it will offer as much opportunity to showcase bugs across various use cases. So while it's a bother, do add in as much portability as feasible. One of us will have some weird setup that will cause mayhem... no doubt... (edit) so while the convenience is very welcome, it makes our day-to-day usage in beta much more realistic...

• Staff
9 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

This is helpful for y'all as well because if we import everything instead of cherry-picking imports, it will offer as much opportunity to showcase bugs across various use cases. So while it's a bother, do add in as much portability as feasible. One of us will have some weird setup that will cause mayhem... no doubt... (edit) so while the convenience is very welcome, it makes our day-to-day usage in beta much more realistic...

Yes indeed :)