You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Redesigned edit menu on iPad

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: iPad

Based on the feedback we have received, we have made changes to the Edit (three dot) menu on iPad. The two primary reasons for this change are to:

1. Make the menu more readable (was particularly a problem before with light coloured document backgrounds)
  2. Bring back the icons for the isometric (Affinity Designer, when working on an iso grid) and insertion target options we had in V1. Feedback has been that these options do benefit greatly from having associated icons with them.

image.png

I will say that specifically for Isometric options we do plan to make these available in some form of compact panel / some method to keep these options always visible while you are working should you wish - but that will be in a future update.

Anyway, would be great to hear any feedback you have on this change.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Hi - yeah the isometric options are only available when you have a document which has an isometric grid set up. Hopefully video below will help...

Managing Director

27 minutes ago, Lwhovey said:

was just expecting them to be there and grayed out if not having the Isometric option activated.

I think we've had discussions about context-sensitive menus that some users view as going too far, and completely removing the options that don't apply. One problem with that is that the users can't be sure if they have misremembered where the option is, or they're in the right spot but the option doesn't apply.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Yes, I think that is reasonable feedback for sure. You could say in that menu we still have the Isometric heading, but the buttons are replaced with a message similar to the Iso panel on Desktop when you do not have an iso grid set up.

All that said, in this particular case I think we will be leaving that part of things as they are for now and come back to this with the view of introducing an Iso panel type option for iPad.

image.png

Managing Director

I actually need you to bring the icons back for all of them from v1. Yes. All of them. I know I sound crazy, but I really loved how they looked in v1 where its was the icon followed by the word. It was a formula that you followed and it was consistent all through out the edit menu. Now, this formula is only applied for insertion, isometric, and planes. It looks off. Its not balanced. I feel like theres something missing with these solo words. These words are naked. There needs to be an icon next to them. Iconography will help users more than just reading a solo word. A scissors icon tells me cut, two puzzle pieces together tell me group, and a circle overlapping a square tells me insert behind. Its helpful. Very helpful. Its just too many words that Im looking at here that I honestly DONT want to read anything. My eyes are flooded with so many words, and I need some balance. I need balance. Balance these words out with icons next to them. It will look nicer and be more helpful to users. Please, please 🙏consider adding icons to all of them. Bring back the v1 icons from the edit menu and revamp their designs. 

12 hours ago, Red Sands said:

I still recommend and request that you move the insertion target out of the edit menu and up next to the arrange (order) etc. icons. Somehow get it and the other related operations up there made easily accessible without taking up too much space.

I use insert below or inside a lot, and it is a clear deterioration in my workflows to work on the iPad Pro when I have to go into the edit menu to select these icons that belong to primary workflow operations, not secondary ones like expand stroke etc.

This is why the whole bar at the top of the interface should have been a "customizable toolbar" and not an area for a context menu for each tool. The context menu for each tool should have stayed at the bottom but yes. Insertion should be place at the top with the others.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iPad] Edit menu clipped in Left-Handed Mode" (REF: AFP-6057) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1742".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 7:20 PM, Ash said:

All that said, in this particular case I think we will be leaving that part of things as they are for now and come back to this with the view of introducing an Iso panel type option for iPad.

Any news when the new Iso panel would  be coming to the iPad. Having the ability to create custom grids is a must for me as an architect, so I would really appreciate if this would be introduced to iPad. 

Thanks in advanced,

José