You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just trying Running Header feature in 1732 APub and all was working well...until. Having opened and closed the test doc a few times, I then was trying the Edit feature by selecting the Running Header, then right clicking to Edit. When I closed the dialog, the app no longer responded to any inputs (just a click error sound). Couldn't quit, close, etc. Ended up having to Force Quit. Oddly, this also crashed Photo beta 1732 (crash report attached).

Test doc attached along with crash report resulting from Force Quitting APub.

Affinity Photo 2 Beta-2023-03-28-134707.ips Running Header, Vector Fill.afpub

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Just tried to reopen APub and that doc, but it crashes. Reports attached.

Affinity Publisher 2 Beta-2023-03-28-135621.ips Affinity Publisher 2 Beta-2023-03-28-135631.ips

UPDATE: Tried Resetting Recent Docs, Defaults, Reopen Windows and it still will not open. May need to reinstall from scratch.

Affinity Publisher 2 Beta-2023-03-28-140148.ips

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Ah. Well, that explains the disconnect I'm experiencing. Thanks for the explanation. 

I did just find the Help file and I'll parse through that... hoping running headers makes it in the next consumer update. It's rather cumbersome as it is. Also, variable text which is similar (at least in InDD.) not the same as data merge. 

Funny thing is I am retired (sort of) and got affinity to use for the occasional project so as to stop the blood sucking subscription of that other company. But if it is too painful to relearn I may have to just resort to buying a month of blood letting now and then. Ouch.

Ideal wäre es, wenn man die linke und rechte Seite mit unterschiedlichen Stilen (Titeln) auswählen könnte.
Zum Beispiel auf der linken Seite Titel Stufe 1 und auf der rechten Seite Titel Stufe 2. (Siehe Abbildung)

It would be ideal if you could select the left and right sides with different styles (titles).
For example, on the left side title level 1 and on the right side title level 2 (see illustration).

(Titel 1 im Beispiel gelöst mit einem Querverweis)
(Title 1 in the example solved with a cross-reference)

Kolumne.png

• Staff

The issue "Crash editing Running Headers with no document open" (REF: AFB-7523) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1736".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

5 hours ago, Andreas CH said:

Ideal wäre es, wenn man die linke und rechte Seite mit unterschiedlichen Stilen (Titeln) auswählen könnte.
Zum Beispiel auf der linken Seite Titel Stufe 1 und auf der rechten Seite Titel Stufe 2. (Siehe Abbildung)

It would be ideal if you could select the left and right sides with different styles (titles).
For example, on the left side title level 1 and on the right side title level 2 (see illustration).

Hi Andreas, you should be able to do this with 2.1. The left and right running headers are completely separate so set the left one to Heading 1 and the right one to Heading 2, or vice versa. I just tried it and it worked fine for me.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hallo Mike

Danke, jetzt hat es funktioniert.

Bei den ersten Versuchen haben sich immer alle Kolumnen geändert. Alle entweder Titel 1 oder Titel 2. Was der Grund war, konnte ich noch nicht herausfinden.

Hello Mike

Thank you, now it has worked.

The first few times I tried it, all the columns changed. All either title 1 or title 2. What the reason was, I could not find out yet.

I am a Monk in an Anglican (Episcopal) Religious Order, and I have been editing our Worship Materials for over 2 decades in Microsoft Word. 

Does this work the way styleref fields do in Word. In Word, I can choose any style I want, and if text , such as a SubHeading appears on a page, it will appear in the Header or Footer. for example, {styleref "Prayer Title" \l}  and {styleref "page"} would give me a footer:

Lord's Prayer   47

Thank you,

Brother Jeremy, CSJW

I would like an option in the Field settings to not display on the page where the section starts.

For example, for titles like this, where there is a large space above the Title, a Running header looks ugly. Since masterpages cannot be removed one by one from a page, such an option would make things easier in this case.

image.thumb.png.3d437f65fb2b3008b8cedde8708acda4.png

14 minutes ago, mykee said:

I would like an option in the Field settings to not display on the page where the section starts.

For example, for titles like this, where there is a large space above the Title, a Running header looks ugly. Since masterpages cannot be removed one by one from a page, such an option would make things easier in this case.

In the meantime, you could use Edit > Detached and hide the running header layer, or the entire Master Page layer, depending on how you have it organized.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

In the meantime, you could use Edit > Detached and hide the running header layer, or the entire Master Page layer, depending on how you have it organized.

Or, even better, you can add to style a white decoration at the top and as thick as need it to mask it.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Select the page from which you want to remove the header and apply an empty master to it.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

2 hours ago, NNN said:

Select the page from which you want to remove the header and apply an empty master to it.

