You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector warp nodes now obey snapping

• Staff

Apps: Affinity Designer
Platforms: Windows, macOS and iPad

When editing a vector warp group, nodes will now snap based on your snapping preferences (if you have snapping turned on). As with nearly all operations in Affinity you can temporarily toggle snapping off while dragging a node by holding Alt.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known Issues

• AFD-6394 - 'Align handle positions using snapping options' is missing when using Node Tool with Warp Group objects

Further known issues will be added to this list as they are reported to us by customers in this thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Works great - once handles can snap it will be KILLER

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
3 hours ago, Red Sands said:

EDIT: Whow, missed the above post from 

No you didn't, that's our new process at work. While we're busy with all the new posts were pressing "thanks" against your reports and adding to the Known issues post, which exists in every thread, but that post is/was hidden until someone (like you) makes the first bug report. Sorry this isn't very clear but it's new today so may take a while to get used to.

Perhaps I should unhide all the hidden "Known Issues" posts and also add "known issues will appear here as they are reported below"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 2/15/2023 at 6:30 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

Yep! Would be cool if modifiers allowed making hard corner nodes or even removing handles from one side like how the Node Tool behaves. So many possibilities for high precision transformations. :D

Totally agree - Just imagine working on a warp group, on a selection of warp nodes and having the ability to use transform mode to grow, shrink, skew and rotate within a warp group, all snapping ------ next level

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 2/15/2023 at 1:30 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

Yep! Would be cool if modifiers allowed making hard corner nodes or even removing handles from one side like how the Node Tool behaves. So many possibilities for high precision transformations. :D

I second this! The option for hard/sharp corner nodes while warping would be fantastic. 👏

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this new feature update. Really useful... Good to see Warp being developed further.
I was playing around with the possibility of creating a 'Planet Builder' Sketch Template using distortion and seamless patterns. 
In 2.04 adding a node to the Fish Eye Lens distortion caused AD to Crash (attempt to increase density of visible grid!). So been applying the same techniques in the Beta Version (No Crashes yet!)...

Wondering whether there will be updates to the functionality of the mesh where you can:
Add Nodes at mid-Points! (Especially Fish Eye!)..I found a work around by using 'Mesh' and applying reset to added grid nodes. Then manually distorting but a several step process.
or Snap to Grid!

Warping exp 01.jpg

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is the only warp related tread, so I gonna post it here.

1. Is this possible to add Flag to the list of warping groups? It is very useful and i believe needed warp. With Positive and negative bends.
2. Wouldn't it be better if Horizontal and Vertical values of Arc and Bend warps were combined? And just toggle it in context bar. gg.png.0cb807e92eba2ee4e1cd4bd767e6613d.png

😎

• Staff

So just to quickly say - better node editing and more presets is certainly on our list for a future update, but will not be in 2.1 I'm afraid.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently having problems with snapping while using the vector warp tool. I have tried to snap the node to the edge of the document bounds, but no snapping happens whatsoever. I've also tried it with other objects in the document, and still no success.

Edit:

Do I have to be on the latest beta to utilize this? I'm currently on the release channel.

Edited by SoCuul
Edit

5 hours ago, SoCuul said:

I'm currently having problems with snapping while using the vector warp tool. I have tried to snap the node to the edge of the document bounds, but no snapping happens whatsoever. I've also tried it with other objects in the document, and still no success.

Edit:

Do I have to be on the latest beta to utilize this? I'm currently on the release channel.

Hi and welcome to the forums. Yes, you need to have the beta to snap with vector warp. Or wait for the retail release of 2.1.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)