You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What does the round dot in group icons in the layers panel mean?

The dot means the layer is visible; if you click on it, it hides the layer ... & while the dot is still there, its contrast with the background is so low that it looks like it too has vanished.

Tip: if you hover the pointer over the dot for a bit, a tooltip will pop up telling you it is "Toggle Visibility".

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think the question concerns the white dot on the folder icon, on the left…

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0

The Icons change depending on content.

• groups without any visible layers show group symbol with empty symbol
  • groups with adjustments only show symbol for adjustments
  • groups with any vector or bitmap content show a thumbnail preview

The actual symbols could be OS or Affinity Version dependent.

5CD10F5B-7299-4F3A-B1BA-0953A170F470.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

5 hours ago, ZhangX said:

Some of my Group icons in designer's layers panel have a round dot within them. Some others do not.
What is the difference?

The dot indicates the group contains at least one mask and no other type of object. You will see the same dot on a mask's thumbnail.

The blank indicates the group contains at least one vector or raster object. It may also contain other types of objects. The Layers panel burger menu has an option for displaying a preview of the group's content in the thumbnail.