You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flood Select Tool modifiers — RightMouse is a very awkward modifier

Operating LMB while holding RMB down to add to selection is very straining and awkward. Couldn't it be changed to for example Shift or… why aren't modifiers editable in the first place?

I'm sorry for making a new topic. The most fitting one about such subject was in V1 feedback forum and I would like to give feedback to V2

keywords in case someone tries to find a topic like this: right mouse button click add selection keyboard shortcut affinity photo V2

5 minutes ago, cygaj said:

Operating LMB while holding RMB down is very straining and awkward. Couldn't it be changed to for example Shift or…

I agree. Additionally, it may be impossible for users with a trackpad to operate both the left and right buttons at the same time.

Serif previously changed one of the tools that was using both buttons to use something else. Perhaps they'll consider that for this one, too.

In the meantime, the add/subtract setting is also available in the Context Toolbar, which may help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In the meantime, the add/subtract setting is also available in the Context Toolbar, which may help.

I am aware of that but it is very good you're mentioning it in case someone missed those buttons but is also struggling with the tool and tries to find a workaround (until the issue is hopefully addressed because even with a proper mouse this arrangement flies in the face of ergonomy)

• 7 months later...

I agree with the above. I highly recommend changing the modifier to Shift or CTRL. Allowing users to change the modifiers would also be a nice add. As a new user switching from the Adobe suite, it is very unintuitive to use the RMB for adding to the selection. I cannot think of another program in the architecture industry that uses a hold of the RMB in a similar way. In talking with my colleagues, they agreed that the RMB is an unintuitive and awkward hotkey.

Edited by Brandon W
additional information

If I pick one of the other raster selection tools, such as one of the shape selection tools, on the Mac, all four modifier keys are taken: shift to constrain, control to add, option to subtract, command to move layer with selection.

The flood select tool only uses two of these, but they are the same as for the other selection tools: control to add, option to subtract.

In other words, the flood select modifiers are being chosen to match the same actions on the other raster selection tools for consistency.

I believe the right mouse button was used for one of these on Windows due to the fact that Windows only has three modifier keys to work with.  This is ultimately an attempt to maintain consistency on a more limited platform.  You can already get a more "normal" modifier key for this by switching to a Mac, which has four modifiers to work with.

To add support for this on Windows, they would need to drop consistency with the other tools, choose a non-standard modifier key (such as a letter), or remap all of the selection tools and choose one of the other two actions (constrain or move layer with selection) to map to the right mouse button instead of what is there now (or to drop support for completely on the Windows platform).

Given that the alternate tool mode is available for this action, and that the constrain and move layer with selection actions are not available in a similar manner, choosing either add or subtract to be the "odd one out" means that the same thing can still be done in that manner for those who have trouble with the right mouse button "modifier", which would not be the case if they picked one of the other two actions.

I appreciate the response and agree with many of your points, however I still think the right button is a poor solution. To your main point about consistency across different select tools within Affinity, I agree this is the ideal scenario, and right now there is not consistency. On Windows, Right Mouse adds with the Flood Select tool whereas CTRL + ALT adds with the Shape Select. 

To build on your point on consistency within Affinity, I think consistency across different programs (non-Affinity products) is also important. Select, Add to Selection, and Deselect are not unique commands to Affinity - many programs have this basic capability, and they all use Shift, Alt, and Control. As a user that often switches between 4+ different programs within a single workday, and often multiple within a workflow to make a single graphic, consistency across these programs is greatly beneficial.

Also, a note on switching to Mac: I work for a company with over 1,000 employees that use Windows because it is the better operating system for nearly all of our programs in an industry that is dominated by Windows. Switching to Mac is not an option for me or my colleagues, let alone the industry. It sounds like the hotkeys on a Mac work very well, however on Windows they need refinement.

Edited by Brandon W