You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Upgrade Trouble and Poor Customer Service

I've been here since the beginning reporting bugs, and spreading the word of Affinity. I didn't know there was a new version out already. I switch off updates when I get something stable that works, and doubly true for my work software.

I got an M1 mac and noticed a huge slowdown in big files in Photo with vectors. So I looked to see if there was an update or what could be causing the problem. Ahh, there's version 2 finally. Cool, I'll buy it. I search my email for news (everything goes to spam that isn't approved), and I see there's a 40% discount offered to existing users. When I log in to upgrade, it's only offering 25%. That's BS, and less than the discount that will be for Black Friday.

With the economy going to absolute crap, I'm not about to pay rack rate, so I emailed support about not getting the proper discount and got this terse one line response:

Sorry, the launch offer ended in January I'm afraid.

Thanks Steve @ Affinity

I'm not about to be hustled on 15%, and have someone talk trash to me in this tone, so I'm downgrading back to Intel and never updating again. I will eventually miss out on new features, and iPad compatibility, but I don't care, it works.

I might return to Adobe if this is never resolved. Maybe I will stew and buy on the next sale, but I think an apology is due to me, and long time customers who are willing to pay for innovation, but not willing to get treated like crap. What's most frustrating is I tried the trial of the new version, and the same slowdown bug seems to occur, so it didn't necessarily solve my problem, though I didn't bother testing again today after the email I got in reply.

I think that it starts with a situation like this, then slowly everything returns to homeostasis of the customer being treated like a wallet as with every online only company.

Edit: I did update version 1 to the latest version. I was some versions behind. Doesn't solve the issue, has to be M1/Rosetta related. I think I can just stay calm and wait for the sale. Maybe it's something that will be worked out until the next one.

• Staff

Hi @specworkfan,

I can see that you already have an open ticket with my colleague Steve, however I just wanted to clear up what appears to me a slight misunderstanding. In your message you wrote the following...

7 hours ago, specworkfan said:

and I see there's a 40% discount offered to existing users.

We have not actually offered a 40% discount (solely) to existing users. When the V2 apps were launch on November the 9th, we offered a 40% launch offer to early adopters (new and existing users could take advantage). That offer ran until January 25th and is no longer available unfortunately, it was a limited time offer and this is what my colleague referenced when he advised as such and apologised that you had missed the offer. Whilst the response was indeed short, it was polite and there wasn't much more that could have been added.

I've no doubt there will be discounts again in the future as we do from time to time, and to ensure that you do not miss out you could keep an eye on our social media channels. As soon as any discounts go live, you can be certain that we will announce them there first.

If you have an Affinity Store account, you can also update your email preferences from within your account so that we can let you know of any discounts via email.

https://store.serif.com/account/details/

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

9 hours ago, specworkfan said:

I didn't know there was a new version out already. I switch off updates when I get something stable that works, and doubly true for my work software.

I’m curious, how did you not know there was a new version that came out on Nov. 9th when you were discussing it on Nov. 10th? Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Even if you had not known of the upgrade, I think your position is overstated. At best. Since you seemingly knew of the new version on Nov. 10th, and the 40% discount was good through Jan. 25th, it's hard to see why you think you are being “treated like crap” or “hustled”—especially when there is now a 25% discount offer available. In the US, that equates to a whopping $27.50 more than you would could have paid with the 40% off offer that was available for 2 1/2 months. And that, for the universal license. There are quite a few things that need to be addressed or corrected in v2.x, but I don't think pricing is one of them.

I’m a fan (though not a fanboy) of Affinity for creating good, albeit not perfect, software for those of us who refuse to play in the land of monthly fleecing known as Adobe. The Affinity offering has a long way to go before it’s on par with the 800 lb. gorilla, but it is making solid progress in many areas.

You say “you might return to Adobe if this is never resolved”. That makes perfect sense, as they definitely won't disrespect you with their forever software rental plan that’s oh-so-affordable. You also say you “think an apology is due” you. I think an apology may in fact be due, but I’d disagree with who owes it and to whom.

Totally forgot, and thanks for now reminding me why I forgot, and making me twice as angry. Two versions is a terrible way to do this. Adobe does that and I always open the wrong year. Now I have 8 different years.

