You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I import a 8bit Tiff image, into AP, it might be an excess of 200mb however after retouching it, exporting it back out as an 8bit tiff image , its reduced to 21-26mb. That is a significant file reduction, something has to give, why the reduction, what's being constrained? They are both the same file! Is AP compressing it?

As long as the compression is lossless, why would it matter to you if the file is compressed or not?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I do not know what you mean by a "true photo editor." Lossless TIFF compression has no effect on editing. The only reason I can think of to avoid it is if the editing app is incapable of processing the compression/decompression efficiently.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

Agreed that there should be a choice! One reason I don't want mandatory compression of tiff is that Capture One Pro 9 will not show it. In fact, it crashes the program. I will be using C1P as my raw converter. and DAM. I want to be able to replace Photoshop with AP, but I can't export a tiff in AP and view it in my C1P catalog. This is a deal breaker!

I can open and re-save the tiff without compression in Photoshop. But, if I need Photoshop then AP is of no use to me.

Lloyd

It looks like Phase One just fixed it with today's v 9.1 update. Improved tiff support is one of the new features, including alpha channels and layers. Phase One mentioned that this would improve compatibility with AP by name, so I gave it another try. I exported an .afphoto to 16-bit tiff (no layers) and C1P imported it with no problem. So, I feel better.  :)

A few days ago that would not work with C1P 9.03 on the same file. I was able to get it to work by opening in PS, re-saving without compression, then importing into C1P.

I would still prefer a choice, though. I historically have never used LZW in PS.

Lloyd

Thanks for the info!
I'll give it a go tomorrow as I can get it for 50€ for Sony cameras which is what I'm using and I'm so far pleased with C1s interface and options so it's time to really dive in now.

Also affinity layered TIFFs will give an acceptable compatibility (they plan to embed the affinity proprietary layer information in the tiff just like PS does with its layer data) this might give a reasonable archive workflow till affinity gets the DAM done.

btw: I found this tutorial quite helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KqYfjVt50

So now I´m on C1 and Bridge (free) and it seems to work flawlessly.

C1 has some strange stuff going on but after 3h I´m feeling confident now and it´s all set up and ready to go! Tethered shooting with a Sony Camera works great, I wish Affinity can do this one day with their DAM as well! 

C1 is reasonable fast and more importantly it keeps my MB nice and silent (totally eats up RAM though) so I´d feel like I could use it without a power connection for some time (not so much with AP where I´m doing more intense editing).

Now I´m looking forward to APs implementation of layered TIFF and ultimately for the Affinity DAM, but I´m a bit more chilled now and finally shooting RAW, such a great enhancement! 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/11105-round-trip-with-capture-one/?p=80899

Saving back to TIFF with Affinity layers will be available in Version 1.5. Coming soon.

-Ben