You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Float window (Publisher)

I'm trying to understand how v2 handles multiple document windows. I use 2 displays. I have my documents on the left (portrait) screen and my palettes on the right (landscape) screen.

I open a doc, select "float window", drag the doc to the left screen (and resize it). I then open a second doc. It appears on the left screen, but the first doc has disappeared!

This happens every time I try to do this. I haven't found an answer in the Help or this forum.

What am I doing wrong here?

Mac Mini - M2

Mac, or Windows?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, podge said:

Mac (M2 mini)

tip.gif Click on the username next to your avatar in the top right-hand corner of this page (or any other forum page) and choose ‘Account Settings > Signature’ from the menu that appears. Enter your system specs in the box and press ‘Save’ to include those details automatically whenever you post.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...

Update: The issue I described above is the same in 2.1 - I'll add that the first doc I opened (which disappears when I open a second doc) will not open unless I close all document windows. Is this a bug?

Mac Mini - M2

Not sure about your issue because I'm still on v1 because of Affinity's widespread and ongoing challenges with 2-monitor Mac setups (Mac Mini Monterey here.) They actually removed "Separated Mode" rather than fix the handful of bugs regarding how documents and dialog boxes opened, which is why I'm still on v1.

To be clear, you're not trying to have all documents separate from the tools, aka "Separated Mode", but opening one in normal mode, attached to the tools, and another in a floating window. Is that correct?

Thanks for your reply. My workflow has always been (in InDesign before Publisher) to have all my documents as tabs on my left hand monitor, filling that screen. My right hand monitor is filled with tools/palettes.

When I start up V2 and open a document, I have to click in the doc window first (it appears behind all my palettes), then click Float in the Window menu, then drag the window across to the left hand monitor, then resize it. Laborious, but consistent and predictable.

The bug behavior happens when I open a second document, expecting it to be added to the existing window on the left. Instead it replaces it, and the first one is not only gone, but can't be opened. It is now invisible/lost to Publisher. Other, different documents will open as tabs in the left hand window. The only way to open that first document is to close all open documents and start over.

My current workaround is to first open a fake/dummy Publisher page I've created, and move it to the left screen. It then disappears when I open the file I want to work on.

I hope that's clear.

Mac Mini - M2

Is this a Mac only Bug?

I ask because I can basically do what you're describing, open more than one document, and have them open in the left monitor, and none disappear.

What I do is use the Studio Presets. I set it up by first selecting the Float All. Then drag/position all the panels (studios) as I want them. The main, document on my left monitor, all the other panels on my right monitor. I then choose Add Preset, and name it. I can open additional documents, and they will open with the main page in my left monitor, tabbed to my first or other documents, the other will still be there. I can choose to reset the studios, which changes everything to the default, and then choose my 2 monitor preset, and I'm back at how I set up the preset, and my documents are still there, and panels as I arranged them.

Done a quick screen video of what I'm referring to. The recording not the best, my first attempt at recording both monitors...

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Is this a Mac only Bug?

Probably Mac-only. In V2 the Mac implementation became more like the Windows implementation (gaining the ability to Float windows like Windows users had and losing Separated mode which was the prior implementation), and it has had some problems.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1