You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will final production version 2.1 be able to open files created with beta version 2.1

The invitation to join the Affinity Beta Software Program warns participants:

"Please also consider that documents saved in the beta versions may not be backward compatible with the currently released version."

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/affinity-beta-program/

My question is:
Will documents saved in the beta versions be compatible with the final released version?

In other words, will documents created with various APhoto 2.1 beta versions be usable with the APhoto 2.1 final production release?

Will the .afphoto file format for version 2.1 remain the same for all beta versions and the final production version, or at least will each successive beta version and the final production version be able to open documents saved by previous beta versions?

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

I had expected a simple "Yes" or "No" answer to be posted very quickly.

Now after 48 hours and 50 views, I'm thinking maybe my question was not so trivial and unnecessary after all.

I can't participate in a beta program if any files I create with the beta might not be usable when the next version comes out because the file format might keep changing during development.

I've mentioned elsewhere that although I'm still using MS Office 2000 I can still read docx files created by my granddaughters who use the most recent MS Office version. Affinity formats change with every decimal release, so I'd like to be reassured that formats used during beta testing will still be usable in successive betas and by the final production version.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

In theory and from past experience, beta files will open in a Retail release of said beta. This is because the version number is higher. It's only going backwards that we don't support because some features may not be available if a software version is older than the file version.

But as others have said, it is not a guarantee and I would not recommend relying on it to work.

The point of the beta is to test the software or particular features you are interested in and report any issues.