You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Main view rulers added to iPad versions

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: iPad

iPad now has rulers - you can toggle them on from the View / Preview mode drop down. This is expected to have all the functionality of the desktop versions rulers, including:

• Ability to add horizontal or vertical guides directly out from either of the rulers
  • Drag to change the ruler / page origin. This can be done by dragging from where the horizontal and vertical rulers meet (where it shows document units). This will snap to other objects, guides, grid, etc (obeying your current snapping options). You can reset the origin by double tapping in the same place.

It is expected that rulers are automatically hidden during any pan / zoom operation, and should also be toggled off with preview mode selected.

image.jpeg

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known Issues:

• none

Fixed Issues:

• AFB-7301 -  Hide rulers in full screen
  • AFB-7336 - Rulers don't stay hidden in preview mode
  • AFB-7385 - Rulers do not immediately update as you change Spread Origin values in Guides Settings

Further known issues will be added to this list as they are reported to us by customers in this thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Judy K said:

I just updated my iPad version of Designer from the App Store (Canada) and I don't see any rulers. What am I doing wrong?

Did you apply to participate in the Beta as described here, and then install the beta using TestFlight? You cannot install 2.1.0 via the App Store until it is released by Affinity, it's currently only a beta that has this feature.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
26 minutes ago, Frank Muscara said:

Problem solved, or at least identified.  When I toggled off Stage Manager, the top ruler can now be seen.  Maybe this is a bug that should be addressed.

It has been reported as a bug, previously: 

Note, though, that Stage Manager is officially not supported in the Affinity applications on macOS and iPadOS yet: 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 4:56 AM, Ash said:

Apps: All
Platforms: iPad

iPad now has rulers - you can toggle them on from the View / Preview mode drop down. This is expected to have all the functionality of the desktop versions rulers[…]

One bit of functionality that seems not to have come over from desktop is the ability to click where the rulers intersect in order to quickly switch between different units of measure. (I've only tested this on Publisher on iPad)

Granted, on desktop it's a right-click to get this, but 1) even right-clicking a connected mouse doesn't invoke it on iPad, and 2) I'm sure that matching the ability to do it at all is what really matters, more than matching the desktop's implementation method. Seems to me a single tap in this spot would be a fine way to bring up a menu of units.

on my iPad (in all three apps) I see no horizontal ruler, either when working in landscape or portrait mode. Is this default behavior and if so, how can I make the horizontal ruler visible?

I use a 2nd generation 11" iPad pro, IOS 17.2. Photo 2 version 2.4.2 build 2371 - All ipad apps are of the latest versions.

It seems that this is a known issue? 

IMG_6049.jpeg

Edited by roelandvbb
added the apps used (all affinity apps)

9 minutes ago, roelandvbb said:

on my iPad (in all three apps) I see no horizontal rule, either when working in landscape or portrait mode. Is this default behavior and if so, how can I make the horizontal ruler visible?

Works fine for me: 

image.png

-- Walt
PC:

You can see my iPad specs in my signature above.

Do you have any special display zoom settings, to magnify the screen, for example?

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can see my iPad specs in my signature above.

Do you have any special display zoom settings, to magnify the screen, for example?

No, nothing special, no specific magn. or something. I guess it is related to the relative old iPad I am using. Sometimes when I am really zoomed in very much for retouch work I see the horizontal ruler appear for a moment but I can not reproduce that behaviour

Edited by roelandvbb

7 minutes ago, roelandvbb said:

No, nothing special, no specific magn. or something. I guess it is related to the relative old iPad I am using.

There was a bug with the top ruler when Stage Manager is active in iPadOS. I can't tell from your screenshot if you have Stage Manager active (nor do I know if your iPad even supports it). If it does, you might try turning off Stage Manager to see if it resolves the problem.

Also, I found this post from Affinity Info Bot that says the bug is fixed in the 2.5 beta. So it might be interesting for you to try installing that, if you haven't already, and see if the problem still happens for you. If it does,  I would suggest posting a new topic in V2 Bugs Found on iPad so Serif can check on the problem.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, roelandvbb said:

yes, I thought it might be just me seeing the silence on this specific issue. Any suggestion on what I might do to get it working? I like to work with rulers 🙂

I noticed that a bug was reported on this issue in July 2023. I guess it was not solved for all iPad versions

Just now, walt.farrell said:

There was a bug with the top ruler when Stage Manager is active in iPadOS. I can't tell from your screenshot if you have Stage Manager active (nor do I know if your iPad even supports it). If it does, you might try turning off Stage Manager to see if it resolves the problem.

Also, I found this post from Affinity Info Bot that says the bug is fixed in the 2.5 beta. So it might be interesting for you to try installing that, if you haven't already, and see if the problem still happens for you. If it does,  I would suggest posting a new topic in V2 Bugs Found on iPad so Serif can check on the problem.

I do have the beta installed, i will have a look. I have no idea what the stage manager is, I read about the bug but can not find a stage manager option anywhere.

3 minutes ago, roelandvbb said:

but can not find a stage manager option anywhere.

There's a search bar at the top of Settings; you might type Stage Manager there. The Stage Manager function is controlled in Multi-tasking & Gestures.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, flyleaf said:

One bit of functionality that seems not to have come over from desktop is the ability to click where the rulers intersect in order to quickly switch between different units of measure. (I've only tested this on Publisher on iPad)

I don't see that either, but it seems somewhat pointless to discuss it in this old archived topic. I would suggest making a request in Feedback for the Affinity V2 Suite of Products or agreeing with one that's already there.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There's a search bar at the top of Settings; you might type Stage Manager there. The Stage Manager function is controlled in Multi-tasking & Gestures.

Nope, no search bar in my settings, unless i am completely mistaken. I used the Beta version for a screen shot

IMG_6050.png

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't see that either, but it seems somewhat pointless to discuss it in this old archived topic. I would suggest making a request in Feedback for the Affinity V2 Suite of Products or agreeing with one that's already there.

I am quite new to this forum, as you might have guessed 😉. I was not aware that this is an archived topic, sorry. There is a lot going on here, not that easy to find what is what. I did a search on 'horizontal ruler' and this was the result I found.

11 minutes ago, roelandvbb said:

Nope, no search bar in my settings, unless i am completely mistaken. I used the Beta version for a screen shot

System Settings, not application Settings.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: