You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A Symbols Feature Question. (Maybe a silly one, beware)

If I designed an artwork like a Club Event Title with styles and effects and warping (like a lot of stuff on it) and made it a symbol. 

1. Why do some Styles applied to don't keep their attributes?

2. Can I use them on other projects as importing symbols? Or copy and paste them into other projects? 

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

2 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

2. Can I use them on other projects as importing symbols? Or copy and paste them into other projects? 

Symbols are document specific.

With regard to your video, have you considered it may also be the effects of layers above the symbol?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

Symbols are document specific.

You can save them as assets, can’t you? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

So what happens if you edit a symbol, will it change symbols in another document on open or do they become independent and only relate to that document?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

So what happens if you edit a symbol, will it change symbols in another document on open or do they become independent and only relate to that document?

I don’t see how they could change in other documents.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

So symbols are kind of document specific as in, they are self contained within the document and cannot affect other documents but can be transferred via assets to other documents where they will operate independently of the original symbol in another document, got it. :D

4 hours ago, albertkinng said:

So can I use them on different documents or not?

You can save Symbols as Assets and them re-insert them into new documents. However, they will not be updated globally across documents once you insert. They become independent objects once inserted this way from the Assets panel.

If it's a logo, etc, you are trying to manage across documents, I highly recommend to store it away in your actual project folder in an /assets folder, etc. Preferably as an Affinity file so that you have max ability to edit from the app (using the Linked Files Edit feature), but you can link to a PNG/SVG as well this way. Then import using File > Place as a LINKED file. Embedded will not auto-update. That way when you update that file outside of the document, it will refresh within the document when it is changed. Even if it is a non-Affinity document (changed by another app on the outside).

When you make your document, you will have to set it up so that when you use Place files, it links rather than embeds. (See "Image Placement"). This can be changed for preexisting documents using File>Placement Policy>"Linked"

image.png.02cd4f01dda924ab60affec58ccd8492.png

In your preferences, make sure that this is enabled under Preferences>General if they not updating.

image.png.b6e08bd2052c3fddd861ccb3ea90e7de.png

If you are really wanting them to remain as a symbol, you can keep them as a symbol in the "parent" document that you are placing in. There's no reason to change that part of the workflow if it is working for your document. It's just to make that composition sync across documents, it's necessary to use File>Place.

You can manage those resources in Window>Resource Manager and also change from linked to embed and vice-versa whenever:

image.png.10278e900fcb9efaab7c2f929d41be86.png