You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: Windows, macOS and iPad

We have implemented some analytics within the apps which you can optionally choose to share with us. These are fully anonymous so we cannot identify anything down to an individual, but it just gives us some top-level data about our apps usage and stability on different hardware, languages and operating systems. This is incredibly useful to us, and ultimately helps in being able to produce better and more stable apps - so we would really appreciate it if you do choose to share analytics with us, but also of course understand if you choose not to. You will be prompted about this on the first run of one app in the suite on each platform, and you can also change your preference at any time in settings.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known Issues

• none currently

Fixed Issues

• AFB-7307 - Send anonymous usage information has no toggle on iPad in beta.

Further known issues will be added to this list as they are reported to us by customers in this thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 2/8/2023 at 11:56 AM, Ash said:

You will be prompted about this on first run, and you can also change your preference at anytime in settings.

A couple of comments:

1. It appears the agreement to send Analytics applies to the entire suite. So once you agree in one app you are not asked in the others.
  2. At this time, it appears that once you have agreed, you cannot opt-out. Is that a beta thing (as sending crash reports was in the old betas), or is opt-out coming later?
    (Only tested this on iPad so far.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
5 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Is that even legal?

Yes when the data is anonymous, but the inability to opt out is an oversight I think. 

I am Data protection officer and the developer who has added the analytics has been through the data and satisfied me that this is not a data protection concern. This is covered by our the "Our Applications" section of our Privacy Policy, which has said this for a while now.

In addition to this our beta versions of the applications will automatically send additional data to help diagnose issues including GFX card information, Direct X data, CPU info and platform patches.

The wording will stop talking about beta when 2.1 is released, but this should be optional in release and beta

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Murfee said:

....but on my Mac there is an option under general in preferences

it's a UI oversight on iPad, will be enabled in the next build, and already is that way on desktop. I will add it to the Known issues list above

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

This is very, very minor, but on macOS perhaps some of the blank space between Send Anonymous Data... and Store Fonts button could be tightened up because Language no longer fits without scrolling. This is the only Settings page that doesn't fit.

2014837077_Screenshot2023-02-15at7_29_52AM.thumb.png.2df07682e4e0cec9c9682bbd8cb2495f.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@MikeTOIndeed. Though, I would honestly put it into a new category with some additional text that explains what data it's gathering more in depth. I like it when data gathering is very transparent with what the data contains and what it will be used/not used for. Data mining is a huge business in this day and age, so being well informed on what we are sending over would be appreciated.

• Staff

Some samples of the anonymous data that is sent. It is OS, hardware and locale but nothing that can be traced back to a person, so not personal data

image.png

image.png

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Here for y'all to post on the forum like an intercom at retail: "Who owns the PC with the janky 4 monitor layout with varying resolutions and an Intel Arc+AMD combo. Your alarm is going off and your log is full. Please turn it off."

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

• Staff
On 2/15/2023 at 12:35 PM, MikeTO said:

This is very, very minor, but on macOS perhaps some of the blank space between Send Anonymous Data... and Store Fonts button could be tightened up because Language no longer fits without scrolling. This is the only Settings page that doesn't fit.

2014837077_Screenshot2023-02-15at7_29_52AM.thumb.png.2df07682e4e0cec9c9682bbd8cb2495f.png

We have something brewing for this :)

1 minute ago, Tom Lachecki said:

We have something brewing for this :)

Maybe an in-app Lemmings game activated when we select an obscure combination of settings?1074921015_Screenshot2023-02-16at12_10_43PM.thumb.png.a070e26cd9672f3ebdfdafe467d2ad61.png

Very minor but you might consider rewording this new text added in the beta:

• Store fonts (*.affont) will be loaded from the Affinity Fonts folder on startup: Open Affinity Fonts Folder in Finder
    to
  • Affinity Store fonts (*.affont) will be loaded from the AffinityFonts folder on startup: Show in Finder
    which would clarify the store, use the actual folder name, and match the Show in Finder button name used in the Resource Manager

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

13 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Maybe an in-app Lemmings game activated when we select an obscure combination of settings?

Not familiar with that but If it was the old arcade version of Asteroids I would never get anything else done, so there would need to be a time limit.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Not familiar with that but If it was the old arcade version of Asteroids I would never get anything else done, so there would need to be a time limit.

Tetris for me.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

5 minutes ago, Red Sands said:

A lot can happen in a year

Most likely there will be new betas to test. I delete the old betas and stop using them after there is a new update.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

The issue "Send anonymous usage information has no toggle on iPad beta" (REF: AFB-7307) has now been fixed by the developers.
This fix is included in build 2.1.0.1709 (or later) which is already available as a customer beta and will be included in the next release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.

If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2023 at 2:12 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Some samples of the anonymous data that is sent. It is OS, hardware and locale but nothing that can be traced back to a person, so not personal data

image.png

image.png

I like it a lot that you ask for the data and try to be transparent. It's very much noticed that you trying it to do the right way!

And it should be the standard to show the raw data of what will be shared.

Is it be possible to add away to the program to show the actual shared JSON data that will be sent? A simple save as to disc or showing it in a pop-up is more than enough. This would increase trust a lot.

I like to help with data as long as I'm 100 percent in control if I want to do it and can check what I share.