You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush panel improvements

• Staff
5 minutes ago, BryanR said:

Is there any possibility we might see the ability to bulk set the associated tool (or remove it all together via preferences)? Currently I have hundreds of 3rd party brushes all set to 'Paint Brush' just because that's the way they came, and I can't use them as other brushes (erase, replace, etc) without having to go into each one and change the setting manually. This is one of the main reasons I continue to use Procreate for Illustration as any brush can be used to paint, smudge, or erase.

That might be something we can look at in a future update. In the meantime if you hold alt when you select the brush it will ignore the associated tool. So you can have eraser and alt-click a brush which is associated with paint brush but you will remain in eraser.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

In CSP, we can set any brush to "erase", by setting its "swatch" set to "transparent" as the color. It's C to toggle between swatch/transparency, which is next to X for swap foreground/background. Very intuitive. Invaluable for digital painters because we can still maintain the general style of a brush if we need to make corrections. Handy for fixing inks.

I keep my eraser to an actual eraser type like kneaded, etc, if I want special touches. I find the transparency method saves time having to toggle matching brushes for brush tool + eraser tool... especially since I'm changing brushes a lot anyway.

I just set a brush to eraser and toggle between using the 'E' key only change brush when need a texture erase or similar

Thanks for adding the ability to control the setting. Auto-scroll | Auto-Switch Category are useful options. but I was finding constantly switching between Brush an eraser with keys a little distracting (depending on the position of the Brush I had set to erase in the panel stack!)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

12 hours ago, Frances Proctor said:

show as list greyed out and auto selected  and no nozzles show on preview in vector brushes  in pixel persona it works just fine  is this intended/expected behaviour?

I makes sense to disable them.

Vector brushes have no nozzles (which is something raster-only at this point) and are basically "strokes" so the only meaningful presentation is the list.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Hi,

I can't deselect "Show as List" in Designer's 2.1.0.1730 Brushes panel to see "Nozzle Preview". But, it is OK in Photo.

Win 10 Pro, latest update.

list.png

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, NNN said:

I can't deselect "Show as List" in Designer's 2.1.0.1730 Brushes panel to see "Nozzle Preview".

That's expected, as Vector brushes don't have Nozzles. You should find that it works in Designer, but only in the Pixel Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/16/2023 at 4:16 PM, Benfischer said:

Auto scroll and auto category still do not work in latest iPad beta (1730). The brush stays selected but the category resets to default when moving between pixel and vector personas.  

This seems to be working on build 1732.  Very nice!

15 minutes ago, Benfischer said:

This seems to be working on build 1732.  Very nice!

I got an email from TestFlight saying that Designer 2.1.0.1732 is available, but it's not showing up for me. And as neither @Patrick Connor nor @Ash has posted anything about it, I wonder if it was an unintentional "escape" that has been recaptured :) 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

I got an email from TestFlight saying that Designer 2.1.0.1732 is available, but it's not showing up for me. And as neither @Patrick Connor nor @Ash has posted anything about it, I wonder if it was an unintentional "escape" that has been recaptured :) 

I only got it for designer. Photo is still at 1730.  Maybe I got lucky and designer updated before it got recalled. 

Hello,

On the feature: " 3. If you change brush tools (e.g. between paint brush and eraser) which have different brushes selected, the panel will now automatically switch categories if needed, meaning you can immediately see your selected brush for the tool you have just switched to."

One problem I see here is that if, for example (Assuming here all categories have brushes with no-associated tool - the problem is also present with that is the case)

1- I have selected a brush in category A as Paint Tool and another one as Eraser Tool (in that order)

2-I move to category B and  select a brush and want to associate the Paint Tool (click on it)

Instead of associating that brush, the GUI jumps back to Category A.

Am I missing a step in my process?

Regards,

Philippe

• Staff

Yes, if you are in a brush tool (e.g. eraser) and select a brush before going to Paint Brush, then in effect you have just changed the brush for the eraser not "Pre-Selected" brush for paint brush. This is unique to the situation where you are already in one of the brush tools. If you are in Move tool for example, and click a brush that is then pre-selected for the next brush tool you select if that makes sense.

