You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 Designer 2.0.4 Very slow between choosing objects. All of them.

thegary

are you also using lots of Text objects in these documents Gary? if yes have you ever noticed it w/ no text at all?

I ask because every now and then I will get immense lag / slowdown in a few documents that are very simple and almost entirely simple vector shapes and text frames + art text. When that happens, toggling certain snapping settings or excluding some layers from snapping does seem to have a noticeable effect on the lag, but unfortunately it never reduces it enough to make the program usable again. this doesn't seem to be the case w/ the vector art slowdowns, but I guess that would make sense since the text frames im working with in this context have waaaay  more vertices/geometry to snap against than the vector shapes.

one thing I have noticed is that when the slowdowns are at their peak and the program is basically unusable, the biggest selection lags, by far, come when you have an object in some group or layer selected, and then you click/double click on a different object in a different group or layer. This can frequently take 3-5 seconds. Yet, even when we're in 5 second lag territory, selecting objects in the same group or layer seems to *almost always* happen at the expected speed . Not sure if any of that could be helpful

i got a new gig recently so I will likely be spending lots more time in AD/AP over the next few months , im optimistic that i can get this one reproducible

edit: i just found the other 5+ page thread about this bug w/ many saying it goes back to V1. So i take back that part about being optimistic lol

On 4/6/2023 at 6:29 PM, diopside said:

are you also using lots of Text objects in these documents Gary? if yes have you ever noticed it w/ no text at all?

I ask because every now and then I will get immense lag / slowdown in a few documents that are very simple and almost entirely simple vector shapes and text frames + art text. When that happens, toggling certain snapping settings or excluding some layers from snapping does seem to have a noticeable effect on the lag, but unfortunately it never reduces it enough to make the program usable again. this doesn't seem to be the case w/ the vector art slowdowns, but I guess that would make sense since the text frames im working with in this context have waaaay  more vertices/geometry to snap against than the vector shapes.

one thing I have noticed is that when the slowdowns are at their peak and the program is basically unusable, the biggest selection lags, by far, come when you have an object in some group or layer selected, and then you click/double click on a different object in a different group or layer. This can frequently take 3-5 seconds. Yet, even when we're in 5 second lag territory, selecting objects in the same group or layer seems to *almost always* happen at the expected speed . Not sure if any of that could be helpful

i got a new gig recently so I will likely be spending lots more time in AD/AP over the next few months , im optimistic that i can get this one reproducible

edit: i just found the other 5+ page thread about this bug w/ many saying it goes back to V1. So i take back that part about being optimistic lol

It seems to do it what older EPS files imported. Text seems fine if there are not FX on them. I would have to add the fx to text at the end to stop it from crashing.

Also if your working zoomed in. It comes to a stand still. 

It has something very wrong with it. It spikes 100% cpu all the time. I have a threadripper and it shouldn't be slowing that down.

Selected brush groups is painfully slow. Generally most of it is not worth using. I really hope 2.1 is better.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

Just this morning I experienced the exact same sort of slowdown /  lag w/ the newest beta, and with a document that I never imported or copied anything into. I just drew shapes (some cubes) from scratch and within 20 mins the program was already becoming unusable. This is with a document that literally has nothing else other than 8 curves. All drawn /cut from within affinity. I have saved the project file and if i can get it to happen again repeatedly w/ this project file i think i will send it to Affinity .

I've also noticed that when this problem rears its head, the program does not want to shut down properly. After closing it will often hang around in the task manager for several minutes (if not indefinitely) unless you nuke the process w/ task manager. I'm used to this happening when working on massive rasters in Affinity Photo that are understandably gobbling up all my ram, but as mentioned previously.... 8 curves...

13 minutes ago, diopside said:

Just this morning I experienced the exact same sort of slowdown /  lag w/ the newest beta, and with a document that I never imported or copied anything into. I just drew shapes (some cubes) from scratch and within 20 mins the program was already becoming unusable. This is with a document that literally has nothing else other than 8 curves. All drawn /cut from within affinity. I have saved the project file and if i can get it to happen again repeatedly w/ this project file i think i will send it to Affinity .

I've also noticed that when this problem rears its head, the program does not want to shut down properly. After closing it will often hang around in the task manager for several minutes (if not indefinitely) unless you nuke the process w/ task manager. I'm used to this happening when working on massive rasters in Affinity Photo that are understandably gobbling up all my ram, but as mentioned previously.... 8 curves...

The other big issue is how Designer brings in EPS files. Its converts them into images that are broken up by masks. Not on all files, but a very good deal of them. If I open them in Illustrator, they are fine. Can't edit them in Affinity at all. Then i tried INKSCAPE , imports them fine as well. 

not sure what Designer is doing.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally was able to get a video that illustrates the problem very clearly. 

Project file is brand new and literally all it has is curves and text objects. Less than 20 of each. Nothing was pasted from outside the program. This isn't as severe as it CAN get but its still pretty obvious on this very simple project, so you can imagine how bad it gets trying to work on anything remotely complex. 

Note how selections of other objects in the same layer or group are nearly instantaneous, but selecting anything in a different layer or group, or even just double clicking the background to deselect everything, has about a 0.5 second lag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NhddcTWrmw5IlJQUhYRYa7TtNaRIqJ3p/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, diopside said:

I finally was able to get a video that illustrates the problem very clearly. 

