You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 feature requests for the upcoming Symbols feature

3 feature requests for symbols:

1. The ability to nest symbols within symbols (simply MUST happen)
    • This will allow the user to create composable elements that can be nested inside each other, so any change that is made to a small symbol can only happen to that symbol, and that symbol can be re-used a other, larger symbols. This is an incredibly simple, yet incredibly powerful idea that can allow users the ability to minimize manual work and maximize productivity and creativity. This is an important feature that Sketch does not currently support.
  2. The ability to unlink certain attributes inside individual instances of a symbol (same shape, but colors, sizes, visibility, per instance can vary)
    • Let's say the user wants a button to be used twice, but wants the color of each instance of that button to be different. If the user has the ability to link or unlink individual styles, then this would be possible. Another good example is size. Let's say I make a widget Icon and I want to use that across the mobile, tablet and desktop versions of an app design. I don't want to have to remake the icon at different sizes. I just want to use the same icon, but scale it to the appropriate size for the app design in question. 
    • Best way to implement request 2 would be to have a styles list for each instance with a green link next to each shared style. If the user clicks the green link, it turns into a red broken link, then that particular style can be changed in that particular instance, without affecting the other instances of that symbol.This is an important feature that Sketch does not currently support.
  3. The ability to change the master instance of a symbol in a project (because that sort of thing may change over time ).
    • Sometimes I want to work on a symbol in one context and then have all other instances updated. But sometimes I want to work in a different context and have all other instances updated.

As a side note, this forum rich text editor dos not seem to allow for line spacing or before and after paragraph spacing, or even tabs...so the lack of those things makes it difficult to edit posts and make them readable...

Anyway, thanks for listening,

Richard Nash

Los Angeles, CA

• 8 months later...