You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

joining strokes was a problem which led to another…

fruid

first of all, no idea where to post this really, this is one the few forums that was enabled to select and seemed relevant. 

I'm on iPad Affinity Designer.

Wanted to draw something then join some strokes but every other time I did that, the app crashed without saving. Very annoying, please fix that!

I updated my iPad version but issue remained.

Then wanted  to update the app version (usually you do that first, I know) but the app is up-to-date? I actually found Affinity Designer 2 in the app store, don't know what that it. Why is that not replacing my version? 

Anyways, then i wanted to uninstall the app and reinstall BUT you need to first save/backup your files. I don't automatically save to the iCloud, but always save to On My iPad and send files to other devices later via dropbox. 

Here's some feedback on that (if you're interested)

- Affinity doesn't backup your files if you save to On My iPad. If you uninstall your app, all your files are gone - Not good
- If you want to make a backup of your files manually you have to first change the Default Save Location in the settings to iCloud and then save each file separately by clicking burger menu in the bottom right corner of the file (in the overview) and then "save". - "save" is not saying much and saving one by one is of course annoying
- "save" will save to the iCloud and only to the iCloud - Why not other locations like Dropbox? Why not to a backup folder on the iPad?

Whatever, I did all that, but when I save the files, every other file saves a backup on the iPad anyway and NOT in the iCloud. This seems random and buggy.

All I wanted was to join some strokes :(

EDIT:

if I open a file on my iPad and click on Save A Copy I can very well save in Dropbox (so I didn't imagine that part after all and that's how I usually save my stuff) or in Synology Drive. But how come I cannot set that as the default save/backup location.

1 hour ago, fruid said:

first of all, no idea where to post this really, this is one the few forums that was enabled to select and seemed relevant. 

I'm on iPad Affinity Designer.

Wanted to draw something then join some strokes but every other time I did that, the app crashed without saving. Very annoying, please fix that!

I updated my iPad version but issue remained.

You’re reporting a bug in Designer v1 on iPad, so the ‘Designer V1 Bugs on iPad’ section is exactly the right place!

1 hour ago, fruid said:

Then wanted  to update the app version (usually you do that first, I know) but the app is up-to-date? I actually found Affinity Designer 2 in the app store, don't know what that it. Why is that not replacing my version?

Designer v2 is an upgrade, not an update, so it’s a separate purchase. Version 1 will continue to function, so there’s no need to upgrade if you don’t want to do so.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, fruid said:

Affinity doesn't backup your files if you save to On My iPad.

You can save "on my iPad", but the files are only truly safe if you save them in some other folder than the one named Affinity Designer. That folder will be deleted automatically if you delete the application. Or, you could simply copy the files from there to some other location.

The files you really need to save, though, are the ones that show on the application Home Screen. Those aren't anywhere in the real file system.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, fruid said:

OK but has Affinity Designer V1 been discontinued? I can't find it on the App-Store anymore and like I said I wanted to and now I did delete it so I can re-install it.

V1 is no longer for sale, and so is no longer in the public part of the App Store. 

As you have previously purchased, though, it is still available privately for you, in the Account part of the iPad Store (icon on the upper right) and then in the Purchased section.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

It’s no longer available to buy, but if you visit the Purchased section in the iPad App Store (by tapping on your avatar and then tapping on ‘Purchased’ in the Account dialog that pops up) you should see it listed there.

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The files you really need to save, though, are the ones that show on the application Home Screen. Those aren't anywhere in the real file system.

Those files are only in the application sandbox. They can be retained if you offload the app, but if you delete the app the entire sandbox area will be cleared out and any files only stored there will be deleted permanently.

Alfred spacer.png

42 minutes ago, fruid said:

Any hopes justified they will fix that bug soon?

There will be very few bug fixes for V1, and (I think) generally only for problems caused by OS updates that completely prevent the program from running.

-- Walt
PC:

So I essentially do need to switch to V2 if I want any active support. It’s quite costy and I cannot afford it ATM. especially because who says they won’t just abandon ship again and just create a V3 instead if V2 gets too buggy?

I really wanted to like the entire Serif Affinity Suite, that's why I bought it for macOS and iPadOS. Especially because I didn't like the Adobe pricing plans (like most people, I reckon). However, I already circled back to Adobe Photoshop because Photo just doesn't come close, I tried but failed, there is nothing like Photoshop, I'm really sorry. 

And now Designer, I'm very used to it actually, most of the UI is in my muscle memory already, but now that it constantly crashes and doesn't save and because it's basically discontinued, I'm faced with a pricing plan that makes it very unattractive, €200 (V2 just so I can continue to work?! This should really be free for anyone who already bought V1, of course I don't want V1 if it doesn't work properly…