You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing Motion Blur (Camera Shake) in Affinity Photo

Whilst trying to rescue a photo taken at a low light event, I was researching this solution and found that Photoshop has a filter called 'shake reduction' to tackle this very problem.

There is also a manual solution in Photoshop by using the 'Ruler Tool' to determine the angle and radius of the blur. The last step is to use a filter called 'Smart Sharpen' where these measurements are entered followed by some fine tuning of the image.

Here is the link to the YouTube video explaining these steps:

You can probably guess my question; Does Affinity Photo have equivalent tools to these Photoshop tools or is there a different route to achieving the same end result in AP?

Both "shake reduction" and "smart sharpen" use deconvolution (some crazy math running on the background).
"shake reduction" can estimate both direction and amount of blur.
As far as I know this is not possible in A.Photo and even if it were possible deconvolution would not be my first choice.
I've seen AI software with very good results removing motion blur. From Topaz, I think.
But dont get your expectations to high. Motion Blur is one of the hardest problems to fix.

33 minutes ago, Lisbon said:

Motion Blur is one of the hardest problems to fix.

Most of the "hard" work is due to camera motion in one direction and subject motion in a different direction. Or most often multiple directions during the exposure.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:12 PM, Lisbon said:

Motion Blur is one of the hardest problems to fix.

I agree it's not easy to eradicate motion blur and I wouldn't normally look to employ it as I'd just ditch the image, however, when there's a solitary image capturing a particular moment that can't be replicated, I want to try and rescue it. Whilst it may be difficult to remove it completely, I'd settle for improving the result sufficiently for it to be acceptable. Clearly, PS offers some solutions to improve results but, AP doesn't appear to offer similar tools and I just wanted to know that I hadn't overlooked a similar tool in AP.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:12 PM, Lisbon said:

I've seen AI software with very good results removing motion blur. From Topaz, I think.

Yes, I think I've seen something in Topaz but, it is AP that I'm using.

2 hours ago, Graham1 said:

...however, when there's a solitary image capturing a particular moment that can't be replicated, I want to try and rescue it. Whilst it may be difficult to remove it completely, I'd settle for improving the result sufficiently for it to be acceptable...

Agree 100%.

2 hours ago, Graham1 said:

Clearly, PS offers some solutions to improve results but, AP doesn't appear to offer similar tools and I just wanted to know that I hadn't overlooked a similar tool in AP.

Undoubtedly, Photoshop has tools that A.Photo does not have.

What I question is the quality of the results compared to this generation of AI software.

I don't know if things have improved, but "shake reduction" used to leave a lot of wavy patterns in the image.

On 2/12/2023 at 5:05 PM, Lisbon said:

I don't know if things have improved, but "shake reduction" used to leave a lot of wavy patterns in the image.

I don't know for sure either and I can only go on Forum input such as this and YouTube videos such as the one embedded within my original post. The improvement shown in the videos looks impressive; they may have selected an image that works well to make the software appear better than it is for the majority of images but, still looks worthwhile and I think it would be advantageous to have such a tool in AP as well as a 'full screen preview' whilst editing.