You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Window Copy/Paste problem

• Are you using the latest release version?
    YES (2.0.4) but problem is also in version 2.1 beta
  • Can you reproduce it?
    YES
  • Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem?
    YES
  • What is your operating system and version (Windows 11, OSX Ventura, iOS 16 etc)?
    Windows 11 / 22H2
  • What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)
    Please open any program and take screenshot of its window with alt-print for clipboard.
    Paste this image from clipboard to a new image in Photo 2.0.4 ("New from clipboard" / "Neu aus Zwischenablage").
    Then the new image is not pasted correct on left side (see image).
  • Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.
    See image below.
  • Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)
    Nothing changed.

Problem.jpg

Have you tried pasting to another application that accepts images such as Microsoft Word or Wordpad or similar. Does it look correct there?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff

Hi @NetSecond.net,

Thanks for your report!

I've tested this here by using File > New from Clipboard in Affinity Photo, as well as creating a new document in Paint and pasting the screenshot there.

As can be seen, this issue is created by Windows and not the Affinity apps, as this edge is also included when pasting into Paint - 

altprintscreen.jpg

Interestingly, I tested this using the Snipping Tool (Windows Key + Shift + S) in the 'Window Snip' mode and the same issue does not occur, reinforcing my above findings:

image.png

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

This has been raised before and logged by Support

The issue is that it does not occur in V1 but does in V2 (same clipboard data)

I see the issue in V2, V2beta but not V1

(Windows 11)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Paul Mudditt
Yes, I have tested it with many other programs without any problems.
For tests I used MS Paint, Word, Publisher, Corel PP, Paint.net, ....
Only Affinity programs shows this broken paste result.

@Dan C
The problem is the paste function in Affinity Photo and not in other programs.
My test in MS Paint and others shows the correct paste, see pictures attached this post.
Only APhoto2 shows Problem / all pasted with the same clipboard picture.
So i think it is a paste problem in Affinity programs.

@carl123
Thank you for your info, so I can hope, that this issue will be fixed in next version ....

I use this function very often to write instructions for various software.
Previously I was using another suite, which I now wanted to replace with Affinity.
I had previously used Affinity 1 for learning but now I wanted to switch to Affinity 2 completely.
But now I just have to wait until the fix is done.

Paint.jpg

APhoto2.jpg

Word.jpg

MSPubl2021.jpg

More specifically, the bug was introduced in Affinity 2.0.3.  The issue did not occur in Affinity 2.0.0.  See here:

It seems Affinity Photo is now pasting with "Device Independent Bitmap V5" and that is where Serif introduced the bug (it doesn't affect the older "Device Independent Bitmap").  See the video for "Issue 2" at the below link:

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

As can be seen, this issue is created by Windows and not the Affinity apps, as this edge is also included when pasting into Paint - 

That's incorrect.  Try reproducing it again without having Affinity Photo open, copying from scratch and just pasting directly into MS Paint.

• Staff

Thanks for all of the info provided - I will be sure to look into this further, but I'm not seeing this behaviour difference on either my PC at home, or my PC in the office (both Win 10, latest updates) as reported above.

19 hours ago, - S - said:

Try reproducing it again without having Affinity Photo open, copying from scratch and just pasting directly into MS Paint.

With all Affinity apps closed, I used ALT+Print Screen to take a screenshot of the Notepad++ window, and pasted it into Paint - 

image.png

I then opened Affinity Photo 2.0.4 and used File > New from Clipboard, which appears to paste the image exactly the same as in Paint - 

image.png

Am I missing a step in my testing? I appreciate you are seeing differences above but I am trying to ascertain why I'm not seeing the same differences when following this workflow.

Do you see different results when using Windows Snipping Tool and not Print Screen, as shown in my original post?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Are you by chance using Windows 10 NPM? I have a feeling this may be a Windows 11 related issue as both users above are using Windows 11, as is the QA agent who logged the report with our developers :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Am I missing a step in my testing? I appreciate you are seeing differences above but I am trying to ascertain why I'm not seeing the same differences when following this workflow.

Do you see different results when using Windows Snipping Tool and not Print Screen, as shown in my original post?

Hi Dan.  Please see the video below, which includes both the Snipping Tools as well.

The reason you're not seeing the issue with the other Windows Snipping tool [Winkey + Shift + S], is because Affinity Photo is then pasting as a PNG, not a "Device Independent Bitmap V5", and the issue occurs when Affinity Photo pastes the image as a "Device Independent Bitmap V5".

As the issue always adds three pixels in the bottom-left corner, it almost seems as though with "Device Independent Bitmap V5", Affinity Photo is adding some bytes of data into the actual bitmap data itself (perhaps something like an RGB color table from between the header and the image data), and this is causing the image data to shift right by three pixels (drawing from left-to-right, bottom-to-top, as with a bottom-up DIB).  This is then causing the right-side of the pasted data to wrap to the left-side.  These bytes of data shouldn't be in the actual bitmap image data, as they are not part of the image.

Versions:

Windows 10 - 22H2 (19045.2604)
Affinity Photo - 2.0.4.1701

Video:

Edited by - S -
Added Wikipedia image link

• Staff

Thanks for the recording and further information - I can confirm this issue is logged as a bug with our developers so I'll be sure to update this report with the results above and we hope to have this resolved in a future update :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...