You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

invert color is inverting the entire page and all layers instead of the item i've chosen to invert.

Looking at the screenshot of your Layers panel, I see this:

image.png.bc7742f3bad1cd40fd51e22783d7d406.png

You have the Invert Adjustment at the top of the Layer stack, where it will apply to everything below it. To get it to apply to just the grunge layer, you need to nest it into that layer. You can do that by dragging it downward in the stack and dropping it on the thumbnail for the grunge layer. You'll get something like this:

image.png.18d38d868edbe1e4ed00903625301355.png or image.png.9765ca06cdf0e25a0b86e1bacade40c2.png depending on whether you have the grunge layer expanded or collapsed. (I did it with a Rectangle layer, but the idea is the same)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

thanks for the info walt, i figured that out a few hours after this post.  but this can be problematic when you specifically want a top layer to be a top layer for whatever reason one needs.  for the invert adjustment to affect ALL layers blow is super mega ultra lame.

often with v2, (trying to free myself of adobe incompetence after 30 years) i'm finding click click click click click redo what was fine before i needed to make one simple mod click click click.  click.

click.

seriously.  the workflow is sometimes like driving a stiff hotrod (aka new macbook pro) over a washboarded road (aka affinity).  you look cool, but you're suffering.

12 minutes ago, T R E N T R E K E R said:

but this can be problematic when you specifically want a top layer to be a top layer for whatever reason one needs.  for the invert adjustment to affect ALL layers blow is super mega ultra lame.

You shouldn't need the Invert Adjustment to be the top layer, unless you want it to affect everything. So I don't understand why this is a problem for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You have the "insertion target" setting in the toolbar to choose if leaders get added on top or nested. By default it is on top in V2, whereas it was nested in V1. Unfortunately clicking the option will only impact the next layer addition, and then it will self-reset to "on top" (at least on my Mac).

I agree this should be rated as bug.

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Workspace/toolbar.html

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/LayerOperations/target.html

Insert Target:

• Insert behind the selection Insert behind the selection—when selected, new layers are added below the currently selected layer(s).
  • Insert at the top of the layer Insert at the top of the layer—when selected, new layers are added at the top of the layer stack.
  • Insert inside the selection Insert inside the selection—when selected, new layers are added inside the current selec

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 2/24/2023 at 5:13 PM, walt.farrell said:

You shouldn't need the Invert Adjustment to be the top layer, unless you want it to affect everything. So I don't understand why this is a problem for you.

On 2/24/2023 at 5:13 PM, walt.farrell said:

really, walt?  i've been a photoshop user since BEFORE adobe bought it.  the point of (CENSORED) layers is TO PLACE THEM WHERE YOU NEED TO DO WHAT YOU NEED THEM TO DO.

if i want/need one on top, but don't want to mod it to the point it affects EVERYTHING below, well, for 30 years i've been doing that.

basic f'n shit dude.

On 2/24/2023 at 5:43 PM, NotMyFault said:

You have the "insertion target" setting in the toolbar to choose if leaders get added on top or nested. By default it is on top in V2, whereas it was nested in V1. Unfortunately clicking the option will only impact the next layer addition, and then it will self-reset to "on top" (at least on my Mac).

I agree this should be rated as bug.

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Workspace/toolbar.html

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/LayerOperations/target.html

Insert Target:

• Insert behind the selection Insert behind the selection—when selected, new layers are added below the currently selected layer(s).
  • Insert at the top of the layer Insert at the top of the layer—when selected, new layers are added at the top of the layer stack.
  • Insert inside the selection Insert inside the selection—when selected, new layers are added inside the current selec

your reply is far kinder than mine to walt, NMF.  thank you for your thoughtfulness.

31 minutes ago, T R E N T R E K E R said:

your reply is far kinder than mine to walt, NMF.  thank you for your thoughtfulness.

NMF was not replying directly to Walt's post(s) but to the related issue of the "insertion target" not being sticky and thus has to be reselected each time you want an action that is not the default action for a new layer

Walt's answer was correct as to how Affinity does things and what you can expect. The fact that Photoshop does something different is irrelevant

You can find more information regarding the issue raised by NMF here...

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.