Managing Director

• Staff
12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I wonder if it was an unintentional "escape" that has been recaptured

Ha, yeah. We'll be pushing this update properly tomorrow ;)

Managing Director

@Ash

Hello,

So I understand I need to ignore the jump, go back to the necessary category and select again so my new brush gets associated.

Whether in the previous example or in a category with all brushes configured with tools, I find the jumping around unsettling.

I wonder whether you would consider being able to bypass (Ctrl, alt ...) this feature?

Regards,

Philippe

1 hour ago, philippe martin said:

So I understand I need to ignore the jump, go back to the necessary category and select again so my new brush gets associated.

Why aren't you changing the tool (select the Brush Tool), before changing the category?

It seems natural to me, that if I have the Eraser Tool selected, and change categories, I'm changing the brush used with the Eraser Tool. If I want to change the category associated with the Paint Brush Tool, I would choose that tool, then choose the category.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
1 hour ago, philippe martin said:

I wonder whether you would consider being able to bypass (Ctrl, alt ...) this feature?

We did add in the last update an ability to turn the auto category switching off altogether if you prefer - you can get to that in the brush panel burger menu.

image.png

Managing Director

Hi,

"... Why aren't you changing the tool (select the Brush Tool), before changing the category? ..."

I guess I got used to using the tool a certain way and I'm sure I could retrain myself to adjust - yet most happy it can be disabled.

"... We did add in the last update an ability to turn the auto category switching off altogether if you prefer - you can get to that in the brush panel burger menu. ..."

Sorry I missed that, this is outstanding - many, many thanks:)

Regards,

Philippe

Related: In the new update (2.1.0.1736) interactive brush sizing with CTRL + ALT + LMB no longer allows brush resizing.

This brings me to a suggestion. Can we please change the interactive keybind to CTRL + RMB to resize brush? (As it is in Photoshop)

CTRL + ALT + LMB seems overly complicated, and frequently makes the assistant rasterize layers unintentionally.

A simple option like this would be amazing:

image.png.d82b46678562814997fa6e3bbf649515.png

Feature request...

The addition of the Shift Key when using Ctrl Option (Alt) Drag to include Opacity and Flow adjustments...

• Ctrl Option (Alt) Horizontal Drag - Width (Size)
  • Ctrl Option (Alt) Vertical Drag - Hardness
  • Shift Ctrl Option (Alt) Horizontal Drag - Opacity
  • Shift Ctrl Option (Alt) Vertical Drag - Flow

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

The notes for Beta 1736 say "Texture brushes in Designer persona can now be viewed in thumbnail view"... by unchecking "Show as List."   On my MAC, when I unchecked the option in Designer persona, I found the thumbnails automatically provided for all brushes in the Pixel persona as well.  This is a Golden Addition!!  I might add that when I changed the option back to "Show as List" in Pixel persona, the option became automatically changed back to "Show as List" in Designer persona.  

Was this planned?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

5 hours ago, DylanGG said:

Related: In the new update (2.1.0.1736) interactive brush sizing with CTRL + ALT + LMB no longer allows brush resizing.

This brings me to a suggestion. Can we please change the interactive keybind to CTRL + RMB to resize brush? (As it is in Photoshop)

CTRL + ALT + LMB seems overly complicated, and frequently makes the assistant rasterize layers unintentionally.

A simple option like this would be amazing:

image.png.d82b46678562814997fa6e3bbf649515.png

Same thing on my end. Pressing ctrl+alt+L click drag only affects Hardness, but I can change both when holding down ctrl+shift+alt+L click drag, which was possible before as well.

Yes, I reported this in beta New Bug reports here:

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

12 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Same thing on my end. Pressing ctrl+alt+L click drag only affects Hardness, but I can change both when holding down ctrl+shift+alt+L click drag, which was possible before as well.

This doesn't work on macOS...

Personally I'd much prefer a different keyboard combination or the option to at least change the keyboard combination. I work on a MacBook Pro which only has one Ctrl Key on the left side of the keyboard and I'm left handed so Ctrl Alt Anything is awkward. Cmd Drag and Shift Cmd Drag would make this far easier and accommodate all the left handed people using non-extended keyboards.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse