You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides improvements

• Staff

Latest build is available which has alt-click delete, and alternate snap (holding shift-alt) to snap to delta rather than origin. Details here.

Colours per guide is unlikely to make it as a 2.1 thing, but I have added to wishlist for a future update. 

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

Guide Improvement Suggestions

Holding the Alt key to delete a guide would possibly benefit from the addition of a minus sign (bottom right) in the same vein as the Node tool which has the addition of a plus sign when adding nodes to a mesh or a cross symbol when holding Ctrl to delete part of a stroke from a curve? This would perhaps make it more obvious what you are about to do since Alt is used as a modifier key for many other functions...

Guides Manager

Double clicking a guide to invoke the Guides Manager gets my vote 120% and I'm definitely in favour of having the option to change guide colours on both a global and individual level...

Global Guide Colours

This could allow for different global colours to be set for both Horizontal and Vertical Guides...

455382930_GlobalGuideColour.jpg.226300ecb5ced0d7e9c05acc520a8e4e.jpg

Individual Guide Colours

This could be achieved using a right mouse click on a guide to invoke the standard colour wheel/slider panel... In addition a right mouse click could also include a context menu option to delete the guide.

224641720_GuideColour.jpg.93c502c493b4c11e1f2936bfa913a396.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Thanks - double-click for guide manager is definitely coming.

The colour thing, that is noted but will likely not be a 2.1 thing - but your implementation suggestion is very sensible!

Managing Director

1 hour ago, Ash said:

double-click for guide manager is definitely coming

this is fantastic news! Is it also intended that the guide line that you double-click is already selected? I often have a lot of guides and at the moment I have to move the guide to see which entry it is based on the changed values.

6 minutes ago, PeterB. said:

this is fantastic news! Is it also intended that the guide line that you double-click is already selected? I often have a lot of guides and at the moment I have to move the guide to see which entry it is based on the changed values.

+1

Hi there!

Love the Beta process for 2.1 even if I dont have much time to help, but if it's OK I'd like to ask for the Guides dialog to implement Lock Aspect Ratio options for Margins and Spread Origin:

Current implementation:

image.png.0f3880a0e49cc27b52d07b7202350b58.png

Request:

image.png.a9dde509b10e2c57b412f559251c59a5.png

Best regards!

Great improvement with guides - Alt clicking to delete GREAT - Shift to snap ACE 🤩

I have a couple of suggestions (I'm guessing someone here must have already thought of): When clicking on a guides measurements in guide manager, it would be really helpful if guides where nudge-able with the arrow keys. also if the guide on the page would be highlighted when clicking on a measurement so you can get a clearer idea which guide you want to edit, rather than the current behaviour of having to move a guide on the page and try to spot which measurement moves in guide manager 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

38 minutes ago, Robert Hansford said:

Any plans or thoughts on having the guides or other objects snap to ruler increments?

Um… what's wrong with: 

On 2/14/2023 at 5:30 AM, Ash said:

When dragging a guide, holding Shift will now snap the guide to ruler marks.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Scenario:

• Rulers visible, Guides hidden (View > Show Guides unticked)

When you simply click a ruler in this scenario (mouse-down), without dragging out a guide to the canvas, guides become visible and stay visible on mouse-up. So simply clicking a ruler has the same effect as ticking View > Show Guides.

This is too much, in my opinion. For it can happen that you click a ruler by accident, and you certainly don’t want to change guide visibility in such an instance.

• So I would suggest that, in the scenario described above, you should make guides visible if-and-only-if a new guide is actually created. Just clicking a ruler shouldn’t change guide visibility.
  • Alternatively, you could implement a mouse-down and mouse-up behavior in the scenario above. On mouse-down, you could show the guides, on mouse-up (without a new guide having been dragged out of the ruler) the guides would be hidden again. Guides could be displayed temporarily. Could be nice to have.

Please consider. 😀

On 2/22/2023 at 9:24 AM, Mithferion said:

Hi there!

