BlauerClaus

Difference between Exposure and Brightness at Develop persona?

Possibly these are stupid questions, but even the help file have not helped me: 

- Why can we change the black point in the basic settings in the develop persona, but not the white point?

- A the same position in the Develop Persona: what is the difference between Exposure and Brightness? Playing around with both sliders show identical changes in the histogram and photo.

Best regards

BlauerClaus

Hi BlauerClaus :)

You can use the White Balance tool in the Develop Persona for White Point, click on the tool and then click on the part of the image that you wish to apply the balance to.

With regards to Exposure and Brightness, Exposure tool controls the highlight/shadow levels of an image and Brightness controls the lightness/darkness of the image.

I hope this helps.
J

Posted (edited)

Just noticed this is from 2016 LOL but hey still have the question. 

I have the same question and that description does not help at all. What is the difference between Lightness and darkness and Highlight and shadow? The manual does nothing to explain the difference either. Seems like something that needs a simple technical answer so users can better understand when to use one over the other or how to use them together better. For me right now it is I try one then the other and go for the one I like best. I just want to understand ;) 

Edited by Sugar Lion
Noticed old post!

Just found this here in the forum. Seems to be the best answer so far....

Lee D

• I'm not a window cleaner
  •  
  • Lee D
  • Moderators
  • staff.png.c356aec36362b0392a2d932c9ff350
  • 2,516 posts
  • Both are similar, Brightness will preserve the highlights and is usually used for adjusting midtones whereas adjusting the Exposure will blow them out.