You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mouse arrow and refine selection tool

Darner

To Affinity People

Affinity Photo V2.
When having brush selected and open "refine tool" for edit selection, the mouse pointer shows as brush circle instead of mouse arrow. Happens every time, have the latest version. Screen shot does not include mouse pointer unfortunately.

What advantage would the Mouse Pointer have over the Brush? I mean we use the brush to select the areas that need refining. I don't see how an Arrow would be of any practical use in that instance.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Not looking for point of view on this one Bruce. It's a bug feedback, not a preference.
The pointer arrow used throughout computer software for selecting files and objects etc with your mouse, are seen as a big circle (brush tool view), instead of the main pointer arrow, when adjusting variations in the "refine edge" menu, Affinty Photo V2.
Hope this clarifies. If you still don't understand that's ok, but again, it's a bug feedback.

So you have the brush outline when working with Menus and Dialogs. 

When was the last time you shut down the Mac? A lot of cruft can cause problems like this and I find it happening here on my machine if I haven't followed my own advice for a few days/weeks.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Darner said:

The pointer arrow used throughout computer software for selecting files and objects etc with your mouse, are seen as a big circle (brush tool view), instead of the main pointer arrow, when adjusting variations in the "refine edge" menu, Affinty Photo V2.

@Darner, assuming this is what you are referring to then this appears to be working as expected... let me know if I'm missing something... It would be helpful if you could let us know which version of macOS you're running in case the issue you have is OS specific.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

14 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

So you have the brush outline when working with Menus and Dialogs. 

When was the last time you shut down the Mac? A lot of cruft can cause problems like this and I find it happening here on my machine if I haven't followed my own advice for a few days/weeks.

Shut down recently. Tried do so again now to make sure. Still same problem occurs. Thanks for feedback though.

13 hours ago, Hangman said:

@Darner, assuming this is what you are referring to then this appears to be working as expected... let me know if I'm missing something... It would be helpful if you could let us know which version of macOS you're running in case the issue you have is OS specific.

Thank you for the feedback Hangman.
Your picture does not describe the issue. Problem is that a screenhot does not include OS pointer arrow😳😂 But I figured to take a photo of the screen to show the bug. Hope Affinity are able to fix. Work arounds does exist, still would be better without the issue:)

Refine.JPG

1 hour ago, Darner said:

Problem is that a screenhot does not include OS pointer arrow😳😂

@Darner, apologies if I've still not understood the exact nature of the issue you're experiencing here...

When you say that "a screenshot does not include OS pointer arrow" I assume you referring to a literal screenshot you've made from your screen using something like Cmd Shift 3 on your keyboard...

Selecting Cmd Shift 5 gives you various options, one of which is to Show Mouse Pointer, is this what you are referring to?

1385682653_MousePointer.jpg.678fe1212c14cae7894d2ed8cf3b4474.jpg

From the description in your original post it sounded as though you were not seeing the mouse pointer when using Refine Selection with the brush tool selected and your mouse pointer appeared over the Refine Selection Panel as a brush (circle) like you've shown in your screenshot above...

I'm seeing the mouse pointer as an arrow when using the Refine Selection (as demonstrated in the screen recording) and I also see the mouse pointer when making a screen recording, again, as shown in the video clip and I also see the mouse pointer when making a screenshot if Show Mouse Pointer is selected from the options menu, as shown in the screenshot above...

Could you let me know if I'm still missing the point here as I'm struggling to think what else you may mean or under what circumstances you're seeing this particular issue.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

11 minutes ago, Hangman said:

@Darner, apologies if I've still not understood the exact nature of the issue you're experiencing here...

When you say that "a screenshot does not include OS pointer arrow" I assume you referring to a literal screenshot you've made from your screen using something like Cmd Shift 3 on your keyboard...

Selecting Cmd Shift 5 gives you various options, one of which is to Show Mouse Pointer, is this what you are referring to?

1385682653_MousePointer.jpg.678fe1212c14cae7894d2ed8cf3b4474.jpg

From the description in your original post it sounded as though you were not seeing the mouse pointer when using Refine Selection with the brush tool selected and your mouse pointer appeared over the Refine Selection Panel as a brush (circle) like you've shown in your screenshot above...

I'm seeing the mouse pointer as an arrow when using the Refine Selection (as demonstrated in the screen recording) and I also see the mouse pointer when making a screen recording, again, as shown in the video clip and I also see the mouse pointer when making a screenshot if Show Mouse Pointer is selected from the options menu, as shown in the screenshot above...

Could you let me know if I'm still missing the point here as I'm struggling to think what else you may mean or under what circumstances you're seeing this particular issue.

Thank you for elaborating.
If you see picture attached in previous post, you'll see the issue of showing brush circle selection instead of mouse pointer. I took a picture with iPhone. But will note the screenshot things. Let me know if anything else

5 minutes ago, Darner said:

If you see picture attached in previous post, you'll see the issue of showing brush circle selection instead of mouse pointer. I took a picture with iPhone. But will note the screenshot things. Let me know if anything else

For clarify, is this issue happening for you when you are:

1. Just using Refine Selection in the app itself, i.e., when your mouse moves over the Refine Selection Panel with the brush tool selected it doesn't change to the mouse pointer for you but remains as the circular brush tool?

2. Trying to make a video recording of your screen to demonstrate the problem?

3. Making a screegrab of your screen where the mouse point is visible?

Could you also confirm which version of macOS you are running...

• Staff

Hi @Darner,
I can reproduce this in a very specific circumstance: If I paint with the brush while refining the selection and place the cursor "to rest" over the Refine dialog while it is still processing the selection I just painted, the cursor does switch to a circle over the Refine dialog once the processing finishes. I must move the cursor out of the Refine Selection dialog then back in for it to change to the regular selection cursor. Is this what you are doing? Here's a video clip:

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

For clarify, is this issue happening for you when you are:

1. Just using Refine Selection in the app itself, i.e., when your mouse moves over the Refine Selection Panel with the brush tool selected it doesn't change to the mouse pointer for you but remains as the circular brush tool?

2. Trying to make a video recording of your screen to demonstrate the problem?

3. Making a screegrab of your screen where the mouse point is visible?

Could you also confirm which version of macOS you are running...

Hi.
1 is the main bug was referring to. Thanks

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi @Darner,
I can reproduce this in a very specific circumstance: If I paint with the brush while refining the selection and place the cursor "to rest" over the Refine dialog while it is still processing the selection I just painted, the cursor does switch to a circle over the Refine dialog once the processing finishes. I must move the cursor out of the Refine Selection dialog then back in for it to change to the regular selection cursor. Is this what you are doing? Here's a video clip:

Thanks for feedback.
Experience that it remains as circle even after started adjusting. See attached picture.

Refine.thumb.JPG.39b51917aa6e2c0b6726c3dc60ed18b8.jpg

Thank you for answering. 
Basically select then click refine...
Pointer remains a circle everytime even when the mouse is fully over the refine panel, also when adjusting.

There are probably workarounds, but seems like a bug. Use latest versions on Mac and Affinity, did restart. Hope this clarifies a bit. Pls msg if need more info!