Love the Beta process for 2.1 even if I dont have much time to help, but if it's OK I'd like to ask for the Guides dialog to implement Lock Aspect Ratio options for Margins and Spread Origin:

Current implementation:

image.png.0f3880a0e49cc27b52d07b7202350b58.png

Request:

image.png.a9dde509b10e2c57b412f559251c59a5.png

Best regards!

I think this is a good idea, but not sure locking Right and Bottom margins make sense to me. So I would take it a step further and rearrange some of the fields so that it would be more practical to use locking.

unnamed.png

Edit: I see now what you mean, I didn't catch when you said aspect ration earlier (which is a good idea). My bad. I was going by the icon near the fields in close proximity and thought you implied Right and Bottom to be locked. Regardless... the attached image shows what you suggested plus the ability to lock rows and/or columns separately as well.

unnamed2.png

Edited by Mike301
correction

2 hours ago, Ash said:

The double click a guide to open guides manager is now in the latest build👍

Works great 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hi,

it would be very useful if you made these changes into "View > Guides" panel:

1. different gutter settings for rows and columns;
  2. guides should be page (and spread) related, too -- not only to margins.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

How about revert creating the ruler guides?

Vertical ruler guide(s) are created by dragging from the horizontal ruler and vice versa. This way we can easily position the guide according the ruler.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

3 minutes ago, NNN said:

Vertical ruler guide(s) are created by dragging from the horizontal ruler and vice versa. This way we can easily position the guide according the ruler.

Does...

When dragging a guide, holding Shift will now snap the guide to ruler marks. As this is based on ruler marks this also means the further you are zoomed the granularity of the Shift-constrained snap increases. Shift will snap based on the distance from origin, Shift-Alt will snap to the delta distance.

not allow for that?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

10 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Vertical ruler guide(s) are created by dragging from the horizontal ruler and vice versa

Sorry, It had to be "should be".

On 3/1/2023 at 6:34 AM, Ash said:

The double click a guide to open guides manager is now in the latest build👍

Guides on iPad appear and disappear sporadically. See attached video, it takes a bit for guides redraw to break but it does eventually…

Another issue is that guides disappear on panning, which is not ideal…

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Holding Ctrl + drag to copy a guide is a nice time saver.

However, the copy guide action is not repeatable with Power Duplicate (Ctrl + j), which inconsistent with Ctrl + drag to copy an object.

Can this be added?

Would allow easy layout for grids for example.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff
56 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

the copy guide action is not repeatable with Power Duplicate (Ctrl + j), which inconsistent with Ctrl + drag to copy an object.

Yeah the thing with that (and this applies to a few other suggestions) is that our guides - at least as it stands - are not selectable things. This was a deliberate design decision at the beginning, but could be something we review at some stage. The reason that impacts this is that clicking on a guide does not select it (or remove your selection from whatever you currently have selected in your layers panel). Therefore hitting cmd-J will just duplicate your current layer/object selection.

There is other feedback we have had like being able to group guides, or reflecting currently selected guide position in the transform panel for example. All of which would mean switching to making guides selectable which is quite a big fundamental change and isn't something for 2.1.

I should say we also have a different kind of guide feature in our minds for the future - effectively guide layers which would allow the creation of any guides from any objects, and could be manipulated like any other object (grouped, power duplicated, anything else you can think of). But that's probably quite a way off...

Managing Director

19 minutes ago, Ash said:

I should say we also have a different kind of guide feature in our minds for the future - effectively guide layers which would allow the creation of any guides from any objects, and could be manipulated like any other object (grouped, power duplicated, anything else you can think of). But that's probably quite a way off...

Great !!!

Guides created from Layers sound so awesome. Basically opens the door for in-app "drawing templates" to become a thing and something that can be pulled from any asset. Could be very nice for content creators to get into for creating very quick mockups of what are usually complex illustration details with manual drawing tools.

• Staff
On 2/22/2023 at 2:24 PM, Mithferion said:

but if it's OK I'd like to ask for the Guides dialog to implement Lock Aspect Ratio options for Margins and Spread Origin:

This is now in the latest beta build

Managing Director