You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo not launching unless an SMB server is mounted

I'm running Affinity Photo 2 on my MacBook Pro since it was released, and have never had this issue until today. I'm currently at home, so not on my studio network, and when trying to launch AP, it hangs and hangs eventually macOS reports that one of my studio SMB servers can not be found, which make sense since I'm not at the studio:

image.png.4cfc4eb1406d0e9f5781dd7861b8ee0b.png

If I VPN connect to my studio, and mount this server, then AP will launch (or if I connect to VPN but don't mount the server, launching AP will mount the server automatically) — but it's not opening some file from the server. It just launches to the default open dialog -- to my templates page, however I verified that the templates are local:

image.png.e4eb791505f66f619b086f0b81def523.png

I have no indication of why it's trying go open my remote server on launch. Unfortunately unless the server is mounted, AP won't launch. It just keeps trying to hit the server and I have to force quit the app.

image.png.05995a57f468890d0e9859be448d4e9d.png

Any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? 

-Joseph 

• Staff

Hi PhotoJoseph,

This is a known issue that is currently logged with our developers to be fixed in a future version. If you navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo 2 and delete the MRU.dat file found there it should solve this issue for now.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff
13 minutes ago, PhotoJoseph said:

Hey @Callum thank you; I just replied to my own post that I'd resolved it by clearing the "Open Recent" menu. Is deleting the MRU.dat file the same thing? 

-Joseph 

We have have found both solutions work in the past but clearing recent files seems to be the more temperamental of the two! Glad to hear its now sorted hopefully we will have this issue solved soon.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

The issue "App attempts to reconnect to disconnected SMB share on launch" (REF: AFB-7024) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2023 at 3:52 AM, Serif Info Bot said:

The issue "App attempts to reconnect to disconnected SMB share on launch" (REF: AFB-7024) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

This fix was released internally/beta nearly two months ago… when can we expect this in the wild? I avoid beta apps like the plague. This issue still hits me nearly every time I use Affinity between studio and home. 

7 hours ago, PhotoJoseph said:

This fix was released internally/beta nearly two months ago… when can we expect this in the wild? I avoid beta apps like the plague. This issue still hits me nearly every time I use Affinity between studio and home. 

In another topic, Patrick Connor said that they are testing internally what they believe will be the final RC build of 2.1 beta, which should be released on Monday to anyone using the beta, and soon after that to everyone as an official release. So if all goes well, perhaps sometime later this week.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1