You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

If I export an artwork as a PDF, does this mean it is also a vector file? If not, how can I save my designs in Affinity as vector files?

I want to be able to design anything in Affinity and then import it to another program I use, but this other program only accepts vector files. 

Whoever answers this is saving my life from eternal frustration. Thanks!

papierstudio,

Hello and welcome to the forums. Just to clarify, you are asking about Affinity Designer? Affinity is the company name and Affinity Designer (or simply Designer) and Affinity Photo (or simply Photo) are the program titles. I would guess that you are asking about Designer but I just wanted to make sure. 

PDF files can contain vectors and rasters both so it depends on how you make your file. This is also true for other programs that can generate PDF files like Illustrator. If you use raster effects like drop shadows, blurs, glows, etc then parts of your PDF file will be rasterized. If you only use vectors then when you export a PDF file from Affinity Designer it will be only vectors. Figuring out what will be rasterized is sometimes confusing but in general any of the "Effects" in Affinity Designer will cause the PDF file to have rasters (not the whole file but the parts of it where you used the effects). It might help if you post which program that you would like to import vector files into. There are many users here and it is possible that someone has experience and maybe some tips for importing vector files into the program that you are using. 

Best of luck,

Hokusai