You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Puppet Warp

Hi guys and gals

I asked during beta testing if puppet warping was available and it wasn't at the time and I wonder if this is here or close? I have the latest version and don't see anything like it yet but maybe I simply can't find it.  Distortion or adding a warp mesh are not what I mean.

I refer to the ability to place a cut out figure or shape, place on a background and realistically manipulate parts of it.  For example to move an arm slightly as in Photoshop's Edit/Puppet warp feature.  This is the last feature I really, really miss from PS.  It requires a mesh on the actual shape not a overlaid grid as that causes too much distortion.

Thanks

However, it should me made into a "live" filter, so that we could tweak it, as needed.

Do you mean a persistent effect?  I didn't try returning to the test I did, so I didn't test see if it was still there.  I am not able to at the moment but yes, if that's what you mean then that would be very useful if the mesh remained until turned off by choice..

Yes, that is what I mean.

As it is now, is a "one operation... done!"

But being able to tweak it along a session of work or even after saving, closing and opening again, would be much better.

Agreed.  That would be extremely useful especially if it could remain on a rasterized image but I assume that isn't possible since even Photoshop can't do that?

• 11 months later...

Agreed.  That would be extremely useful especially if it could remain on a rasterized image but I assume that isn't possible since even Photoshop can't do that?

Actually, Photoshop does have deform/puppet warp as a live filter. This is why we should have deform as a live filter in Photo too. At the moment in Photo we have to resort to making hidden duplicate layers in case we want to do deform on them again.

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, 

this feature is much appreciated. I mainly use PuppetWarp in Photoshop to straighten roads in orthographic photos (example of this is seen in the attached picture). 

The only feature I miss in AffinityPhoto's deform-filter is the abitity to rotate the deform-points (see picture of dog in Moacir Bragas reply above).

With this feature I could leave PS behind for good. 

Another goodie would be an option to determine the radius of effect of a point, but that is secondary.

So I request the rotate-feature to be added to the filter. 

AffinityFilterVerformen.jpg

3 hours ago, Digitalclips said:

I need to go back and check out the latest Affinity Photo to see what's improved in this area.

APhoto has deform in distortion filters, that on the face of it looks like it does what puppet warp does, letting you add points but it's pretty rubbish compared to puppet warp, it works more like a mesh distort -  I still use PS CS5 just for puppet warp 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 6 months later...

I agree for deform to substitute for  puppet warp it needs:

• To be able to rotate points - see PUPPET-01 & PUPPET-02 (a shot of my dog masked in Affinity & exported to Photoshop, converted to a Smart Object[with mask], points placed and head point rotated).
  • To be able to add points to a already deformed mesh without the mesh deforming excessively with just the add - see PUPPET-03 ( points added and moved after initial deforming, in deform this makes the mesh go wonky).
  • To be a non-destructive live effect/filter which can be modified/undone - see PUPPET-03 (a shot of the layer palate in PS which shows the result of the warp, a smart filter which can be totally edited including painting the effect mask to remove the effect selectively & incrementally, also the smart object can be opened and the mask edited.
  • Ideally Affinity Photo should be able to import & export a psd with smart objects intact including live puppet warp.

The other issues I keep wanting are:

• 1-way better channel & mask access! To be able to view and edit (WITH ALL TOOLS - dodge/burn, curves/levels[applied directly to channel/mask], etc.) a copied channel both before and after it has been made into a mask!
  • 2-Smart object support! 

I like a lot about Affinity Photo & the rest of the suite but to be a suitable Adobe replacement it really needs these issues fixed(at least for professional work).

PUPPET-01.JPG

PUPPET-02-ROT.JPG

PUPPET-03-MORE POINTS.JPG

PUPPET-04-LAYER PALATE.JPG