You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reslecting the last tool used

Affinity Photo 2 on Windows.

There are a number of tools on the Tools toolbar that have sub-options (such as the eye dropper has the Color Picker and Style Picker) that are accessible from the little white arrow in the lower right corner of the tool's box.

I seem to recall - though won't swear to it, and may [obviously] be wrong - that on Photo 1, after using a tool, clicking on the tool again - without selecting the white arrow - will return to the previously used / last used tool.  But now it seems that when clicking on the tool the expansion menu always pops-up as if the white arrow was selected and I have to click a second time to select the desired tool from the popped-up choices.  I know memorizing the keystrokes would help, but some of us don't use the software often enough to do that...

I searched the Help and Forum, and didn't see this being mentioned.  Did I miss a setting somewhere that allows the last tool to be easily selected?  Or a shift-click option or something that allows this?  Thanks.

AffinityDefaultTool.jpg

3 hours ago, sdm1177 said:

I seem to recall - though won't swear to it, and may [obviously] be wrong - that on Photo 1, after using a tool, clicking on the tool again - without selecting the white arrow - will return to the previously used / last used tool. 

V2 works like V1 in this respect, but you don't have to aim at that little white arrow. You can also right-click on a tool set. This is slightly quicker and more convenient. Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything better.

14 minutes ago, Michail said:

V2 works like V1 in this respect, but you don't have to aim at that little white arrow. You can also right-click on a tool set. This is slightly quicker and more convenient. Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything better.

Thanks for the response.  I understand what you are saying, but the problem actually IS that one need not aim at the little white arrow.  In V1, one could return to a previously used tool and reuse it even though it had a popup with other tools in the group available, without activating the popup.  In V2, one ALWAYS gets the popup and must select the tool from the popup again.

1 hour ago, sdm1177 said:

In V2, one ALWAYS gets the popup and must select the tool from the popup again.

I don't always get the popup. I may get it if I'm off-center toward the white arrow, and I will (as expected) if I do a long click or a right-click.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, sdm1177 said:

In V2, one ALWAYS gets the popup and must select the tool from the popup again.

As @walt.farrell mentioned, for me in both V1 & V2 unless I click near the the white triangle or long-click on the icon, it just selected the tool without popping anything up.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

As @walt.farrell mentioned, for me in both V1 & V2 unless I click near the the white triangle or long-click on the icon, it just selected the tool without popping anything up.

That's just it - it does NOT work that way on mine.  Do you know if there was a setting you set to allow that?  My V2 ALWAYS pops up the selection.  Always.  Every time.  (Not just near the white arrow or a long click.)

There is no setting that affects that.

There is something wrong with your installation if it is not working like it does for the rest of us.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it continued.

However, I have to add that I use the laptop touch pad a lot.  And my problem actually turned out to be that the touch pad tap - which is supposed to be a left-click - causes the popup menu to appear.  BUT AN ACTUAL LEFT CLICK DOES NOT!!  The left-click works as expected selecting the previously used tool.  So it turns out that there is an unexpected response to the touch pad tap (not to fault Photo, but this is the only app I use that has this sort of response to a tap).

Thanks to all that responded.  Apologies for reporting a perceived problem.

5 hours ago, sdm1177 said:

That's just it - it does NOT work that way on mine.  Do you know if there was a setting you set to allow that?  My V2 ALWAYS pops up the selection.  Always.  Every time.  (Not just near the white arrow or a long click.)

A long click for me is under a second and I get the drop-down

There may be an OS setting that specifies when your mouse/pen registers a long click, which may be set very, very low

Alternatively, try the CTRL run-up option to reset your app to its default settings

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.