You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File management changes to iPad versions

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: iPad

iPadOS Photos app now used as browser when opening or placing from photos

Over the years since first releasing Affinity on iPad a lot of changes and improvements have been made to the Photos app within iPadOS and how third party developers can integrate with it. For that reason we have now made the change that when you go to open or place images from your own Photos library you will now browse and select them via our integration with the Photos app.

image.png

New "Show in Files" option from Live Document burger menu

You can now immediately go to the location of any files you have previously saved and are open in your Live Docs view via the burger menu.

image.jpeg

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known issues post

• File > Place from Photos uses the first file places on that session for all subsequent place operations of that file type

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

After placing first image correctly each time I try to select a different image but the first image is selected again for no reason. This happens in Photo and Designer on iPad. Publisher seems to work ok is also broken if you use the place tool multiple times rather than selecting multiple images then loading which seems ok.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

I have 3 things to say about this.

1.) Place Image is abbreviated as "Place..." in the menu. Can we not do that? I dont like it. I dont like when "..." is followed after a word because I feel like that app isnt loading the word. I need it to spell out "Place Image" So can we change that to "place image?"

2) Is it possible for you guys to make it where we can place multiple images? Or is this like an apple thing where youre limited to 1? I ask because I hate placing an image and then repeating the same steps again for a 2nd image. Id like to just place all my images in one take.

3) When I import my image a place window pops up on the right side showing that image a placed. V1 didnt have that and I really like this for v2 because now I can see all the images I have placed in my document. My question is is this like a new studio? The place studio? How do I get to it because it disappears when I finish placing my image. I really want this to be its own studio. Is it its own studio that im just not aware of it and just finding out about it? Its cool because it lets me easily see all the images Ive imported. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

1.) Place Image is abbreviated as "Place..." in the menu. Can we not do that? I dont like it. I dont like when "..." is followed after a word because I feel like that app isnt loading the word. I need it to spell out "Place Image" So can we change that to "place image?"

Actually it's pretty common in any design software to just call it "Place..." - I guess apart from anything else you can place images, documents and other files using this (e.g. a PDF file, another affinity file) so is not just for images.

2 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

2) Is it possible for you guys to make it where we can place multiple images? Or is this like an apple thing where youre limited to 1? I ask because I hate placing an image and then repeating the same steps again for a 2nd image. Id like to just place all my images in one take.

Yes this came up on this thread and we are going to make this change. Also note ability to drag / drop from files or photos app directly into Affinity as an alternate way to place multiple files / photos.

2 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

3) When I import my image a place window pops up on the right side showing that image a placed. V1 didnt have that and I really like this for v2 because now I can see all the images I have placed in my document. My question is is this like a new studio? The place studio? How do I get to it because it disappears when I finish placing my image. I really want this to be its own studio. Is it its own studio that im just not aware of it and just finding out about it? Its cool because it lets me easily see all the images Ive imported. 

Actually the place panel is just a temporary panel which appears just to show the images you are currently placing. It's particularly important for a multiple selection place, as you can also choose which image to place next. It doesn't persist or is available after that as once you have placed everything the panel is empty. To see any image resources in your document you can go to the resource manager (in designer the bottom studio button, looks like a document with a cog on it).

Managing Director

15 hours ago, Ash said:

Actually it's pretty common in any design software to just call it "Place..." - I guess apart from anything else you can place images, documents and other files using this (e.g. a PDF file, another affinity file) so is not just for images.

Ive never seen it done that way. I always assume its some kind of issue with the app that cant load the word. Its ok. I know how the place an image so when I see "Place...." I'll know that that is place image. 

15 hours ago, Ash said:

Yes this came up on this thread and we are going to make this change. Also note ability to drag / drop from files or photos app directly into Affinity as an alternate way to place multiple files / photos.

Yes. I read that forum after i made my comment. It cleared things up. I also didnt know about the drag and drop files/photos into affinity. Thats definitely going to help out. Thank you for the video demonstration. 

15 hours ago, Ash said:

Actually the place panel is just a temporary panel which appears just to show the images you are currently placing.

I ask because v1 didnt have this, and I actually like this panel as its own studio. The resource manager displays the files/photos as a layer and the thumbnail is too small. I like the big thumbnail in the place panel. I can easily see what images I have. 

1 hour ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Its not placing the 2nd image i selected

Already reported earlier in this thread, I think: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 3/18/2023 at 8:48 PM, MoonaticDestiny said:

Its not placing the 2nd image i selected

This should be fixed in the latest update (1732) and also the ability to multi-select place in Designer and Photo has been added.

Managing Director

• Staff

The issue "[iPad] File > Place from Photos uses the first file placed on that session for all subsequent place operations of that file type" (REF: AFP-6054) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1736".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

On 3/18/2023 at 12:54 AM, MoonaticDestiny said:

On 3/18/2023 at 4:06 PM, MoonaticDestiny said:

Ive never seen it done that way. I always assume its some kind of issue with the app that cant load the word. Its ok. I know how the place an image so when I see "Place...." I'll know that that is place image. 

The 3 dots after a menu command don’t signify there isn’t enough room to display the command; the 3 dots after ANY menu command signifies there is a dialog box/window/pop-up for the user to interact with AFTER the command is selected from the menu, meaning there are still choices a user must make BEFORE the command is actually executed… ie, Save vs Save As…

Please DO NOT change this as it’s the standard in Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines —and indeed EVERY OS as well marches to this beat— for decades. 

@Ash We need to FIX the 3 dot inconsistencies across the apps. For example the iPadOS app is missing the 3 dots here:

image.png.92c1a46cfc2f29c4d54eb53691eb7abf.png

Edited by ronnyb
Missing content

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

4 hours ago, ronnyb said:

the 3 dots after ANY menu command signifies there is a dialog box/window/pop-up for the user to interact with AFTER the command is selected from the menu, meaning there are still choices a user must make BEFORE the command is actually executed… ie, Save vs Save As…

good to know