You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Use plugin On One

Use plugin On One on Affinity Photo

Agreed , not to mention a host of Plug Ins I use a lot such as Photomatix HDR.  

The Plug In situation seems to be confusing with claims here on this forum that 'it is up to the Plug in maker' on one side and 'up to Affinity' on the other but one would think, these days, there should be some kind of defined architecture for maximum compatibility both software makers and plug in makers should agree upon.  That said, writing a specific Photoshop compatible plug acceptance module was the first thing the software company I owned did back in the 90's for our high end color separation software.  It was deemed essential by our clients and here we are 30 years later having the same discussion.  It seems odd Affinity didn't, unless Adobe have now made using their specs impossible for some reason.

• Staff

Hi Digitalclips,

There is an "architecture" for this. It's the Adobe Photoshop SDK (software development kit) but it's was developed to interact/communicate with Adobe Photoshop specifically. So if the host software doesn't possess exactly the same functionality/features as Photoshop there needs to be adjustements or compromises. That's why we also need plug-in developers collaboration.

rodolfopaez and Digitalclips--it is a two way street, so it may help if you also submit a request to ON1 to be compatible with AP.

To honest I am waiting to hear more about Affinity DAM as most of my plug-in needs revolve around image work rather than manipulation, hence the demise of Aperture worries me a lot as I do not like LM and Capture One 9 seemed the only option till this news of a DAM from Affinity.

This plugin thing is a bit of a nightmare. I emailed MacPhun the other day and they "currently have no plans". I bet there are many others also like that. They will stick with Adobe due to market share and won't broaden their reach unless it is very apparent that the payback will be worthwhile. AP has a loyal and growing following I suspect but how big is it as a share of the market I wonder?