You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change the selection orientation on Publisher app?

I need to change the orientation of the pictures holders in Publisher. I remember watching a YouTube video where a guy changed this with a key combo, and now I can't remember? Do you know how to do it? (please don't say 'Rotate the selection' because that is not what I want to do, and it will not be funny either, Thank you)

Albertkinng Screenshot - 02-22-2023.png

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

It looks like you have rotated that Picture Frame 90 degrees. It's not clear why you did that from what you've provided so far, nor is it clear why the obvious solution of rotating it back won't work for you.

So it's not clear, to me, which potential other solution to suggest. There are other solutions, such as using Layer > Geometry > Add, but that will turn it from a Picture Frame into a Curve, and it won't act like a Picture Frame any more. Though, at that point, you could use Layer > Convert to Picture Frame, I suppose.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There are other solutions

Well, I went to an unofficial forum and a 10-year-old kid told me how to do this with one click. Go figure!

Yes, as a temporary fix, that will work. But I don't think it's a permanent change, though I should check again on V2.

Again, that may not matter to you. But I can't tell, as you haven't explained.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, albertkinng said:

how to do this with one click

One click won't help here, but double-clicking the rotation handle will.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

What do you need to know about the need to change the orientation of the image holder?

Why simply rotating it to the proper orientation wouldn't work for you.

What you plan to do with it after the rotation, since a temporary rotation won't work for some processing workflows.

Edit: But, as long as you got an answer that worked for you somewhere, it's no longer important to get those answers. 

-- Walt
PC:

Ok, @walt.farrell

Why simply rotating it to the proper orientation wouldn't work for you.

- I opened a file that obviously the user copied and pasted the picture holders from a landscape document. He was struggling because all the pictures he was trying to put on his document were showing up upside down. 

What you plan to do with it after the rotation, since a temporary rotation won't work for some processing workflows.

- I thought I knew how to change the orientation, but then I realized I wasn't sure and came here to get help from people like you who know Affinity very well. I wanted to select them all and change orientation in one task, so I won't do all of them one by one.

Now that I have explained all of this, I'm more confused on how this will help you tell me the rotation change commands, if you know many of them? 

Also, your initial help works fine. It really can be used as well. I was looking for something that let me do the same thing with multiple selection.

Edited by albertkinng
Adding last sentence

2 hours ago, albertkinng said:

Explain what? What do you need to know about the need to change the orientation of the image holder?

Image "holder" may mean the picture frame which holds an image or the handle of a bounding box only. Thus you were unclear for instance whether you want to rotate …
… the object together with its contents (picture frame + image),
… or the picture frame only but not its child layer,
… or the interface only without rotating either frame nor image,
… and temporarily or durable?

2 hours ago, albertkinng said:

I was looking for something that let me do the same thing with multiple selection.

While it's not clear what "the same thing" is meant now, you possibly want the "Transform Objects Separately" button:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso I didn't know you were @walt.farrell lawyer LOL (just kidding) Walt helped me and his first suggestion worked fine. My questions were more about why I needed to explain why, when I already explained what I needed in plain english, pictures and video.As in "How can I rotate the orientation of the picture holder (I'm sorry, Picture Frame! This stuff about thinking in Spanish and translating my words for you to understand me always gives me two problems. 1) In english sounds rude or inappropriate and 2) The name of the tools is not the same in English!) So, anyway... Thanks for your tip. Very cool that you can change all of them at the same time. As I said before, the problem was solved with the help of a ten-year-old kid on another forum. I was able to select all the 'Picture Frames' and change the orientation so all the pictures could be placed straight on that template. Sorry again for my not easy-to-understand interactions here.

12 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

As I said before, the problem was solved with the help of a ten-year-old kid on another forum.

As far as I am aware Select > Cycle Selection Box is a temporary setting useful for snapping in some circumstances

So, not exactly sure what your initial problem was or how this cured it for you

Guess, I 'm going to have to find a ten-year-old kid to explain it to me

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

@thomaso I didn't know you were @walt.farrell lawyer LOL (just kidding)

I am not. But as forum members we all can read every message, unless its send private. It doesn't actually matter who replies but what get said. To me your initial question was unclear already (e.g. "holder", "rotate selection") and I could have written the same response without quoting your question to Walt.

5 hours ago, albertkinng said:

(please don't say 'Rotate the selection' because that is not what I want to do, and it will not be funny either

If you don't want to get "funny" responses you better don't use such yourself to avoid even more confusion.

The reason that a ten-year old answers questions differently may be "simply" because of a less complex thinking … which also might lead you in a wrong direction, depending on your needs or words. I wonder what answers you would get there if you ask for the 4 variants I mentioned above?

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Cycle Selection Box

It seems the ten year-old said "Cycle Selection" instead of "Rotate selection" and thus did satisfy the OP's literally demand not to say the latter.

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It seems the ten year-old said "Cycle Selection" instead of "Rotate selection" and thus did satisfy the OP's literally demand not to say the latter.

In the video the OP supplied he is seen doing Select > Cycle Selection Box which apparently solved the OP's problem

Somebody wake that ten-year-old kid up, we need to talk

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

35 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

The name of the tools is not the same in English!

To avoid confusion you could mention the text of your interface (additionally in brackets for instance) … or switch the interface to English.
(That's why I use the English interface because it always displays the correct terms, labels, tooltips etc. that I need for the forum.)

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

or switch the interface to English.

You are not going to believe what I’m about to say but here I go… My main language is Spanish. I was born and raised in the Caribbean. I started to speak english in 2000 when I moved to USA. To make the story short, In 1989 I learned to use a Mac with the system in English. And to this day, I can’t even use a computer in my own language. I feel like home if everything is in English! Lol! It’s me who keep thinking in Spanish and changing all the names back and forth. 

• 10 months later...

You see @walt.farrell you were asking for explanations about the need of this feature and Affinity just understood the need faster than you! 🤣🤣🤣

I’m so happy that we are going to permanently rotate selections! Thanks @Affinity

IMG_0210.jpeg

On 2/22/2023 at 11:15 PM, walt.farrell said:

es, as a temporary fix, that will work. But I don't think it's a permanent change, though I should check again on V2.

In version 2.4.0, currently in beta, the "Set selection box" option has been introduced, which will allow you to make such a change permanently.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/196633-set-selection-box/