You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some initial background info:  #1 - I work on Mac and am preparing to update to a new Mac Mini. #2 - I have been an Adobe Photoshop (plus Adobe Illustrator and InDesign) user for a little over 20 years (but trying to decide if switching to Affinity products would be a good alternative). #3 - Have been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials to find out more about Affinity Photo but for some reason, either people are not fully understanding my question or they are simply not familiar enough with Adobe Photoshop. #4 - And most importantly, I need answers from someone who is totally knowledgeable with both: Adobe Photoshop and Affinity Photo..............and a person who knows and understands the difference between creating a Selection and creating a Mask. There is a distinction albeit, both Selections and Masks are commonly called "masks". 

Now my question: Does Affinity Photo allow one to activate the "Quick Mask mode", and be given the choice to choose between "Mask area" and "Selected area"? (and then allow the  user to select a paint brush (NOT the Selection or Mask brush), but rather, a paint brush (with black selected as the foreground color) and then commence to "paint" a translucent red (or any color of choice) "Selection" on the areas of your image that you wish to be "Selected" (NOT masked, but rather, "Selected"?  And taking this a step further, Does Affinity Photo allow the user to exit Quick Mask by pressing the "Q" key (on a Mac)..............and does Affinity Photo allow the user to "invert" the "selection" to a "mask" and visa versa? (CMD+Shift+I) on a Mac If you don't follow my questions, then you probably don't have that much knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.

I would greatly appreciate getting the answers to my question from some kind folk or folks.......... Thanks,

Roger

Hello

If I underwent clearly your questions :

You have an equivalent to Quick Mask Mode in Affinity : and you can use a paint brush to paint the Selection (all is translucent red when you enter the mask mode, that mean nothing selected, you paint selection with white and deselect with black)

The defaut shortcut to activate : deactivate the mask mode is Q (very often shortcut are the same as Photoshop by default, and you can edit most of them in Affinity);

When you exit the mask mode, you can invert the selection, again same shortcut than Photoshop  (CMD+Shift+I).

Hope it's clear and it will help you.

1. Affinity Photo does have Quick Mask using the keyboard toggle key 'Q
  2. You can select any brush you like and toggle painting onto the quick mask or erasing area's of the quick mask using the 'X' key, the X key toggle foreground and background colours, you can see this by having the Colour panel/palette in view as you press the X key.
  3. Exiting quick mask Affinity can invert the selection using Select > Invert Pixel Selection or using Shift + Cmd + I

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Selections/editSelectionAsLayer.html

You will find a lot of ex Photoshop/illustrator users on here.

Download the trial: https://store.serif.com/get/universal-licence-2/trial/ it runs for 30days.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

18 hours ago, Appleman1 said:

Does Affinity Photo allow one to activate the "Quick Mask mode", and be given the choice to choose between "Mask area" and "Selected area"? (and then allow the  user to select a paint brush (NOT the Selection or Mask brush), but rather, a paint brush (with black selected as the foreground color) and then commence to "paint" a translucent red (or any color of choice) "Selection" on the areas of your image that you wish to be "Selected" (NOT masked, but rather, "Selected"?  And taking this a step further, Does Affinity Photo allow the user to exit Quick Mask by pressing the "Q" key (on a Mac)..............and does Affinity Photo allow the user to "invert" the "selection" to a "mask" and visa versa? (CMD+Shift+I)

@steday Thank you for your reply to my above questions. The information you provided is very helpful and I appreciate your taking you time to offer such a detailed explanation. (I hope that I am using the correct format to reply to you. I am not familiar with the use of this forum.)

Roger  (Appleman1)

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:
  2. You can select any brush you like and toggle painting onto the quick mask or erasing area's of the quick mask using the 'X' key, the X key toggle foreground and background colours, you can see this by having the Colour panel/palette in view as you press the X key.
  3. Exiting quick mask Affinity can invert the selection using Select > Invert Pixel Selection or using Shift + Cmd + I

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Selections/editSelectionAsLayer.html

Download the trial: https://store.serif.com/get/universal-licence-2/trial/ it runs for 30days.

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful information - much appreciated.  (Btw- I cannot presently download a Trial version of Affinity Photo due to the fact that my current Mac OS does not support Affinities System Requirements. I am still using Mac OS 10.11.6 simply because I am still using Photoshop CS6 (as well as other applications which will not run on Mac OS 10.12 or above. I am preparing to buy a new Mac computer.

Roger (Appleman1)