Sign in to follow this  
giantlobsterprd

Expand stroke, gone wrong.

So I've used a variable width stroke to simulate a strand of hair. When I outline it, it all turns to custard.

Before expand:

After expand:

Wonkers.

Mac - El Capitan, MacBook Pro, Affinity Designer 1.4.1  :)

---

Dan Robinson  |  Giant Lobster Productions Ltd

Web: giantlobster.uk

Instagram: @giantlobsterprd

"Art is never finished – only abandoned." - LdV

Hiya,

Can you just confirm for me if the variable width stroke was done using a stylus? Or was it done by manually applying a pressure profile?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hmm, i've encountered this before but it was only when a pressure profile was created from using a stylus. I've had a quick play and can't recreate anything from scratch like your seeing (by manually applying a pressure profile).

Would it be possible for you to send us your file, so I can look at it further and try confirm if it's the same issue we have logged or a separate one?

If you aren't keen on attaching it here feel free to PM me or e-mail it directly to support@seriflabs.com

Thanks!

I have indeed, I can reproduce your issue with that file and it looks fairly similar to an issue that is already logged.

I know you said you didn't use a stylus to create the width stroke, but do you use one at all while working? I'm going to look at this a little bit more with some colleagues tomorrow and will let you know if we get any extra info!

Thanks for sending the file!

This is indeed already logged, although I have amended the issue and included your file for us to do further testing with.

Thanks for taking the time to report this!

It isn't ideal, but I found copying the curve onto a new document, expanding it and pasting it back in will workaround the issue.

I've also experienced this problem a few times. One work around that might be useful is to scale the object up before expanding the stroke – it seems to expand perfectly in bigger sizes. Then you'll have to scale it back down and re-align with the rest of the artwork. :)

I've just stumbled onto the same problem and the method I suggested in the previous post doesn't fix the problem, it even makes it worse. On the screenshots below you can see how the lines look before and after exporting. These are slightly curved lines created with the pen tool and styled with a variable width stroke with a very simple pressure profile. This is a scaled up (10x) version of my artwork, if I try to expand the strokes on the original one, the rounded caps get really jagged. Pasting into a new document and exporting doesn't fix it either and I can't do that anyway because of alignment. Any ideas/news? Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmni7190bbkttd8/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%2012.08.34%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4lti9so36bjc6f/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%2012.08.22%20PM.png?dl=0

VertigoBridie, if you can dropbox your file and PM me the link I don't mind having a look and seeing if I can find another way to workaround the issue and hopefully get you a good export out. It sounds like we are running out of workarounds though, but I'll see what I can do!

hi...i have same problem and also it occurs in pdf export.

i don't have any stylus and have used manual pressure profile... I also noticed that the strokes curve cap have trouble.    

in my case i have 0,9 /2pt stokes and... with 10x times scale result is little bit better but similar with sharp anchor points on cap...100x make good result with curved cap (smooth anchor points) but with a very zoom view, some parts are noisly  and it has many spikes

sorry for my bad english :-)

post-29800-0-31978100-1460888453_thumb.jpg

post-29800-0-20537000-1460888454_thumb.jpg