You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Slices keeps crashing in Export Persona

XT500

When I transfer my artboards to the Export Persona to slice these artboards designs to png it keeps crashing.
I can choose a map to place the slices but nothing happens; the color wheel on my desktop keeps rotating. 😬

The only way to stop this, and Affinity Designer, is to force the app to close using Control+Option+Escape..

• Staff

Hi @XT500,

Do you have any Cloud services setup in Finder?  There is a known issue where exporting via the Export Persona to a folder that is set up for syncing to a Cloud service can cause a lockup/crash.  So it sounds like this is the issue you are encountering.

I keep experiencing the same issue. Occasionally when I export multiple slices via the export persona the application will just completely crash. It just happened again so I just googled the issue and this thread was the first result. Hoping someone can help with this as starting to get really irritating.

• Staff
On 2/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, XT500 said:

I also noticed it sometimes crashes using the 'Export Slices' button, and never crashes using the direct 'artboard' button.

Could you attach that afdesign file and I'll try replicating the issue with your file?  So far in my test file, I've had no issues exporting via the Export Slice button.  

@ScottH.DAre you also running MacOS?  If you have a file that this always happens for you on, please attach it and I'll see if I can replicate it with your file :) 

12 hours ago, Jon McCallon said:

I am running into this same issue, M1 Pro MacBook Pro, 12.5.1 export persona sometimes gets me deadlocked and I have to do a force restart. No cloud sync services set up in the folder I am saving to. 

Opens fine here on Mac OS 11.7.4 Exports from the export persona fine as well.

There are three fonts missing so that may be the source or part of the problem. Bely Display, Mont Blanc, and PP Monument Extended are the missing fonts. The Affinity applications do not like PostScript type 1 fonts. So if any of those fonts are PS fonts you could try and replace them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Opens fine here on Mac OS 11.7.4 Exports from the export persona fine as well.

There are three fonts missing so that may be the source or part of the problem. Bely Display, Mont Blanc, and PP Monument Extended are the missing fonts. The Affinity applications do not like PostScript type 1 fonts. So if any of those fonts are PS fonts you could try and replace them.

A couple questions for clarity. 

1. When you say missing, I know you don't have them, but I do. Were you simply saying those fonts in general are the issue?

2. I can't really replaced my PostScript fonts as they are part of customers brand guides. They work fine in Creative Suit, so I am disappointed to read they aren't welcome. Top be clear this is the only issue I have run into with them. They are all paid fonts as well. Is Affinity working on this known issue?

Thanks for you help, and know that my tone isn't harsh just confused and disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Jon McCallon said:

1. When you say missing, I know you don't have them, but I do. Were you simply saying those fonts in general are the issue?

You experience the "deadlock", I don't. The variable is the fonts. Just try replacing them with a TTF or OTF font like Arial and see if the "deadlock" still occurs. You may be able to find TTF or OTF versions of the fonts.

Here are a couple of web pages about the demise of PostScript type 1 fonts, they are from two years ago. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

https://www.extensis.com/blog/adobe-ending-support-postscript-type-1-fonts

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/02/15/adobe-is-retiring-type-1-font-support-heres-how-to-prepare-for-the-change

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Im using MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 and Affinity Designer 2.0.4
Same issue with crashing app when creating slices of a design.

.. but if I first click on EXPORT ALL FORMATS FOR THIS ITEM (any slice), and then click on EXPORT SLICES (n) button (replace or delete first generated slice), then it works as expected.

Before I discovered this, I opened my design on mi iPadPro (Affinity Designer 2.0.4 iOS 16.3.1), sliced it, and exported to iCloud without any issue. So the problem seems only on Mac (desktop) version.

• 4 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 7:56 AM, stokerg said:

Could you attach that afdesign file and I'll try replicating the issue with your file?  So far in my test file, I've had no issues exporting via the Export Slice button.  

@ScottH.DAre you also running MacOS?  If you have a file that this always happens for you on, please attach it and I'll see if I can replicate it with your file :) 

I'm running Mac Ventura 13.4.1 and just crashed my affinity when clicking on Export Slices. After I relaunched I selected the export from the artboard and was able to export my issue without issues.