You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Crop Tool Question

Hello, 

I'm attempting to crop a vector image in Designer that will be used in a Publisher document. In Designer, I've selected the crop tool, then clicked on the image and adjusted the handles to size the crop. There's nothing that says "Apply" on the context tool bar, so not sure what to do next. I thought maybe click File>Export and then export as an .svg. But when then attempt to Place the exported image in my Publisher document, I get a large space on top of the placed image. Two screenshots attached will hopefully make this clear. Not sure how to proceed with removing the space above the image. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.39.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 11.40.05 PM.png

The Crop Tool in Designer works differently to the Crop Tool in Photo.
The Designer Crop Tool is a ‘live’ crop, meaning that the effect is immediate.
You can think of it as basically the same as clipping the layer within a rectangle.

As for the space around the exported SVG it’s difficult for us to be sure without being able to see the SVG but my first guess if that an Effect, or something else, is causing the bounding box of the SVG to be extended to include the whole of the effect, even if you can’t see it.

If you can upload the SVG we can have a look at it.

Try, temporarily, with the Group selected, creating an Artboard from the Group via the Artboard Tool.
That should show you the full extents of the layers in the group, which might give you an idea of what could be wrong.