You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've just tried to open an old V1 file in AD V2 and it says the file is corrupted and can't be opened.

1. Which Operating System are you using? Mac 12.6.3
  2. Which version of Affinity did the file last get saved in? V1
  3. What drive type was the file last saved to (select more than one if needed)?
    Dropbox folder (I think)

1 hour ago, houseofdeadleg said:

Dropbox folder

It is always recommended to work on a local disk, and to external disk or cloud only share or back up files.
I use Dropbox very little, but doesn't it have a file history like OneDrive? A previous saved version of the file before it was corrupted could then be tried.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi @houseofdeadleg,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please attach a copy of this file so I can attempt to repair this for you? If you'd like a private upload link for this file, please don't hesitate to let me know :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

No problem at all, please upload this to the following link for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/vlM1EEh1macE8YY1lFRn

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know.
I'm glad to hear you've been able to recover a version of this file already, but I'll be happy to investigate this further and hopefully provide a recovered version of a retail file for you :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me and my apologies for the delayed response here as I have been out of the office for a few days!

I can confirm that I'm seeing the same error/warning message when opening this file in either AFD V1.10, V2.0.4 or V2.1 and therefore I am logging this with our development team now for further investigation.

Although I can't provide an exact reason for this, inspecting the file within a HEX editor, I can see that there is missing/corrupted data in the file, which is likely the cause of this error shown when attempting to load your file - 

image.png

As mentioned above, our team recommend saving/loading Affinity documents locally, then creating a copy of any files for uploading to cloud services such as Dropbox for backup purposes in order to avoid such corruption.

I'd recommend continuing to work with the previous version of this file for the time being as the investigation process can take some time, but we'll be sure to be back in contact with our findings.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:43 PM, Dan C said:

As mentioned above, our team recommend saving/loading Affinity documents locally, then creating a copy of any files for uploading to cloud services such as Dropbox for backup purposes in order to avoid such corruption.

I've seen this mentioned a few times recently when I was looking for a solution, but I've never seen it previously. Working from a shared online space seems like a pretty standard thing to be able to do to me, not being able to do that because of the risk of work randomly corrupting seems like it could be a bit of a deal-breaker.

As for the file in question, I tried opening a different version in AD1 and it opened briefly, then gave this error and closed – "Access to the file was lost during initial loading".

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 17.03.59.png

• Staff
23 hours ago, houseofdeadleg said:

Working from a shared online space seems like a pretty standard thing to be able to do to me, not being able to do that because of the risk of work randomly corrupting seems like it could be a bit of a deal-breaker.

Our developers recommend this due to the way the Affinity apps load and access files, favouring speed.
Our team are looking at ways to reduce the frequency of these cloud issues occurring whilst retaining the current file handling process, but in the meantime we still recommend the above. Our apologies if this would stop you from using the Affinity suite due to this.

23 hours ago, houseofdeadleg said:

As for the file in question, I tried opening a different version in AD1 and it opened briefly, then gave this error and closed – "Access to the file was lost during initial loading".

Thanks for letting me know - this error would further indicate file corruption issues, but I will be sure to include this information with the development log for your file now :)

• 2 months later...

Hi @houseofdeadleg,

Does your file actually open so you can see its content when the 'The document must now be closed' error message appears or do you only see the error message itself?

If the former are you able to DM me one of the Affinity Designer files showing the error so I can also take a look? I was able to 'repair' a file showing this error yesterday but I also think it depends on the level of corruption in the file itself so I certainly can't guarantee anything... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

I think I've sorted it, following a tip in this thread –

In Publisher V1 (doesn't seem to work in V2, maybe because it's a Designer V1 file?) Document > Add Pages From File > Corrupted file imported teh corrupted artwork, then copied and pasted it to a new AD file. It's lost some of the adjustment layers, but all the artwork's there that I can see.