> it's hard to see why you think you are being “treated like crap” or “hustled”—especially when there is now a 25% discount offer available.

You mean after a price increase. It's not a discount if it's above what they are willing to sell it at.

>In the US, that equates to a whopping $27.50 

Or 25% more. The cost is not the point.

>You say “you might return to Adobe if this is never resolved”. 
That makes perfect sense, as they definitely won't disrespect you with their forever software rental plan that’s oh-so-affordable.

I mean in workflow. I subscribe still to adobe photography for scripting. It's worth it as another data backup alone. It's cheaper now than Affinity who I assume is going on yearly update pushes. They probably are reacting to user response, which makes it very curious why you would talk trash to me if you hate the subscription of Adobe so much (which all of us hate this you own nothing model).  

Think twice before you spout off. Capitulating over $27 and not questioning something that massively disfavors the consumer is how we will have no choice in the future.

2 hours ago, StevenS said:

Hi @specworkfan,

I can see that you already have an open ticket with my colleague Steve, however I just wanted to clear up what appears to me a slight misunderstanding. In your message you wrote the following...

We have not actually offered a 40% discount (solely) to existing users. When the V2 apps were launch on November the 9th, we offered a 40% launch offer to early adopters (new and existing users could take advantage). That offer ran until January 25th and is no longer available unfortunately, it was a limited time offer and this is what my colleague referenced when he advised as such and apologised that you had missed the offer. Whilst the response was indeed short, it was polite and there wasn't much more that could have been added.

I've no doubt there will be discounts again in the future as we do from time to time, and to ensure that you do not miss out you could keep an eye on our social media channels. As soon as any discounts go live, you can be certain that we will announce them there first.

If you have an Affinity Store account, you can also update your email preferences from within your account so that we can let you know of any discounts via email.

https://store.serif.com/account/details/

He didn't apologize, he used an cockheaded tone to rub it in. No idea why CS doesn't just use ChatGPT, or better, just automate replies with your own implementation of AI and flag certain ones for human followup. The arrogance of westerners I guess?

>I've no doubt there will be discounts again in the future as we do from time to time, and to ensure that you do not miss out you could keep an eye on our social media channels. As soon as any discounts go live, you can be certain that we will announce them there first.

I work for a living. I don't use social media. The failure to understand this is probably why you have me pissed off. I don't even check email. It's something that is a waste of life, much like this conversation. I reply because it's BS, and someone has to fight back against this culture. I'm sure there has been great turnover and the people I loved 5 years ago are no longer with Serif. That's the sad fact of the game. Brands are constantly changing now, and you can't expect something good will last forever.

I'm going to spend a day setting up an airgapped mac mini so nobody can ever update anything on it again. Sure, I will buy on a sale maybe someday. 

12 hours ago, specworkfan said:

It's cheaper now than Affinity who I assume is going on yearly update pushes

Actually, version 1 was released several years ago, with ALL updates to that version being free to all users.  Version 2 is exactly the same in that regard (there has already been at least one update released to all the version 2 apps and a number of betas).

Why do you think that version 3 will be released as a yearly update?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

>Actually, version 1 was released several years ago,

Actually,  you can write sentences without using actually or making random words bold. Although in seriousness, it is commendable what the project has been...so far.

>Why do you think that version 3 will be released as a yearly update?

They changed the model to require login. It reduces friction for iPad OS crossover, but what it does best is restrict access based on login just like Adobe. You've been primed to be drained like a pay pig after being adopted by selling under market to kill all competitors possible to Adobe on the Mac side. There's a lot of patents, personnel, and brute dev time required to make a huge project like this. The best I saw was Art Studio, but they waited far too long to pivot to MacOS and to support pros.

MacOS is also drifting to the you own nothing model. While I conclude this time suck thread, I suggest anyone who reads this in the future give Louis Rossmann a follow on YT. This pivot ties in nicely to right to repair, and diversity initiatives that collapse the US banking system today. Serif seems to have thrown a man on CS. Most businesses utilize a majority of women for these roles to massage male egos, but this time it's a reversal, although I wouldn't be offended if you said I was being a bitch.

Wishing still the best to the devs who write the code. You deserve to be paid, and I'm willing to pay. I'm just not willing to be abused.