will3bit

Failed to open PSD file. The file could not be parsed.

I was getting a Failed to open PSD file. The file could not be parsed.

I've managed to filter it down to the issue being "Black and white adjustment layer" which causes the issue. If I remove the layer the files imports fine.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Will

I just had the same issue with a psd file with the recently purchased Affitinity Photo. Is there not any bug logging we can send. I prefer not to share the psd as it is for an outstanding SAAS project. Did see this in my logs:

7/10/15 2:36:54.251 PM Affinity Photo[7984]: CoreText CopyFontsForRequest received mig IPC error (FFFFFFFFFFFFFECC) from font server

That log has got nothing to do with the PSD not being read.

As I've said before, Adobe keep adding new tags to the PSD format.  Until we see them, we can't write the importer for them - they only documented half the real file format and new tags are not in their specification document.  The only way we can know why it won't read the file is to debug it here.  The file format is just too complicated to diagnose "remotely".

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

She created two new files, but both can be opened in Affinity Photo.  Thought it may be an issue with the file having many many layers. Until a short while ago she hit the Photoshop limit. This has been raised since then. Will see if we can try some other formats later on. Will use PS if I need to open it on another machine for now or ask designer to export as png or pdf.

I hate to say - but the original file that caused the error is the one I probably need to see.

You can email it privately to support@seriflabs.com.  We will only use it for debugging, and then delete it as soon as we are done.  No one else will see it.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I think we got it.

There's a load of missing fonts, but the file opens in our current code.  Any fixes we've made recently might have helped.  These should go out in a Beta soon.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I have had the same message with every adobe file I've attempted to open, I've tried turning off layer fx and rasterising smart objects but still no joy. I get the same problem trying to open .ai files in designer.

I think both Affinity apps Designer and Photo are superb and was very impressed with a lot of features, I would love to give up Adobe and move to your apps. However now that my 10day trial is up I am unlikely to purchase them, despite preferring them both to their Adobe equivalents. As a design professional I cannot risk not being able to open files created by third parties.

If only I could convince the entire industry to switch to Affinity!