You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to save back to Mac Photos App

• Staff

Hi rbedoya,

Welcome to the forum.

Affinity Photo is unable to save back into Mac Photos location directly you will need to save to a different location and the drag these into the Mac Photo. We do offer some Affinity Extensions to the Photo app for basic adjustments.

Regards,

Darren

Hello rbedoya
If I might add, you have two options to get an edited image back into Apple Photos after editing them with Affinity Photo;
1: Is as stated by DWright above. Export from Affinity to an interim location, for example your Desktop, then import to Apple Photos from there. In Apple Photos the image will appear under ‘All Photos’ and ‘Last Import’ with it’s camera data intact.
2: In Affinity Photo use File > Share > Add To Photos. With this method the image will appear in Apple Photos under ‘All Photos’ but not show under ‘Last Import’ and any camera data will be lost.

With both methods the original image in Apple Photos remains untouched.

Hope this is helpful.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Thought I would just update this thread as I came across a very useful Apple Photos extension on the MAS today called ‘External Editors For Photos’ and virtually free at only 79p!
Whilst I still loath Apple Photos as a DAM, I can at least now have a seamless round trip to Affinity Photo and back to edit any photos.
There's a short video on using it on the Developer’s website here: http://externaleditorsforphotos.tumblr.com/screencast

One tip using EEFP, if you want it to always open Affinity Photo as the external editor you can launch EEFP on it’s own first from the Applications folder and you will get a dialog window open where you can set Affinity Photo to be your editing app of choice.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Purchased Affinity photo during their recent sale and am looking for basic functionality like taking a screenshot, opening it in affinity, cropping it, then saving it back to photos so i can message it to someone. Seems simple, right? Wrong!

Unless i’m mistaken, theres no easy way to accomplish this using Affinity photo for iPad. Exporting and saving to some other apps folder didnt work and creating my own folder wasnt working. Seems so simple and obvious that this would be a major user flow for easy editing. What am i missing here??

thanks in advance

arezendes. It can be done. It's just not as obvious as other apps.

When you take a screenshot on an iPad it will be saved to apple's iPad photos.app.

Open affinity and press the plus sign to import an image. Then you should see 'Import From Photos'. IMG_0888.jpeg.e2ef287b20349b23a2692fa1477f2cdf.jpeg

Press that and you'll find your screenshot under 'Recents'. Press the image you want to work with and do your edits. 

When you've finished your edits use export. At the bottom left off the screen, you'll see a 'Share' button. Pressing that will give you options for direct sharing by mail, iMessage, social media. In the list below 'Copy' you can use  'Save Image' to place it in the apple's iPad photos.app as a modified photo alongside the original. I don't know why it doesn't say save to Photos.

It seems a long way round but it becomes second nature after a while.

Is this a solution for you?

IMG_0887.jpeg

@tom d thank you for this!

it’s exactly what i was tryng to do. For some reason i either never saw the share button in the far left of the export window nor did my mental model of an export expect that i would have to choose export THEN choose a share button within the export screen. I guess i can chalk that up to years of conditioning on the desktop for how applications let you export to anywhere on your harddrive without additional hurdles.

Thank you for the screenshots and the succinct explanation. This is one speedbump i hope to never have to think about again. It almost turned me off from using the tool altogether, and i want to like & support the comapny and other Adobe alternatives.

Much appreciated.

sincerely,

Anthony