You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using iPad full time for work

6 hours ago, iuli said:

it completely revolutionises my workflow

Did you see something like that in the past? I mean... I can't recall if this has been done before. My vector design tool of choice was Aldus Freehand 8 back in the old days, and it was revolutionary with the knife tool and perspective features. I think this is the first time I have seen something like this. Am I wrong?

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

And didn't Macromedia Flash have a similar concept? It's been over 20 years since I've used it the last time… (note to self: install Flash 5 in SheepShaver!)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

didn't Macromedia Flash have a similar concept?

Yes! You’re right. Macromedia boosted Freehand and other apps including Flash. It wasn’t as powerful as this beta but you’re right. Flash has something similar.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:15 AM, albertkinng said:

I think this is the first time I have seen something like this. Am I wrong?

I don’t think you are wrong. Personally I deal mostly with files for cutting/ laser engraving (so every single shape needs to be separated and not overlapping) and while there are similar tools for decades (as you and others have mentioned), as far as I know nothing comes to mind to this level of control, quickness and ease of use, no. I’ve seen how these kinds of tools behave at the competition — bloated, slow, unintuitive (and again, very very slow…).

(For iPad, which I use for almost a decade for work as a primary device, there’s really nothing to compare this tool with)

Edited by iuli

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

38 minutes ago, iuli said:

For iPad, which I use for almost a decade for work as a primary device

I have big plans to make that switch too. I'm still coming back to desktop because of some things I don't know yet how to do on iPad, I mean... I know they can be done but not intuitive enough for me to execute it right away. But I'm thinking really about moving to the iPad for everything this year.

@albertkinng

I wish you a painless transition! With the hundreds of improvements made by Serif in affinity 2.0, and when you will start to love working with the Apple Pencil — there will be no turning back!

Edited by iuli

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

6 minutes ago, iuli said:

I wish you a painless transition!

It’s has been fun so far. I have my documents on an external SSD and a mouse I love to use instead of a keyboard trackpad. I’ve been using all apps but I hate to stop the workflow for not finding the tools where I’m used to when using the desktop app. Once I go the web and find out what I needed, I’m already finishing everything on Desktop. One thing is true, Apple pencil does a hell of a difference. I think that’s what triggered my desire to switch to iPad Pro full time.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:18 AM, albertkinng said:

It’s has been fun so far. I have my documents on an external SSD and a mouse I love to use instead of a keyboard trackpad. I’ve been using all apps but I hate to stop the workflow for not finding the tools where I’m used to when using the desktop app. Once I go the web and find out what I needed, I’m already finishing everything on Desktop. One thing is true, Apple pencil does a hell of a difference. I think that’s what triggered my desire to switch to iPad Pro full time.

I couldn't help but read through this thread. There are rumors that a 15 inch model may be in the works. - I'm imagining a future where iMacs replace Wacom screen tablets. Can you imagine drawing with an apple pencil on a 27inch iPad/iMac type thing? iDesk? Mac Desk? something along those lines? I actually really love how micro you can get with everything on Desktop, but not being able to use my fingers....and way that current tablet pen nibs have that little bit of travel upon initial contact? - I bought a pen tablet for my desktop, but just couldn't put down my apple pencil. V2 just keeps getting better, so - I've no real desire to make a switch. Wondering if there will come a day when the two become one. It feels as though iPad OS and Mac OS are constantly undergoing some kind of convergence. They MUST be headed in that direction. - lol man I hope so. It'll be pretty rad.

2020 M1 Mac Mini, 16GB, Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.1
iPad Pro 12.9, Gen 4, iPad OS 16.3.1

8 hours ago, Robert Hansford said:

They MUST be headed in that direction

I know we are out of topic but it is a topic I love to death. I've been using Apple products since 1989 and because I grew up out of the United States I learned how to fix my Macs by myself because no one even knew about what a Mac was, to be honest. I bought all the books and learned everything. At 25 years old I was the only one fixing and helping other Mac users from my town. With that being said, I can't say I know what Apple is going to do, but rarely I fail on my theories and ideas, so I will share with you that Apple doesn't seem to kill the Macbook or iPad any time soon, but I'm pretty sure that a dual boot will be introduced soon. It's a move that they themselves pushed by mistake when they opened the iPad to be a consumer device instead of a creator device as it was originally designed.So I don't know how it will be implemented but a dual OS machine it got to be in the future plans. Maybe a laptop that when open all the way turns into an iPad or a Pro iOS (mini macOS) when you plug your iPad into the Magic keyboard case. Cross your fingers!