You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity V2 apps need to update to new digital image formats. It's crashing always.

I believe that in 2019, to control people to download images from the web and try to help photographers the web start allowing new formats like HEIC, WebP and AVIF to be used on the web. Sometimes clients send me pictures in those formats and I forget, and my project crashes immediately because Affinity can't handle some of them. I haven't tried to open them on the Beta but the regular and stable version basically can't play well with them. Anyone with the same experience?

Edited by albertkinng
Grammar

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

Affinity Photo V2 does support Webp and HEIC, but unless I'm mistaken (and could very well be), it still does not support AVIF.

https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Introduction/keyFeatures.html?list=newFeatures

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On Mac I can drag and drop, webP, Heif and Heic files into Affinity, no crash.

Considering AVIF is similar to Heif, wouldn't it be fairly easy to add to the list of supported file types.

AV1 Image File Format (AVIF) is an image file format specification for storing still images or image sequences compressed with AV1 in the HEIF file format.[222] It competes with HEIC which uses the same container format, built upon ISOBMFF, but HEVC for compression.

Workaround 2,045 :D: Gimp supports Avif files so you could simply export to a file format Affinity supports for now.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi All, at this time as far as I'm aware we have nothing set in stone as to whether we will add AVIF support etc. However the app shouldn't just crash when you try and place a .AVIF into it so I'll get this logged with our developers. Are you experiencing any issues when placing HIEF or WebP images into Affinity?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff
1 hour ago, albertkinng said:

Well, I think those formats are not the issue here, AVIF is the one giving us problems.

That is what I was checking, I'll get this logged with our developers to hopefully avoid the crashing in the future. Just for clarity we currently don't support AVIF files.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 8:49 AM, Callum said:

we have nothing set in stone as to whether we will add AVIF support

Where to go to set up this stone? Forum? This below there is a +30 messages with no Moderators response. Glad @Callum is here. We all aPAYciate the Development of Affinity, this "new" feature should come before we have to pay a 3th time for affinity suite.

>

4 minutes ago, DanielSoares said:

This below there is a +30 messages with no Moderators response.

Serif generally does not respond to Feature Requests, as a matter of policy. That forum is for us to make our wishes known. Serif staff read the posts there, and factor them into their plans, but in general Serif does not reveal their future plans.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1