You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Diffrent font sizes and text selection

Hey,

when i have two different font sizes in one element like on the screenshot, it is impossible to select the smaller text with the mouse. The cursor always jumps to the line above with the lager font size. Same problem with AD, AP, textframes and graphical text.

Am I missing something or is it a bug?

post-15446-0-72379800-1455969088_thumb.png

Can you not zoom in to make this easier to do?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Can you not zoom in to make this easier to do?

Sometimes. It depents on the font size of the upper textline and the distance of the lower one. It looks like that the individual lines are not on the same level and the upper one is always located in front of the lower one and the area to select one line is larger than the letters you can see.

There are a lot of workarounds. Select via keyboard. Use two individual text elements. Zoom in.... But i think it would be fine to click on something you can see and select this piece.

Sorry if it is not that easy to understand my thougts in english language.

If the text you don't want to select is above the one you do, can you use the Arrange options to move it back one or more layers until it is below the one you want?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I use just the trackpad.

-However, I can select the bigger letters, and use the down arrow to move the cursor to the smaller parts of the text. 

This is depending of the difference of the size, the bigger the difference the harder it it to hit the smaller letters.

But with the arrow key I can select the small parts of the text.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I use just the trackpad.

-However, I can select the bigger letters, and use the down arrow to move the cursor to the smaller parts of the text. 

This is depending of the difference of the size, the bigger the difference the harder it it to hit the smaller letters.

But with the arrow key I can select the small parts of the text.

Same here, but i think it just would be nice to use the mouse/trackpad/etc.

I have testet an extreme example in InDesign as you can see in the attaced screenshot. No problem to select the smaller letters.

I've not been able to reproduce this. Could you attach a simple document that shows the problem so I can look into it?

See "affinity.afdesign".

As I already said, there are workarounds an possiblities to select but not as comfortable as I think it could be.

post-15446-0-50456700-1456341970_thumb.png

affinity.afdesign