You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Forgive me. I am not clear on your intensions. I'm no expert, so please bear with me.

Do you want to create a single node so that it breaks the two crossing lines into four separate lines?

Or do you want a node just on one line segment? Or do you want a node for each line segment at the same point?

The only thing I can think of, is you probably having snapping turned on.  You may also have the companion, move by whole pixels, and force pixel alignment set.  Turn those off.  I'm not sure why I am evening mentioning them, because that would be the first and most obvious thing to check. But I cannot figure any other options that might cause this.  So sorry in advance for stating the obvious and most elementary of things.

• Staff

Yes, snapping can interfere with positioning if the considered point doesn't meet snap conditions. Disabling snapping would allow you to position the point freely without any constraints.

The issue here is that Affinity currently doesn't detect (yet!) the intersection point. You can zoom in to adjust the point position until it looks over the intersection but then if you zoom in some more you will see that the point never lays exactly over the intersection.

• Staff

Currently working on snapping to geometry intersections for the Pen and Node tools.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Yes, snapping can interfere with positioning if the considered point doesn't meet snap conditions. Disabling snapping would allow you to position the point freely without any constraints.

The issue here is that Affinity currently doesn't detect (yet!) the intersection point. You can zoom in to adjust the point position until it looks over the intersection but then if you zoom in some more you will see that the point never lays exactly over the intersection.

I always tried to allude to that at the beginning, because the cross over is just a visual, accuracy will always be subjective to the scale of your perspective and the tolerance you allow.  But for some reason the term accuracy had to be exact. When the term itself is subjective to what end result you are after. Which never seemed to come up?

While we wait for intersection snapping....

As a workaround, you could zoom in super far (100,000%) and add a point to both curves and then snap one point to the other.

(Crabtrem touched on this situation above.)

One line would change (super) slightly..... at that zoom will it really matter?

And, of course, you would have two new nodes, but they would be perfectly coincident.

Granted this isn't a great solution if you have to do dozens and dozens. But for a couple here and there.....

I always tried to allude to that at the beginning, because the cross over is just a visual, accuracy will always be subjective to the scale of your perspective and the tolerance you allow.  But for some reason the term accuracy had to be exact. When the term itself is subjective to what end result you are after. Which never seemed to come up?

No pun intended but this isn't exactly true. That is because since vector graphics are really just descriptions of geometric paths, unlike pixel bitmaps they are resolution independent. That means at least in theory they can be scaled to any size without loss of positional precision. The "in theory" part comes into it only because computers can't calculate geometry with infinite precision so at extreme scale factors they may not be able to display vector graphics at exactly the right spot, but there is nothing subjective about where they should be placed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

This will be in the next Beta.  Probably version 1.5.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

What have you tried so far?

An awful lot and really mix results.  

Can you show me what your snapping settings are when you did this, because i set up the very same thing and it did not work like that with any setting i could test. In general i feel quite proficient in AD as i did in .ai and freehand before that, but this is one of the small list of things that is making me pull out hair.