You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Style picker added to iPad apps

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: iPad

The style picker feature which was added to the desktop versions in 2.0 is now available in the iPad versions - you will find it nested with the colour picker tool.

image.png

In the context toolbar you can see whether the tool is currently loaded with a style or not. If you wish to unload the tool you can tap the delete button in the context toolbar (we might use different presentation / icon for this).

A few notes:

• When the picker is unloaded you should be able to load it with a style from any object / text in your document with a single tap.
  • Alternatively when it is unloaded you can drag on the screen which will give you a loupe similar to the colour picker to more accurately choose the style you want to pick.
  • Once a style is loaded you can then tap other objects or marquee around them to apply that style to other objects.
  • In the case of applying the style to text you can single tap to apply that style to a single word, or click drag to highlight sections of text you wish to apply the style to.
  • To quickly reload with a new style you can alt-tap to copy a style from a different shape to the picker.
  • From the style picker menu in the toolbar you also get access to the additional options available on desktop to select which attributes you want the style picker to copy:

image.png

Please let us know any feedback or issues you find by replying to this thread.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known issues 

• Style Picker - loaded status not reflected with alt-click

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Unless I’m missing something — on iPad Pro M1 256GB Cellular, iPadOS 16.3.1, Beta 1709 — Style Picker is not available in Publisher. No issues in Designer and Photo, the standalone apps.

(I also want to thank you for bringing this awesome feature to iPad)

Regards.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

9 minutes ago, iuli said:

Unless I’m missing something — on iPad Pro M1 256GB Cellular, iPadOS 16.3.1, Beta 1709 — Style Picker is not available in Publisher. No issues in Designer and Photo, the standalone apps.

The announcement of its addition is for the .1713 versions, so I would not expect to find it in .1709.

Update Publisher 2.1 beta to .1713 (which is just recently available for me), and it's there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
18 minutes ago, iuli said:

I’m missing something — on iPad Pro M1 256GB Cellular, iPadOS 16.3.1, Beta 1709 — Style Picker is not available in Publisher.

Sorry, Walt is correct. This was my error, please check Testflight again now

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you very much for implementing this tool! I use the Paste Style feature in the Quick Menu quite a bit, but the Style Picker tool eliminates several steps. 

One issue I have found in Designer: If I load a style that has a stroke, but no fill, I can not apply that style to a filled object. The style applies, then is immediately deleted, and the picker is also unloaded. This only seems to happen when I tap to apply the style. If I create a marquee around the object, the style is applied correctly. 

Specs: M2 iPad Pro 12.9”, 256GB, iPadOS 16.3.1

• 3 weeks later...

Can you please not nest our tools? I noticed its something you guys are doing in v2. V1 didnt have this. In v1, I could easily tap the pencil tool and then tap the pen tool. Just easy 1 taps to get to my tools. Just 1 tap. Thats it. I could easily toggle between them. Now, I have to tap the pencil tool to select it, then I need to tap it again to bring out the nested tools window, and then I have to tap it for a 3rd time just to get to my pen tool. Its so annoying. Same thing here just to get to the style picker. Its just too many taps. Remember when everyone was complaining about the transform drop down menu taking 6 taps? Its so annoying and now I have to do 3 taps to get to my tools. V2 is just full of drop down menus. The solution is to not have tools nested. Just keep it like v1. But then the issue of having too many tools on your tool bar comes up. You can have the tool bar scroll down to reveal more tools OR bring in the customizable tool bar feature where you can remove certain tools from your tool bar in the preferences. 

Sigh. Whatever you guys want to do. Just please stop nesting our tools. Please. You need to follow this rule. ------> 1 tap is great design. Anything more than 2 is bad design. More taps is too long to do an action. 

• Staff

Yes the right answer is having the customisation ability - very much hope we can look at that in 2.2. 

One main thing to say is that you can swipe from the tool, so can get to any nested tool with one gesture rather than 3 taps which feels a lot more efficient when you get used to it.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2