Sign in to follow this  
Venboy

Panorama hangs my iMac. Hard reboot need it

I bought this program yesterday through Apple app store. I'm trying to create a panorama using 17 jpg fotos. The preview is fine but when it goes to the render process, a status bar appear and it hangs the whole iMac. A hard reset is need it to go out the AFFINITY photo. I have tried other set of photos and it works fine. I've tried to contact technical support but looks like this is the only support we have so far....

Thanks,

Rafael

Hi Rafael,

Welcome to the forums :)

Any chance you could get these images over to me? I've tried stitching 12 images together and it works fine but if I can get access to yours it would be great. 

Feel free to message me if you wish to keep them private.

Cheers,
Chris.

Hi Venboy

I'm guessing that if left the status bar never resolves? I do find it can be quite slow when it's creating quite an intensive panorama. You mentioned tha it seemed to work fine with other images you have used, would you be able to provide a link to the images you are having trouble with so we can take a closer look?

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Yes the status bar never resolves. I let it works all the night and I found my iMac reseted in the morning !.

I have sent you (both) a link with the photos.

Regards,

Rafael

Hi Rafael,

Thank you for sending the images.

I have successfully created a panorama from them this morning, however I did encounter a spinning beach ball throughout the process. It also took about 5 minutes from start to finish.

I noticed that the final product is 39,231 x 6,833 which is pretty big but as far as I'm aware there are/should be no limits regarding the number or size of images we attempt to stitch.

Can you provide me with the specs of your iMac please? Are the images local or are they stored over a network drive? I'm going to try and test this on a few different devices to see what happens.

I'll get back to you once I've poked this a bit more. Thanks again for sending the pics over.

Hi Chris,

The images are stored in a WD external Hard Drive connected to my iMac by USB 3.0

This is my IMac specs:

iMac 21.5 inch, Late 2013

Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVidia GForce GT 750 1024 MB ram

Hard Disk 1 TB, space available: 400GB

Hi Rafael,

Thank you for the specs. It's slightly faster than the iMac I'm using so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

I've just tried using a USB 2.0 stick to load the images into AP as the transfer speed via USB is much slower which may have been causing the issue but this also worked fine...

- Does AP allow you to stitch say, half of the images? Could you double check that as a test for me, please? 

- Are the other images you stitched together from the same camera and resolution?

Thanks

Chris, the other couple of panoramas I did were made with same camera (vertical oriented as well) and 12 photos (if I remember well). I have the raw photos too but looks like using raw will take much more time.

When I get home I'll try to stitch 10 photos of the problematic set. I'll let you know the rersults.

Regards

Hi Chris. I use 15 of the 17 photos and hardly finished the panorama creation. I've tried to create a 16 photo panorama and then I got hang my iMac again.

I notice an info in the right lower section of the screen that say:

Memory pressure: 100%

Memory efficiency: 506%

Both of them were increasing each second and when "Memory pressure" reached the 100% the iMac stopped working. 

I have attached an screen shot of this last moment.

post-27373-0-62311900-1455767347_thumb.png

Hi Rafael,

I did a test this morning and my Info tab reported the following around the time yours was freezing up.

Memory Pressure - 109%

Memory Efficiency - 702%

I'm going to ask one of the developers for some advice so we can hopefully get this resolved for you without taking too much more of your time.

Thanks for your patience so far :)

Hi Rafael,

Sorry I've been away for a few days.

We're still unable to replicate the issue you're having, even though you have a slightly more powerful iMac.I'm going to see if we can dig out some additional hardware to test this on but as it stands, 3 different iMac's have all completed the panorama without much trouble. 

Just for research purposes, can you try adding the images locally on the HDD and attempt to stitch? The only thing I can think of that is vastly different is the external HDD you're using.

Hi Rafael,

Development seem to think the issue lies with the available memory when stitching the panorama. I checked the Activity Monitor and during the process I sat at around 7.16 GB out of 8.00 GB available. 

Idle I'm using 2.85GB so the process seems to be using around 4GB of memory. Can you run through the process and report back what your memory usage is, please.

I tried once more  and the computer badly crashed. This time I put the files in the local HD. I went to have my dinner while Affinity was doing its job. When I returned the computer screen was totally black and I couldn't recovered it. A hard reset was required to get it out of the process.

:-(

Hi Rafael,

It's always difficult to fix an issue without steps to reproduce it or without a crash report etc so I've asked development if they have any ideas as to why this issue seems to be unique to you. I don't think it's a memory issue as you still have some usable during the process. 

Are there any background tasks you could try and disable to free up some extra memory? If you could get the idle memory down to about 2GB (which is what mine is at) we can find out for certain if it is a memory issue.