You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[SPLIT] Why does Affinity Designer 2 sometimes decide it just doesn't want to open a file

Please help. Why does Affinity Designer 2 sometimes decide it just doesn't want to open a file? I have lost access to 2 files now, they just sit on my desktop. The program tries to open the file but it just sits there saying "Loading 1 Document" forever. I have to force quit the program. It will just never open certain files. It's terrifying for a designer, knowing sometimes your files are just rendered useless. There seems to be no customer support except on Facebook messenger...

Hi @SStohelit and welcome to the forums. Serif provides technical support on these forums and will reply when they are able to if one of the other forum members doesn't answer the question first.

Are you able to share one of the files that won't open for you here in public? If not, please wait for Serif to reply and they can provide a private upload link for you so that they can review the file.

Where is the file stored? Serif recommends opening and saving files from your internal drive and not from a cloud, network, or external drive.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

The file is stored on icloud but also just on my desktop.

I don't think I should shared it on the public forum.

Unless it will take very long for Serif to reply, then I wouldn't mind sharing.

Update* moving my document to the hard drive did not help it open successfully

@MikeTO

Edited by SStohelit

What kind of files have you had trouble with?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, SStohelit said:

they are files I created in Affinnity designer

Does that mean they are .afdesign files? Or .png files? Or .svg? Or .eps? Or ....

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@SStohelitCan you try opening the attached test file on your system. It's just a collection of shapes, text brushes etc I made, it's over the 200k mark you reference.

Also have you tried creating a new Admin user account in Windows to see of that resolves the issue, just in case it's related to permissions in anyway?

Untitled.afdesign

5 hours ago, Lee D said:

@SStohelitCan you try opening the attached test file on your system. It's just a collection of shapes, text brushes etc I made, it's over the 200k mark you reference.

Also have you tried creating a new Admin user account in Windows to see of that resolves the issue, just in case it's related to permissions in anyway?

Untitled.afdesign 1.31 MB · 0 downloads

I am having the same issue as @SStohelit. @MikeTO mentions that Affinity recommends working directly off the internal drive. Frankly, I have not been doing that, but do have a few files I cannot open in AD2. Can I get some help here, or should I try to d/l AD1 and resave it?

• 3 weeks later...

Update, I have lost access to 3 more files. I have gone through the process of uninstalling the app, resetting user settings, storing the files on my hard drive, adjusting the performance settings, and everything recommended to me. Nothing so far has helped me open my files except for assisted recovery of the files by someone at Serif. 

I really hope Serif fixes these problems in the next version.😔

10 minutes ago, SStohelit said:

Update, I have lost access to 3 more files

Can you upload (to the forum) one of the files you have "lost access to"?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.