You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using NIK plugins in Affinity Photo

I have successfully installed the NIK Collection of plugins into Affinity Photo.  However, when I click on them I get a dialogue box saying "the plugin can only be applied to the active layer.  If you would like to apply the plugin to a separate layer, please check to make sure your application supports the NIK Selective Tool and that you are not working in a limited functionality mode such as the Quick Fix mode of Photoshop Elements."  (Substitute the name of the plugin with the word "plugin" above.)

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do to get NIK Collection to work?

Thanks.

Chuck

• Staff

Hi Chuck,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Photoshop plug-ins support is still under development. Some plug-ins are not yet working correctly.
From Nick Collection only the following are working:
- Analog Efex Pro 2
- Color Efex Pro 4
- Silver Efex Pro 2
- HDR Efex Pro 2 (this one can only be applied to a single image/layer. There’s no interface to access the Image Selection Dialog nor to the Nik Selective Tool to load an image set).

I learned how to install the plugins using the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfwp2lbCKzU#t=451.444271205

It has you create a Photoshop Plugin folder before you install the NIK Collection.  I can go to Filters/Plugins/NIK Collection and see all of them.  But when I select a layer and click on a plugin I get the Warning message given below:  

"the plugin can only be applied to the active layer.  If you would like to apply the plugin to a separate layer, please check to make sure your application supports the NIK Selective Tool and that you are not working in a limited functionality mode such as the Quick Fix mode of Photoshop Elements."  (Substitute the name of the plugin with the word "plugin" above.)

I get this message for all of the plugins including the ones listed by MEB below as working.

And, yes the layer was a pixel layer.

HELP!

Thanks.

Chuck

I am using Affinity Photo 1.41 and NIK 1.2.11_10.  

You were right, sir.  I have found that Color Efex Pro4, Analog Efex Pro 2, HDR Efex Pro2,  and Silver Efex Pro 2 do work!

Dfine 2, Sharpener Pro 3 Outside, Sharpener Pro 3 Raw, and Viveza do not work.

Hope Affinity Photo will solve this problem.

The gentleman in the video us demonstrating adding plugins in an older version of AP.   

I would just like to be able to continue to do any extra editing in PS CS5, as is done from LR 6.4.   Are there instructions for this procedure anywhere?

I have a screen capture and do not see a way of including it.

Cheers

David

• 1 month later...
Guest rgrgeo

I downloaded and installed the NIK collection of plugins by followed the video instruction.  In preferences most of the Nik Plugins listed are listed with a yellow "Unknown" next to all Plugins except Analog Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4 which both state "working" in green.  I check "allow unknown plugins" but get the same message that Chuck got (in previous post).  

I do not have Photoshop installed in my Mac

I did have a pixel layer selected. 

Are These NIK plugins not truly supported by Affinity?  If they are how do I get them to work?  

Any info offered would be appreciated.

rgrgeo:

1. Is the file you downloaded named "nikcollection-full-1.2.11.dmg"?

2. Did you create an empty folder somewhere in the Applications folder prior to running the installer & add that to the installer's list of install locations?

3. What message do you get when you try to run any of the four plugins that work with Affinity Photo (refer to the earlier post by MEB for the list of those that work & those that don't)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Nik Collection, the actual version, won't run under OS X 10.11.4 with Affinity Photo 1.4.1.. Also Topaz brings Problems — won't start, 16 GB RAM are not enough. Deinstallation and new installation from the Pug-Ins don't help. I've a 2014 iMac Retina.

Onlymac,

I don't know what you mean by "actual version," but all the stand alone application versions of the Nik collection run fine on my iMac (which is running OS X 10.11.4) & the plugin versions of the ones MEB mentioned in the second post above all work fine with AP version 1.4.1.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Das ist leider nicht hilfreich. Affinity kommt nicht an die Autorisierung heran, die die Nie Collection automatisch installiert. Hier ist noch anzumerken, dass der Rechner komplett am 24. März neu aufgebaut wurde. Davor hatte ich auch keine Probleme. Diagnosetools können keinen Fehler auf der Festplatte feststellen. Im Demo Modus laufen die Plug-Ins der Nie Collection! Es leitet also an den Plug-In Support Daten. Das letzte Bild zeigt den Demo Modus der funktioniert.post-7002-0-35032000-1461412402_thumb.pngpost-7002-0-68647600-1461412422_thumb.pngpost-7002-0-60361700-1461412438_thumb.png

Onlymac,

I suspect you are having problems because you have installed an older demo version of one or more of the Nik tools. On March 24th, Google made the entire collection free & available as a single download. To get the free installer, go to https://www.google.com/nikcollection/, click on the blue "Download" button near the top of the page, & select "Mac" from the popup. That will start the download. You probably need to uninstall any individual demo versions you have installed first, but after doing that follow the instructions in the "Google Nik Collection is now free for everyone" topic (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19182-google-nik-collection-is-now-free-for-everyone/) to install both the plugin & stand alone versions.

(Edited to fix link)

Edited by R C-R

Affinity Photo 

• 4 months later...

Sorry folks but all this rumbling about Photoshop plugins installation is good for nothing ... Can anyone PLEASE post simply as 1-2-3 ... "good-recipe" how to do it?
I trying hopelessly to install what apparently suppose to work but I am NOT getting positive results ...

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I've bought Affinity Photo, thinking it was as powerful as Photoshop. My first try, using Nik Software : absolutely no Nik plugin is working !

I have the last version of the both AP 1.6.2.97 and Google Nik Collection 1.2.11. All of them are shown yellow "Unknown" !

So, it's not a good to say AP is working like PS. It's been  1,5 year since the last post and nothing has been done to solve that matter.

So, what does AP suggest ?

Thanks