Project file is brand new and literally all it has is curves and text objects. Less than 20 of each. Nothing was pasted from outside the program. This isn't as severe as it CAN get but its still pretty obvious on this very simple project, so you can imagine how bad it gets trying to work on anything remotely complex. 

Note how selections of other objects in the same layer or group are nearly instantaneous, but selecting anything in a different layer or group, or even just double clicking the background to deselect everything, has about a 0.5 second lag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NhddcTWrmw5IlJQUhYRYa7TtNaRIqJ3p/view?usp=sharing

Great video. Exactly what happens. If you zoom in and out It gets worse working at a zoomed in view to work on cleaning points.. So slow its not usuable.

Really hoping this is better in the soon to be released 2.1. I bought the upgrade in November and still cannot use V2 for work. Unstable and slow.

Gary

Unfortunately this video was made using the newest Beta and the issue is just as bad as its always been.

I'm also using the software renderer in the video to eliminate any hardware acceleration problems as possible culprits. 

I am not optimistic about it being fixed anytime soon. Even w the video they just say "well its not reproducible on our end ..."  as if that is the absolute end of the road for troubleshooting. The utter lack of reassurance that they are looking more into it,  or really *any* expression of concern whatsoever, suggests that Affinity thinks the issue is machine-specific and not directly related to version 2. Yet they can offer no explanations of why version 1 of the software works like a dream on the exact same machine.

3 hours ago, diopside said:

Unfortunately this video was made using the newest Beta and the issue is just as bad as its always been.

I'm also using the software renderer in the video to eliminate any hardware acceleration problems as possible culprits. 

I am not optimistic about it being fixed anytime soon. Even w the video they just say "well its not reproducible on our end ..."  as if that is the absolute end of the road for troubleshooting. The utter lack of reassurance that they are looking more into it,  or really *any* expression of concern whatsoever, suggests that Affinity thinks the issue is machine-specific and not directly related to version 2. Yet they can offer no explanations of why version 1 of the software works like a dream on the exact same machine.

@diopside

This is sad. Not at all impressed with this new software. What a waste of money. Have you had any replies from their staff?

I tried using V2 for about a day on my Last film i was on. Can't tell you how many times it seized to a hault, and crashed.

Endless delays in selecting and corrupting files. I am using V1 as it WORKS. V2 is a dud so far.

Gary

@Chris B

please see the info above. THE BETA has the same slow down issues. 

I have been waiting for this software to be stable since Last november and apparently its the same in the BETA.

WHEN is the slow down issue going to be fixed?

Gary

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

This is potentially to do with the AMD GPU's that we've been working on improving support for. I believe we're still working on this.

@Chris B

Please read through . This has been happening since v2 was released. This thread also shows its happening to INTEL as well.

I have had V2 since its release in November and i still cannot use it. I have gone over every issue with you guys  and its still not fixed. V1 is fast and stable but V2 is not.

When is this going to be fixed? Your adding all the new features to 2.1 , but i can't even use the ones in V2.

This is quite alot of people having problems, its not just me.

Gary 

• Staff

The reports showing the behaviour in this video all seem to be AMD dedicated GPU's. I cannot find a link that shows someone with an Intel integrated GPU nor someone with an NVIDIA dGPU having the same issue.

Are you using a dedicated GPU from AMD?

24 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The reports showing the behaviour in this video all seem to be AMD dedicated GPU's. I cannot find a link that shows someone with an Intel integrated GPU nor someone with an NVIDIA dGPU having the same issue.

@Chris B

I am running  a AMD Threadripper and a NVIDIA 2080 Super.

I have tried Game drivers, Studio Drivers. Everything is up to date. Tried on a fresh new machine i was building for someone . NVIDIA 4080. Same problem.

This stops me using V2. Its not stable for work . I work in film and move GIGS a day of files for print, wrap and backdrops, Signage you name it.  V1 handles it fine  , and V2 crashes or becomes so slow it doesn't work. Have to then force close with corrupts files.

PLEASE rectify this issue . So many people are having it.  You have a set of new amazing features that would save me so much time, but I cannot use them.

Also , here in my Film Industry, most of the graphic designer use Affinity Programs. Which is great for you. I have talked to them all, they have the same issue and we are all using V1 because of the issues mentioned above.

Gary

On 4/28/2023 at 7:57 AM, Chris B said:

Well, as someone with an AMD CPU and an NVIDIA dGPU, I was able to capture some of the lagging behavior on my screen. It affects my ability to jump between selections of certain objects, just as it has for users with AMD dGPUs. This is on the 1781 build of the 2.1 beta: 

3 hours ago, Aeromachinator said:

Well, as someone with an AMD CPU and an NVIDIA dGPU, I was able to capture some of the lagging behavior on my screen. It affects my ability to jump between selections of certain objects, just as it has for users with AMD dGPUs. This is on the 1781 build of the 2.1 beta: 

Thanks for posting. Mine gets even slower than that and usually crashes. Hope they get on this issue soon.

Gary

On 17/2/2023 at 18:48, thegary said:

No hay tiempo... Pago para usar un software que funciona. Tengo un trabajo, que no incluye pruebas de software.

Dejaré que Serif lo pruebe. Ojalá lo hagan bien.

Gary

totally agree, you are absolutely right. Please hire professional testers. Don't use your customers. There are users who have worked very hard to submit malfunction reports. And they don't do it because they want to, but because the application doesn't work.