That could work, but only if the Running Header is the only item on the page that is derived from a Master Page. If the original Master Page supplied several items, or the page had multiple Master Pages, that would remove all of the inherited information.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Page supplied several items, or the page had multiple Master Pages, that would remove all of the inherited information.

I gave him an idea. It is up to him how he will use it. :)

10 minutes ago, NNN said:

I gave him an idea. It is up to him how he will use it. :)

True, but the OP already implied that they have multiple Master Pages and would need to remove 1 of them.

-- Walt
PC:

Well, he can put the headers on one master and other elements on other(s). Then he can decide which masters to assign on which pages.

4 minutes ago, NNN said:

Well, he can put the headers on one master and other elements on other(s). Then he can decide which masters to assign on which pages.

Yes, but he cannot apply a blank Master Page to get rid of the Running Header on one page. It has to be done when assigning the Masters, not after the fact :)

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but he cannot apply a blank Master Page to get rid of the Running Header on one page.

According to the image he sent, all options I mentioned are in game. If there is some other complicated case, he could send such.

• 3 weeks later...

Truthfully, I'd like to see the ability to pull from Chapter meta data for the running headers. Things like Chapter number, Chapter title, etc. Not sure Affinity even allows one to edit that kind of meta data, but it would be nice to be able to draw from that kind of data for the running header (instead of having to pull it from the content of the document).

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to see the options available in PageMaker and other older software that allowed you to limit the Running Header pulled from the selected text style. For instance, if I am choosing Chapter # as the style it is to pull from, and the text using that style is Chapter 15, I would like to exclude the first word and use only what follows (the numbers). So my running headers could pull <Book Name> <Running Header> and come up with John 15 instead of John Chapter 16.

I hope this makes it into the future updates. I waited years for ID to catch up to PageMaker in this, and now I've been waiting for Affinity. I am beyond excited about the addition of Running Headers in the newest update! I hope to see the option above added in future updates.

MarkedNTProofportions 5.jpg

Edited by Myra

On 5/19/2023 at 12:19 AM, Myra said:

I hope this makes it into the future updates.

Hello @Myra and welcome to the forum.

Please remember that you are not limited to Paragraph Styles when working with Running Headers. You can assign a Character Style to the relevant text and only that text will be pulled out to Running Headers. While slightly more laborious, that option will work as expected.

You can employ Find & Replace to assign a Character Style to the relevant text within the Paragraph Style and that should be a fairly quick fix.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 2 weeks later...

Running headers "breaking"

I seem to have broken running headers.

I selected my chapter title text style as the source text. Initially all worked well. However, the chapter titles themselves were separate from the text on pages assigned a blank master page (ie, without either headers or footers for page numbers, simply with a text frame) and the opening of the chapter had a footer field but not header. The running headers failed after these two masters were applied to the pages that needed them.

In a previous document where the chapter title style was not on a separate page, but only on a master page with no header field, the running headers performed as expected, so I think I pushed it too far?

1 hour ago, Kate H said:

Running headers "breaking"

I seem to have broken running headers.

I selected my chapter title text style as the source text. Initially all worked well. However, the chapter titles themselves were separate from the text on pages assigned a blank master page (ie, without either headers or footers for page numbers, simply with a text frame) and the opening of the chapter had a footer field but not header. The running headers failed after these two masters were applied to the pages that needed them.

In a previous document where the chapter title style was not on a separate page, but only on a master page with no header field, the running headers performed as expected, so I think I pushed it too far?

I don't understand what's different in this document. Could you share a screenshot of the issue? Also what do you mean by broken, what happens when they "fail"?

Thanks

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi Mike, thanks for your response.

I didn't share a screenshot because the writing in question is extremely personal.

However, on pages following the ones where the chapter title style is used, from where the running header field is sourcing the text, the running header frames are simply empty. And in one or two bizarre instances, the placeholder <running header> is visible when in preview mode, in black and white, which I have never seen with any field placeholder text before. These affects occur after I apply the relevant master pages.

I say I think I broke it, because it seemed fine, until i inserted a TOC inside the main document, rather than in frames not part of the main run -- could that have affected things? I had by then applied the relevant blank and "no header" master pages to document pages that needed them-- the story opening pages and the first page of text in each story: the configuration is a "blank" (no header or footer/page number) page containing title of story (using text style that the running header must pick up), then blank, then first page of text with footer but no header. Book title in left hand header, running story title on right hand pages. But of course, after i inserted the TOC, everything shifted, and then the running headers "broke" when I tried to reapply the masters to the new pages. A bad workflow, I'm well aware!

I will of course be able to try again with a clean document, I was just wondering if this was an early use bug. I really want running headers to work well, they were the one thing I truly l missed after making the switch from InDesign.